What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Post by Wartstein »

Coffeetron wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:52 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:06 pm
Congrats, you managed to receive it today! :D
I am eyeing the black handle version, the french website you mentioned has decent prices.

Native on kitchen duty

Good morning, Austrian fellow-country man! ;)

Well, YES, the Pac Salt arrived yesterday, and so far I do not regret AT ALL having ordered one!!! :)

/ I can see: You´re enjoying your first Spydie and put it to work, just as it should be...
But, man, believe me: You really need a larger blade additionally... And since you said in another thread, you´d be interested in the Salt series... well, I could recommend one to you... :D :D

(Great pic btw)
Last edited by Wartstein on Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:04 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Great choice! I had a black one with me today.
Well, Vivi, thanks for your recommendation and all your quite enthusiastic, but as far as I see now already RIGHTFULLY enthusiastic posts about this knife. I thinks it is really one that I needed and that will replace others in many scenarios (for example my Delica sg comboedge in "quick work hard use tasks" or probably most times my Endura as a larger mountaineering folder. And though I don´t travel nearly as often as many other Austrians to the mediterranian sea, but IF I do so: Of course this will be the blade I´ll take with me then)

I won´t even really start in this thread talking in detail about my first impressions, thoughts, questions and so on, that would be a bit off topic.. and I don´t have the time right now anyway.

Just one quick question:
I seem to remember you saying that all your Pac Salts came with an angle of 15 degrees per side from the factory (that would be 15 degrees on ONE side on the chisel grind SE model).
Now I did just a very quick test with sharpie on the apex and the Sharpmaker in the 30 (15) degree setting: As far as I could see the rods did NOT really hit the apex, but further up the blade (so I did not actually touch up the edge).
It does not really matter to me if the exact angle of my Pac Salt is 15 or 20 per side or something in between, I am just courious...

/ Looks a bit used already.. I like that!! :)

- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:26 pm
Soooo, did you use the tab to open that can or did you get all bad a$$ and open it with that can opener!?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:01 am
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:26 pm
Soooo, did you use the tab to open that can or did you get all bad a$$ and open it with that can opener!?
Haha no, I'm not that cool. Honestly though, I was hoping to find that beer in bottles so I could try it out. I haven't had the chance to use that tool, yet, but the can opener gets the job done and the smaller screw driver also works on phillips screws. :)

...oh! The blade works too ;) very slicey!
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

Picked up some hours at my buddy's business tonight and got paid handsomely for my time. Here's today's carry with tonight's relaxation :cool:

Did more cutting today than I did in the past three weeks!
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Not much climbing lately, so I do a bit of dumbell training..

In the pocket: My latest aquisition.
What can I say about it? Well, Vivi is more than right... :)

bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

The Autonomy.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:38 am
Picked up some hours at my buddy's business tonight and got paid handsomely for my time. Here's today's carry with tonight's relaxation :cool:

OT, but I see you have the leatherman Wave PLUS: It now features replacable wire cutters, right??
When the previous Wave did NOT have those, this was one of the main reasons why I did choose the Rebar over it (there are still some reasons left though)
anycal

Post by anycal »

Peter
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:25 am
Vivi wrote:

OT, but I see you have the leatherman Wave PLUS: It now features replacable wire cutters, right??
When the previous Wave did NOT have those, this was one of the main reasons why I did choose the Rebar over it (there are still some reasons left though)
Yep. My rebar lives in my car now. Love the pocket clip option on the Wave.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Coffeetron

Post by Coffeetron »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:30 am
Coffeetron wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Congrats, you managed to receive it today! :D
I am eyeing the black handle version, the french website you mentioned has decent prices.

Native on kitchen duty

Well, YES, the Pac Salt arrived yesterday, and so far I do not regret AT ALL having ordered one!!! :)

/ I can see: You´re enjoying your first Spydie and put it to work, just as it should be...
But, man, believe me: You really need a larger blade additionally... And since you said in another thread, you´d be interested in the Salt series... well, I could recommend one to you... :D :D

(Great pic btw)
Congrats!

I actually did EDC one single folder (95mm blade length) for almost 2 years with daily use (see photo). I wanted to try out CRUWEAR and have something more compact for travelling by plane (always afraid of airport security theft). The N5 does exactly that :D

Unfortunately I catched Spyderitis and also have a Pac Salt incoming (black handle, SE). :cool:
Will keep the thread updated once it arrives.
That will be my 3rd folder and I think I covered my folder needs with that. There is no point in owning and not having enough time using them IMO.

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Coffeetron wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:08 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:30 am
Coffeetron wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

(Great pic btw)
Congrats!

I actually did EDC one single folder (95mm blade length) for almost 2 years with daily use (see photo). I wanted to try out CRUWEAR and have something more compact for travelling by plane (always afraid of airport security theft). The N5 does exactly that :D

Unfortunately I catched Spyderitis and also have a Pac Salt incoming (black handle, SE). :cool:
Will keep the thread updated once it arrives.
That will be my 3rd folder and I think I covered my folder needs with that. There is no point in owning and not having enough time using them IMO.
Also congrats on your choice, you´ll love the Pac Salt SE I am sure! Ist wirklich ein großartiges Design! ;)

I have mine just since friday as you know, but it has seen a lot of cutting already... ;) Does very good in almost any task, the most amazing performance really was in whittling. Many people seen to think, Spyderco SE knives are no good for that, but I feel exactly the opposite: As llong as you don´t plan to do very fine and detailled stuff but just want to remove material fast or cur off some branch or whatever, the combination of hollow and chisel grind works like a dream...

I´d love to hear your impressions, but maybe better in a dedicated thread! Maybe I´ll start a "Pac Salt first impressions thread" for that, ok? ;)

/ I am afraid you´ll have a hard time to stick with "just" three folders, especially if you stay active on this forum (which I hope!)... :rolleyes:
I was exactly like you, and am still in that I really USE all of my folders (only Spydercos except one BM Minigrip), but my goal these days is not to have more than TEN at any point in time... But I´ve OWNED a lot more over time (I sell some from time to time on "Willhaben" or "Shpock")
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:47 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:25 am
Vivi wrote:

Yep. My rebar lives in my car now. Love the pocket clip option on the Wave.
True. Pocket clip is a huge point for the Wave.
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »

Just in!
vivi

Post by vivi »

T-1000 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:41 pm
Just in!
Jealous! Got some extra play money over the weekend, and debating between this, the Junction, or if I can find them, some more Pacific Salts.

Might have to pick two to make it easier :p