How often do you catch your pocket clip on something?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Toddles

How often do you catch your pocket clip on something?

Post by Toddles »

I'm sitting here reading some papers for my econometrics class an I figured I could use a break.

So, how often do you guy catch your pocket clip on something and bend it out so it becomes worthless until you get home to fix it? It doesn't happen to me very often, but I managed to do it again today when I got up from my office chair and it caught the arm rest.

I think I've managed to do it the most with my military.

Anyway...random thought of the day.
Dynamic Programming: It's not fun.
endgame

Post by endgame »

My Smith and Wesson ans sogs fought on everything but have yet to catch my spydies
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

I recently got a caly 3 with the wire clip and I have found I had zero catches. On the other hand some of my other knives seem to catch and scratch quite often.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

On my (FRN) Natives: all the time. On every other knife: never. The squarish clip end on the Natives catches things easily.
All God's critters have knives.
Toddles

Post by Toddles »

I find that too. I've never caught a wire clip on something and only a few times with an hour glass one, but I seem to manage it semi-frequently with the one on the milly.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

It is a problem I encounter on occassions. It's usually something that has a net-like fabric or one of those potato sacks with the wire type nylon weave that will usually try to steal one of my prized Spyders.

I just try to be mindful of the types of materials that tend to catch on my Spyderco pocket clips and this year thankfully I haven't lost anything as of yet.

I'm currently working on making a type of inner pocket that will prevent that from happening.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

i actually broke the wire clip of my caly 3 when i got out my car :/ - already fixed of course! but that was the very only one ever i caught any clip at something
aogami super blue dragonfly!
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

I have only snagged a clop badly once. On my chaparral, it broke the wire
appliancejunk

Post by appliancejunk »

Never, but the only knife I have with a pocket click is my Delica 4.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I only have a couple times and that was years ago. I think I just became aware of the possibility and avoid it as second nature.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Evil D wrote:I only have a couple times and that was years ago. I think I just became aware of the possibility and avoid it as second nature.
This. I also scratched up the side of my new car once or twice without thinking. Learned the hard way. So I sold the car, bought a new jeep and I pay more attention.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

Never. I mostly carry knives with the wire clip.
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The only time my clip catches is when I carry a Military in my back pocket. Those square corners really like to catch on my couch fabric. I haven't been carrying a Millie much lately because of the snaggy clip. I usually wear my shirts tucked out on top of my clips, so they don't snag.

I did have a flashlight get pulled out of my pocket by a retractable dog leash once, but that's never happened with a knife.
:bug-red-white
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:This. I also scratched up the side of my new car once or twice without thinking. Learned the hard way. So I sold the car, bought a new jeep and I pay more attention.
Me too. Long time ago with my first Spydie. Scratched my car, so had to sell it and buy a new one. Also scratched the door jams in my house and assorted furniture. Looks like I'll have to sell the house and get a new one.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Caught and bent my PPT clip and another with an hourglass. My more serious problem has been when the tip of the clip slices through fabric or scratches leather on furniture, which is my main reason for favoring wire clips or back pocket carry.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Sequimite wrote:Caught and bent my PPT clip and another with an hourglass. My more serious problem has been when the tip of the clip slices through fabric or scratches leather on furniture, which is my main reason for favoring wire clips or back pocket carry.
I strongly favor wire clips too and also tend to carry RRP or IWB more than any other way. As for my PPT, I used a Dremel to round off the pointy end of the clip.
Toddles

Post by Toddles »

Alright, lets a another dimension of structure to this:

How many of you wear carpenter jeans? I love them and they're nearly the only type of jeans I'll wear. But, along with that the pockets are cut nice and wide so you can shove stuff in and out of them really easy.

But, they're also probably the reason why I catch pocket clips on things sometimes. BUT, the cool thing is that secondary pocket inside the main one that rides higher (watch pocket I think they're traditionally called?). Lately I've found myself carrying more and more in that pocket as it's out of the way and it's deep enough to put nearly everything in.

appliancejunk

Post by appliancejunk »

How many of you wear carpenter jeans?
Not I, just don't care for them.

Relax fit jeans or shorts. Knife clipped to right front pocket along with phone.
Left front pocket has Fenix LD12 G2 flashlight and my wallet, just what works for me.

Sometimes in my watch pocket I will carry a Spyderco Ladybug or a small/thin 10' tape measure.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

einstein2001 wrote:Never. I mostly carry knives with the wire clip.
Ironically, the wire clip is the only one I've ever snagged.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Never that I recall, but I don't carry a knife all day, just when I'm not in class.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5