Annoying Issue with my Chaparral

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VeloWeave

Annoying Issue with my Chaparral

Post by VeloWeave »

I'll start off by saying that I love the Chaparral. I am close to calling it one of the best small gentlemans folders for around $100 except for one very annoying problem. My example has an annoying gritty sound whenever I open it one handed using the Spydie Hole. Both left handed and right handed. When I open it two handed the grittyness is not heard but I still feel it. Is this common to the Chaparral line or does mine need some work done on it? I had intended on getting the Ti Chaparral but I'm hesitant if they're gritty. I know the tollerances on the Chaparral are very tight, so there is not much room in there to get things just right but I'm sure it can be done, no?

The fact that this knife so light, premium steel, beautiful scales, nice blade shape, and thin make it the perfect gents edc. If I could only get rid of the grittyness it would be the knife I reach for on most occasions. Right now though the blades getting the most carry for me are my Delica 4 and Southard flipper.

I thought about taking it down and seeing what the issue might be but the torx screw at the pivot is on there pretty darn good and I didn't want to take the chance of stripping the screw so I didn't. I can still use the knife, it's usability isn't affected by this issue, it's just the fit/finish that I expect out of a knife in this price range is just not there with my copy. I know Spyderco can do it, as my Southard and Delica are amazing examples of Spyderco's prowess.

Any suggestions guys would be appreciated. I came here because I figured you guys are the experts on Spydercos. Thanks in advance.
ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS »

Welcome VeloWeave, lots of discussions on this. You're not alone. Do a search. Many noted it seemed to be some burrs on the tang IIRC.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

This was a common issue when they first came out. I had a gritty one myself. I'd recommend sending it back to the dealer for an exchange if possible (that's what I did, and my replacement was and still is smooth as glass).

The grittyness problem seems to have been solved on the Ti model.
:bug-red-white
arty

Post by arty »

I added some lube (blue lube) and the grittiness went away over time.
PMBohol

Post by PMBohol »

A lot of users reported success by flushing the pivot in soapy water and then rinsing and drying. Compressed air is helpful in the drying process. Then squirt some WD-40 into the pivot and blow that out to clean and remove any water left. Then you can lube with your favorite lube.
VeloWeave

Post by VeloWeave »

Do I need to take my knife apart to do this?
PMBohol

Post by PMBohol »

Nope, just swish it around in a container of soapy water and under a running faucet.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

My understanding is this issue was corrected after the first production run of the CF Chaparral. What is the date code on your knife box? It should be two uppercase letters. This is code for the month any year but I don't know the code. Others here have translated it into a date. Maybe someone can do this again. Also, where is the info on this translation? It may be in the edge-u-cation and I'll look there. If yours proves to be one of the first bunch made a replacement from your vendor could be the answer. If you return it let them know the issue and ask that the replacement be one of the newer knives made. There have been several things that have worked with different people. I think it was really a matter of burrs in various places in the pivot so it would be hard to know EXACTLY what will fix yours. Other than cleaning, lubrication and waiting for a small break-in period the only action I think you can take that involves no disassembly is to use an UF Spyderco rod and file any tiny burrs from the tang stamp on both sides. I mean where it says Spycerco, blade steel and manufacturing location. Other than that you will need to disassemble the knife which will void the warranty. If you try cleaning and lubrication or the tang stamp filing and it works, GREAT! Other than that I'd go for a replacement with a newer knife. Good luck. The knife is definately a great model. The Chaparral 2 (titanium) has no problems that I've heard of. Mine is perfect.

Good luck. I know you will be happy with whatever fix action is performed (personal fix or replacement). I know how frustrating it is to have a GREAT knife with one little quirk that you feel/hear every time you open it.

Jack
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

VeloWeave wrote:one very annoying problem. My example has an annoying gritty sound whenever I open it one handed using the Spydie Hole.
There is a video on YouTube regarding this issue. It seems to be a burr or something on the tang, or perhaps, the lock bar is dragging because of the design. The owner in the video took a piece of the waxed paper from some double sided tape and put it between the lock bar and the blade tang and it stopped the noise. This shows the problem is in that area. In any case, it is easily fixed with some light polishing with standard toothpaste (paste, not gel).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Minnesotapride88

Post by Minnesotapride88 »

Try to open the blade straight with very little pressure towards the liners. I noticed that what I thought was grittiness was just the blade rubbing against the liner around the pivot because I was pressing down too hard on the Spyder hole.
VeloWeave

Post by VeloWeave »

jackknifeh wrote:My understanding is this issue was corrected after the first production run of the CF Chaparral. What is the date code on your knife box? It should be two uppercase letters.
Thanks Jack. Mine code is DL which denotes April 2012. Here is the link I used for Spyderco Date Codes. Don't know when the first Chaparral came out so if you guys know please let me know if this is an early version or one that should have been corrected.
Minnesotapride88 wrote:Try to open the blade straight with very little pressure towards the liners. I noticed that what I thought was grittiness was just the blade rubbing against the liner around the pivot because I was pressing down too hard on the Spyder hole.
Maybe, but my other Spyderco backlocks don't do it, my two delicas are smooth as can be. When I open it straight away I can still hear the gritty sound but not as pronounced. It is still sticky as can be once it gets about 30 degrees open all the way to lockup. It feels like the pivot just doesn't want to pivot.
VeloWeave

Post by VeloWeave »

I just tried to loosen the pivot screws to see if maybe they were too tight. The pivot screw on the right side (the side that a right hand would open the knife) was tight but I was able to loosen it. The pivot screw on the left side is like somebody welded that sucker in there. I tried with all my might and couldn't budge the screw. It started stripping it so I stopped and gave up. I think I need to send this one into Spyderco. I ordered it through Amazon last August so who should this knife go back to. I think I'm probably past the return period for Amazon.

Thanks.
VeloWeave

Post by VeloWeave »

I ended up sending it back to Spyderco and asked them to take a look and fix it for me. They chose to instead send me a replacement and I must say it is smooth as butter. Thanks Spyderco for taking good care of me!
Most Carried: Sebenza Insingo small, Chaparral, Modded Southard Flipper, Delica 4, Ritter Mini-Grip, Techno, Injection 3.0
Wishlist 2014: Sage 2, Mnandi, Krein Alpha,
Other's I own or have sold: Vallotton, Anso Zulu, Blur CF, Scallion, Leaf Storm, Sage 2, Caly 3 CF
Flashlight EDC: Preon 0, Peak Eiger AAA Oveready edition with QTC & momentary button Nichia 219 emitter, Beta-QR, Muyshondt Aeon
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Thanks for the report :) .