another day hike: cicadas, dragonflies...and an anaconda?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JV3

another day hike: cicadas, dragonflies...and an anaconda?!

Post by JV3 »

i forgot what thread/recommendation i read it from here (i'll dig it up later) but i tried out the gaia gps smartphone app for the first time...my expectations were low but it turned out to be an awesome app! i'm a bit ocd when it comes to logging various data points on my hikes (locations of reliable streams, lots of dead wood, potential overnighter spots, tinder sources, etc.) and this app gives me a more convenient way of recording it...some stats:

distance: 10.93 mi
average speed: 1.4 mph
ascent: 5,013 ft
pace: 42:59 min/mi
moving time: 05:08:03
stopped time: 02:41:43
total time: 07:49:47

anyway, the pics...someday i'll be like mistwalker and know what the heck are all these plants and flowers i'm seeing and what i can use them for. only thing i know for sure is poison ivy, haha.

looks like witches' butter to me...apparently edible but i need a side of bugs to make it appetizing enough to try it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tremella_mesenterica.

it's a trip every time i see these little guys - eastern newt: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_newt.

it's not long until i hear the deafening sound of the cicadas and spot my first one. for those not familiar with them, they live underground and only come out of hiding every 17 years to breed. i'm thankful that's the case because man, after only a few hours they got really annoying! think crickets but 5x louder. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cicada.

first time i've seen one in person...they're huge and pretty docile. i'd poke one and it'd just move a step or two and stop, not too concerned about predators because of their sheer number working on their side.

the one on the left is in the process of molting.

to the right of it is a fully mature one.

i caught one in the act of molting.

JV3

Post by JV3 »

this one was just hanging on by a thread...you can see the mature cicada inside just waiting to come out.

i also stumbled upon this massive dragonfly!

i really do mean massive! they're usually very skittish and hard for me to photograph but this one was too busy munching on an insect, completely oblivious to my presence.

this little guy below could easily be on the menu too.

the only cicada i found with a white coloration - female perhaps?

this is how many they were.

let me change into something more comfortable.

peek-a-boo.

anyway, part of my goal for this trip was try to find a timber rattlesnake to photograph - i was in the woods shortly after sunrise hoping to catch one soaking in the sun.

JV3

Post by JV3 »

i didn't find any so i even shined a flashlight into every nook and cranny later in the day but still didn't find any...i guess my encounter with one last year in the same area was super rare.

i did find a big black racer in this section but man what a quick snake...as soon as we made eye contact it took off like a rocket! so now my adrenaline was going when i round out a boulder.

...and i spot this anaconda!

i almost had a heartattack, haha. that thing was bigger than my thigh and i thought i was dinner for sure. the shape of the wood and the lighting was just right.

spotted another dragonfly with coloration i've never seen before...too skittish i wasn't able to take a better pic.

sunny, slight breeze and in the low 70's in june? i can't complain!

zoomed in, nyc in the distance...you can make out the empire state building and the freedom tower on the right.

brainy rock.

JV3

Post by JV3 »

the red was a welcome break from the all-green monotony once in awhile.

sassafras - one of the many things i learned from mistwalker's threads over the years :)

proof that ancient aliens exist!

mama spider carrying her sack of eggs around?

checking each other out.

after a long hiatus, i have a becker again :)

JV3

Post by JV3 »

i started out with beckers years ago, got rid of them to experiment with other brands/styles...and now i'm back.

chillaxing!

my spoon carving skill is coming along nicely! :D

these guys were watching me the whole time...they'll be on the menu one day - payback for keeping me up way late with their racketing on a previous overnighter :eek:

JV3

Post by JV3 »

bam-chika-wow-wow!

i guess their version of the kamasutra only contain two pages :D

stopped-by the shelter on my way back down.

strange banded pattern on this tree's bark.

no timber rattler pics but old faithful comes through for me - i almost always spot this type of snake here (it's not venomous). to make it clear, it was not in a strike position! i had to chase it down to get this pic. i managed to jump in front of it to make it stop and it recoiled back. snakes just want to be left alone and will give you every opportunity to do so. a lot of snake bites are in the hands and is usually preceded by "whoa, check it out! hold my beer while i...". please don't kill one just because you got scared. okay, rant over.

JV3

Post by JV3 »

how it looks in person.

tinkered with the shutter speed from my usual setting...not sure which i like better.

because of the cicadas even the plants are feeling extra amorous.

a really tiny dragonfly!

was tempted to skinny dip.

but this frog protested...reminded me how his group kept me awake all night with their racket on a previous overnighter and threatened to do it again!

spotted this dragonfly with a really weird wing pattern. the wings looked like flags on poles, bizarrre...amazing it can fly like that!

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Alright the title hooked me, I'm in for the updates.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

That snake is a monster.

Just kidding, looking forward to you adding pictures. They are always very high quality.
JV3

Post by JV3 »

my curiousity to the max, i spent several minutes chasing it down and eventually got this shot...nothing weird about the wing shape after all, just different coloration.

i guess she was impressed with my persistence that she stayed still for a crazy long time for me...i ended up playing with different focus points.

anyway, another day hike down in the books :)
JV3

Post by JV3 »

xceptnl wrote:Alright the title hooked me, I'm in for the updates.
haha, it takes me more time to think of thread titles than the actual picture takings.

jackthedog wrote:That snake is a monster.

Just kidding, looking forward to you adding pictures. They are always very high quality.
thanks! the camera is doing most of the work though, i'm just the monkey pressing the button.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

JV3 nice collections of photos, thanks for sharing your little adventure.

RE: waterfall pic - I like the slow shutter speed version better. What kind of camera were you using? You have some nice shallow depth of field on some of your images too. I like that.

RE: "really tiny dragonfly" - it's actually a full grown "Damselfly" a cousin to the much larger Dragonfly.
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

Wow, Just wow. Terrific Pictures.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Holland

Post by Holland »

Great thread and amazing pictures! thanks for sharing, looks like a fun time
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Amazing pictures once more, jv3. I know that I would enjoy parts of a hike but probably not the whole process. No worries, your beautiful photos let me enjoy my nature-fix vicariously through you. :p

Is it really accurate that cicadas only mate once every 17 years? That sounds like an insane lifetime for an insect. I remember hearing loads of them when I was living in NY.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

I thought cicadas were underground for 7 years :p

Beautiful pics, what camera do you have?
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Yep, 17 years, and this is a peak year for them. I think Locusts have an 11-year but don't hold me to it :P
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

JV3, I look forward to your threads like the above. The subject is interesting, and the photography is excellent. Nice millie as well. Thanks!

We have a larger, uglkier type of Cicada around here that comes out about every year. They have the ability to make an internal rattling sound as a defense. My now deceased Jack Russell Mollie used to do battle with every one she encountered. She would scoop them up in her mouth, they would rattle and she would drop them like fire. Naturally she would get angry at being laughed at for her antics and have to prove that in fact she wasn't really afraid of them. She would then stiffen her resolve to do battle, and with a snort, and a few kicks of her back feet proceed to scoop it up again. Naturally the thing would rattle again and she would drop it all over again. She duled with every one she saw after that. They are around for about two weeks of the year and when they get to making a racket up in the trees by the thousands they were so loud as to make conversation impossible.

This is what the biggest, loudest ones look like. No red eyes on them. We do have others naturally. http://www.davidsonlands.org/wow-cicadas-are-coming/

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
DJFrostbyte

Post by DJFrostbyte »

Beautiful photos JV3! What camera are you shooting with? These have inspired me to break out my canon 5dmk2 and go out shooting again! Well done and thanks for sharing
Endura 4 FFG - Delica 4 FFG - Sage 3 - Dragonfly Salt - Forum Native - Manix 2 LW - Manix 2 G10 - Tenacious - Persistence - Ambitious - Byrd Meadowlark G10 - Cat - C13 Pro Grip - Delica C11PBK - Atlantic Salt - Navigator - Para 2 Camo - Delica C11PBLE - White Endura Sprint - Mule MT05P - Delica 4 FFG - Salsa - Native 5 Ti - UKPK - Sage 1 - Dragonfly G10
endgame

Post by endgame »

Were are from in Jersey? Were supposed to have a record run of them this year.forget sleeping past 8am.those thing are so anoying. cigadas!