What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JonesE

Re: What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Post by JonesE »

Happy St. Patrick’s Day folks.
przemekspce

Post by przemekspce »

After a hard day's work on a business trip, it was nice to hike by the lake and have a whiskey drink.

:bug-red-white Instagram: przemekspce :bug-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

przemekspce wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:06 pm
After a hard day's work on a business trip, it was nice to hike by the lake and have a whiskey drink.

Looks peaceful out there!
:unicorn
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:30 pm
Uggghhh...all these glowing posts on the Chief, in my favorite steel...is tempting me to spend $170 I didn't plan on spending!! I miss my Military as my one folder that stands out against the rest because of it's size, seems like this could be a great replacement for it.
Go for it! If you don't like it, I know someone that'd give it a shot after you. ;) ;)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:41 am
At first I thought those throwers were stuck in the ground, was going to say...Warty, you need some practice! :p

:p :p Now that you say it: Looks really as if I hit just the ground - but actually it is my grouping in a very mossy tree stump, pic taken from above ;)
Does not mean that I don´t need more practice though! ;)

But the thing with "no spin" throwing is: At first it is harder than the "traditional" rotation / spin knife throwing.
But once you got the hang of it (which can take some time!), "no spin" becomes the way easier throwing method
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Vorpal Blade

Post by Vorpal Blade »

Today I'm carrying a Manix 2 XL in S30V steel. I have always liked pocket knives on the large side.

I'm a big fan of the Spyderco leaf shaped blade which provides a long, edge-to-spine, full flat grind combined with a sharp, penetrating point ! When cutting up corrugated boxes, the Manix 2 XL slices easier than almost any other knife I own.
Vorpal Blade

Post by Vorpal Blade »

Today I'm carrying my Manix 2 xl, in S30V steel. I love Spyderco's leaf shaped blades .... Everything you need and nothing you don't .... Long flat grind from edge to spine gives great slicing ability plus a pointy, penetrating tip with just enough belly to cut on flat surfaces.

For me, the ball bearing lock is Spyderco's best. Since the 1970s, I've experimented with a lot of knives but always come back to Spyderco.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:34 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
At first I thought those throwers were stuck in the ground, was going to say...Warty, you need some practice! :p

:p :p Now that you say it: Looks really as if I hit just the ground - but actually it is my grouping in a very mossy tree stump, pic taken from above ;)

But the thing with "no spin" throwing is: At first it is harder than the "traditional" rotation / spin knife throwing.
But once you got the hang of it (which can take some time!), "no spin" becomes the way easier throwing method
You can throw almost anything once you have it down. I throw Bic ink pens, pencil, punches, chisels, screw drivers, etc, etc. Even folding knives.... Not that I would ever.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VashHash wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:29 pm
Wartstein wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

You can throw almost anything once you have it down. I throw Bic ink pens, pencil, punches, chisels, screw drivers, etc, etc. Even folding knives.... Not that I would ever.
Right, "the art of "no spin" throwing" is a really fun and enjoyable (and totally useless in a practical sense :p ) skill to have!!
Just cause one does not have to measure or at least very acurately estimate the distance to the target like one has to do with "spin / rotation" throwing. One can just pretty casually throw many things to make them stick. All the things YOU mentioned, but great are for example also large, heavy carpenters nails. And if you are weird as me, you can go for a run through the woods and while running throw knives on any dead tree or stump you might come across... (is this weirder though than playing golf for example? ;) )

But OF COURSE I´d NEVER throw folding knives either... well, perhaps I did with Enduras once.. or twice.. or more... ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:40 pm
VashHash wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:29 pm
Wartstein wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Right, "the art of "no spin" throwing" is a really fun and enjoyable (and totally useless in a practical sense :p ) skill to have!!
Just cause one does not have to measure or at least very acurately estimate the distance to the target like one has to do with "spin / rotation" throwing. One can just pretty casually throw many things to make them stick. All the things YOU mentioned, but great are for example also large, heavy carpenters nails. And if you are weird as me, you can go for a run through the woods and while running throw knives on any dead tree or stump you might come across... (is this weirder though than playing golf for example? ;) )

But OF COURSE I´d NEVER throw folding knives either... well, perhaps I did with Enduras once.. or twice.. or more... ;)
I would never run with sharp objects..... Or throw anything at moving targets either... ;) :D

But with no spin it's totally possible.

To keep it on topic. K390 P4 today

SG89

Post by SG89 »

Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:47 pm
Nice :D
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Happy St. Patricks Day!

-Nick :bug-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

:unicorn
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Well, it was the Para 3 LW in REX45, but then this showed up on my doorstep...

I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
przemekspce

Post by przemekspce »

vivi wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:00 pm
Looks peaceful out there!
Just the sounds of birds and water...
:bug-red-white Instagram: przemekspce :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:45 pm
Well, it was the Para 3 LW in REX45, but then this showed up on my doorstep...

NICE! And looks used already (handle) despite it "just showed up"! THAT`S how it should be!! :)
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Talking to a friend last night about M390 and had to get this one out. Figured I'd carry it for a while.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:45 am
NICE! And looks used already (handle) despite it "just showed up"! THAT`S how it should be!! :)
Hah! Just a bit of moisture, the table was wet. We'll put some honest marks on it yet. ;)
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.