Pingo revisited, easy to dis-reassemble???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dbcad

Pingo revisited, easy to dis-reassemble???

Post by dbcad »

The Pingo popped out my drawer again this weekend :) It had seen a bit of use before it was put up. Reprofiling the edge and playing a bit with the knife got us reacquainted :) I took the clip off of mine as the grip for me is quite nice without it :) The edge is now a very nice light duty sharp :D

The blade shape is a sweet modified sheepsfoot with a slow upcurving belly :D The fit on the knife is far above it's pricepoint :) The Pingo is a very nice light duty slipjoint.

My only nitpick is the spongy feel of the spring in the open position. I remember reading that these springs were going to be upgraded. Is this effort currently underway? If so would I be able to buy one of these upgraded spring/backspacers?

Which leads to the question of dis/reassembly. Has anyone taken one of these apart? I'd like to in order to see the blade/spring interface :) Modeling the facsimile Delica has taught me a lot about how these things are put together, and now I have a desire to model this Pingo :eek: :)

The pic is pretty hi-res, quite fun to display actual pixels and pan ;)
Attachments
pingo.jpg
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
endgame

Post by endgame »

Don't own one but that pic makes me want one.they should use it to sellit
Clip

Post by Clip »

I'm wondering if the orange Pingo advertised on KWs site has the stronger spring. Might be worth a phone call.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey Charlie,
Easy as pie to break down and reassemble.
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
Donut

Post by Donut »

I know that the Pink Squeak I have has a stronger spring than the black one, but it isn't the really strong split spring I see in the newer USA FRN UKPK's.

Once they put the split spring on the Squeak, I might have trouble closing it with that small of a blade.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

I'd imagine it's easier than a lockback, as there are less parts.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

When I got my Orange Pingo at BLADE I showed it to Jesper Vox and Jens Anso. Both commented that the spring seemed stronger than the black Pingos. A fellow USN member standing with them pulled out his black Pingo and they proceeded to compare the two. General consensus was that the springs were stronger in the newer orange Pingo.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
VictorLouis

Post by VictorLouis »

I handled the pink squeak last week, and a black one yesterday. The pink one actually gave me some confidence in gifting it to a spouse, for instance, that it wouldn't bite them easily. The black, not so much. In the same case as the black, was an orange Pingo. Definitely a stronger spring, ala the pink Squeak. Plus, I forced the spine down, and your finger is safely protected against the jimped choil/ricasso area. SUPER NEAT KNIFE.
Stretch VG10 FRN, Caly Jr. VG10 FRN.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

sharpguitarist wrote:Hey Charlie,
Easy as pie to break down and reassemble.
Later,
Don
Like you said Don, piece of cake :) In the interest of my personal knowledge the warranty on my Pingo is now void :eek: ;) Despite the lack of parts and the simplicity of the mechanism modeling the knife accurately would be a challange :o Recreating the variable radius at the butt end of the tang is doable, making a solid piece of steel act like a spring will be my challenge :D It's the one issue I avoided on the virtual Delica.

Thanks for the feedback folks :D
Attachments
pingo dis .jpg
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
J D Wijbenga

Post by J D Wijbenga »

I just received a new black Pingo and am pleased with the spring tension. Same happen'd with the Squeak. The springs on the first series were week, later models were imho spot on.