What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
legOFwhat?

Re: What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Post by legOFwhat? »

-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
anycal

Post by anycal »

Peter
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:59 am
The Meat man wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:13 am
I have come to the realization that "toughness" is not an ideal quality in a knife steel (for me at least.) What I want is edge strength, not toughness. Yes, Cruwear might be a "tough" steel in that it rolls instead of chips when cutting through electrical wires, but how about Maxamet (or 4V) which does neither?
I don't care how "tough" a steel is, I just want edge strength.
Yes. I'm learning that, too. But I also want to balance edge strength with relative ease of sharpening. So 4v has been awesome for me. I think rex45 will also be great in this regard with the right tools (and hopefully k390...still haven't done a full sharpening on my pm2). Maxamet...I'm not so sure I want that challenge. 10v...I'm about to find out.
You're gonna abso-fu'hecking-lutely LOVE 10V; it's the only Spyderco that I actually bought two of the same model (K2) and they're not going anywhere :D

I'm toying with the idea of obtaining titanium colored scales for the PM2 in 10v... :spyder:
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

The Meat man wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:25 pm
I like it Bloke! That little ladybug just seems to fit right in there like it was made for it. :cool:
Thanks Connor and my little darling is Always Ready. ;)

I’ve been wanting to take a picture like that for a while, but photos on Defence Bases here are a big No, No, even though I have a National Security Clearance to Secret.

I took the punt but there’d have been **** to pay if I got caught. :eek:

On the topic of Cruwear, which I don’t have any of Spyderco’s offerings; I can’t help thinking it and many other popular steels would end up a mess if subjected to the punishment I’ve put 4V through in my Province.

Edge stability rules! :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

toxophilus wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:19 pm
JuPaul wrote:
The Meat man wrote:
I have come to the realization that "toughness" is not an ideal quality in a knife steel (for me at least.) What I want is edge strength, not toughness. Yes, Cruwear might be a "tough" steel in that it rolls instead of chips when cutting through electrical wires, but how about Maxamet (or 4V) which does neither?
Yes. I'm learning that, too. But I also want to balance edge strength with relative ease of sharpening. So 4v has been awesome for me. I think rex45 will also be great in this regard with the right tools (and hopefully k390...still haven't done a full sharpening on my pm2). Maxamet...I'm not so sure I want that challenge. 10v...I'm about to find out.
You're gonna abso-fu'hecking-lutely LOVE 10V; it's the only Spyderco that I actually bought two of the same model (K2) and they're not going anywhere :D

I'm toying with the idea of obtaining titanium colored scales for the PM2 in 10v... :spyder:
I'm very glad to hear you say that!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

^ That Weisse-N-Easy looks like a good one to try. I like a good Hefeweizen!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:32 am
I hear ya Connor, edge strength for hard use working knives is rating higher for me as well as I've been learning more about these steels. I'm annoyed that I haven't done this sooner in my journey, where I would carry a different knife in a different steel everyday and not really learn anything about the model or the steel! I'm also interested in some Maxamet...but that's some pricey stuff!!
Yeah it's not cheap (especially after the price increases) but Maxamet would make a great first Native for you Rick. I think you'd enjoy using the steel in your warehouse setting. :cool:

My first "expensive" Spyderco was the N5 Maxamet. I've been pretty rough with it and it keeps coming back for more.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:30 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:25 pm
I like it Bloke! That little ladybug just seems to fit right in there like it was made for it. :cool:
Thanks Connor and my little darling is Always Ready. ;)

I’ve been wanting to take a picture like that for a while, but photos on Defence Bases here are a big No, No, even though I have a National Security Clearance to Secret.

I took the punt but there’d have been **** to pay if I got caught. :eek:

On the topic of Cruwear, which I don’t have any of Spyderco’s offerings; I can’t help thinking it and many other popular steels would end up a mess if subjected to the punishment I’ve put 4V through in my Province.

Edge stability rules! :)
Don't worry Bloke, your secret is safe here. :p :cool:

Yeah I think of all the Spyderco steels I have tried so far, my favorite for all around performance goes to CPM 4V. What I'd really like to see is a serrated model offered in the steel!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

JuPaul wrote:
The Meat man wrote:
What sharpening tool(s) do you use?
Yes, IMO CPM 4V really shines because at the high hardness Spyderco does - 64+ HRC - combined with a relatively low carbide volume (8%) it's got lots of edge strength, and since it's a vanadium steel, it still has pretty good wear resistance while being quicker to sharpen than many other "super steels".
- Connor

SG89

Post by SG89 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:16 pm
^ That Weisse-N-Easy looks like a good one to try. I like a good Hefeweizen!
Sad to day it's not very good IMO lol
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:03 pm
JuPaul wrote:
The Meat man wrote:
Yes, IMO CPM 4V really shines because at the high hardness Spyderco does - 64+ HRC - combined with a relatively low carbide volume (8%) it's got lots of edge strength, and since it's a vanadium steel, it still has pretty good wear resistance while being quicker to sharpen than many other "super steels".
I mostly use my KME with diamond stones now (50 grit through 1500 stones, plus lapping films), although I do also have diamond rods for my sharpmaker.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Just sitting around today and touching up a couple of knives that I've been using to open the deliveries over the last week...

-Turbo
JMM

Post by JMM »

5-by-5 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:47 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:47 am
Just finished cooking the first breakfast on my new stove, that finally arrived yesterday. Decided it was a good photo op.

I am REALLY liking this Ulize, it is seriously becoming a favorite.

The handle is so, ridiculously comfortable and the blade shape has turned out to be very useful. It is a MASSIVE knife, yet when you put it in your pocket, it disappears. It may not be able to "beat" my Caribbean, but it is not far from being equal.

Time will tell and this one will certainly be given the time.
We need a sprint of the Ulize. Black G10 with a blue stripe through it

Yes, yes, so much yes! I've been singing the praises of the Ulize for a couple years now -- I have big (wide) paws, and it fits my hand better than any other knife I've ever owned... I would *LOVE* to see a run with a good tool steel (4v, rex45, k390, cruwear) Perhaps with an option of DLC or Satin, and SE & PE?! It's such a cutting beast as it is, I think an SE blade on it would be ridiculously amazing! :D

Cheers,

John
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Resized_20200320_102744.jpeg
Resized_20200320_102902.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

JMM wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:08 am
5-by-5 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:47 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:47 am
Just finished cooking the first breakfast on my new stove, that finally arrived yesterday. Decided it was a good photo op.

I am REALLY liking this Ulize, it is seriously becoming a favorite.

The handle is so, ridiculously comfortable and the blade shape has turned out to be very useful. It is a MASSIVE knife, yet when you put it in your pocket, it disappears. It may not be able to "beat" my Caribbean, but it is not far from being equal.

Time will tell and this one will certainly be given the time.
We need a sprint of the Ulize. Black G10 with a blue stripe through it

Yes, yes, so much yes! I've been singing the praises of the Ulize for a couple years now -- I have big (wide) paws, and it fits my hand better than any other knife I've ever owned... I would *LOVE* to see a run with a good tool steel (4v, rex45, k390, cruwear) Perhaps with an option of DLC or Satin, and SE & PE?! It's such a cutting beast as it is, I think an SE blade on it would be ridiculously amazing! :D

Cheers,

John
It's not supposed to be this good... it just isn't!!!

But it is!

The comfort of it is amazing! I just knew it would be too big, when I looked up the specs after ordering. Thankfully I was wrong.

I knew I had larger hands, but I didn't realize how wide my palms were until I got this knife. It fits like a glove and wasn't even close to how oversized I thought it would be.

I honestly don't think SE would be that big of an upgrade. The recurve prevents any thought of an item slipping off the blade.
(Not that I haven't though about SE in the recurve portion)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:26 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:03 pm
JuPaul wrote:
The Meat man wrote:
I mostly use my KME with diamond stones now (50 grit through 1500 stones, plus lapping films), although I do also have diamond rods for my sharpmaker.
Great, with good diamonds you shouldn't have much trouble with either CPM 10V or Maxamet.
- Connor

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Darby throwing out that rare bird the past couple days! Nice to see one dirty and being used...I've never seen one posted with a single smudge before!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Crazy! When they were available nobody wanted them because they were too expensive or too heavy or had too many screws. Now people are paying stupid prices for them.

Spyderco could run it again with a brass bolster and green canvas micarta and they wouldn’t be able to make them fast enough. Honestly, the lock is even better than on a Native5 and the knife is smoother too.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?