Thoughts on the C-44 Dyad?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
greenewk

Thoughts on the C-44 Dyad?

Post by greenewk »

So, the new Dyad sprint run is slated to come out sometime this year. I know this is a very classic model, but, like the knife world in general, it is new to me.

However, I can't quite decide how I feel about it. On the one hand, I appreciate its obvious versatility, its portmanteau of traditional and modern styling, and the sort of oddball nature of it; yet, at the same time, it does look like quite a hefty package with its two long blades and the corresponding length, thickness, and weight. I'm just not sure I can mentally justify the necessity of having both blades available as outweighing the resulting consequences.

What are your thoughts and perspectives on the model? Especially those of you with past experience with the model -- any stories of the usefulness of the model and your personal feelings towards it? I'm interested, but at the projected price point I can't afford to not really use it and really enjoy using it as opposed to my other knives.

- Wil
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

I've never owned one, but I have handled one - I found the handle to be pretty awkward. Because you keep one blade closed when you are using the other, your grip has to sort of wrap around the bump for the spyderhole.

I'd rather just carry a Rescue in one pocket and an Endura in the other.
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

I owned the shorter version of the original and found it to be a very useful knife. Full serrations for the tough & dirty chores. Plain for the more delicate ones. Unfortunately, mine was stolen along with most of my collection a decade ago by a supposed family friend. However, I couldn't prove anything.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I have an original C44 that has been converted for left hand use and, while I rarely need a serrated blade, I carry the Dyad on those few days when I think I might. It's not a light knife, but it's only an ounce heavier than a FRN Stretch, and that's not really all that heavy for one that gives you roughly 3.5" each of plain and serrated blade. However, everyone's comfort point is different and I can't say if the added liners on the new Sprint Run version will increase its weight past mine. The Dyad gives you the versatility of having two different decent size blades in a single, relatively compact, package. As with most things in life, that versatility comes with a price tag. In this case, the price is comfort during prolonged use if you keep the one blade closed, or the possibility of looking like a fantasy knife wielding weirdo if you open both. For me, cutting with a pocket knife almost always involves removing it from my pocket, opening it, cutting once or maybe twice, then closing it and returning it to my pocket, so the comfort factor is a non-issue.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
BAL

Post by BAL »

This is an interesting topic. The Dyad is high my wishlist, but I am also having conflicting thoughts.
If money were no object, then the issue would be mute. However, I don't have a problem with carrying
an extra knife or two, if I feel that I might need it. So the option id to simple have another spyderedged
knife, rather than the Dyad.
I don't regularly carry a fully serrated blade, but I do around the farm where I use it often. In that case,
I like a tougher blade such as the Endura or Spyderhawk. Deacon makes a great point though, normally
a person doesn't have a knife out for prolonged useage, thus alleviating the comfort factor.
The cost of the Dyad is a bit of an issue as well, since you can get two for the price of one, but you can
kill two birds with one as they say. There is something about the look of the knife that I really like though.
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

:eek: Portmanteau hey ? Man you have already over thought this just by the use of that word :) I have a C44 & think it is the best of both SE & PE, better than CE. They are a nice piece, a joy to own & use. I would be getting one of these new ones coming out in a flash, but alas, alak, woe to my sorry hide, I live in a country that is insanely paranoid about us importing innocent bladeware. Don't let that stop you mate, go hard. The Byrd Wings is not in the same league, I tried that. You have a good opportunity to get a great knife. Yes you pay more, but that is the way of buying quality, classy gear.
O.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

I love everything about it except the holes. I know, I know, but this is one design in particular that could benefit immensely from studs, or even nail nicks. As to size and weight, I normally carry folders that big when I'm working in the yard or out and about in the woods, so it's not an issue. Ditto the handle comfort. While I'd prefer a more comfy grip, if I'm going to be using a knife for a long time, I grab a fixie, so the point really is moot. Yes, the price is high, but I've wanted one for years, so there you go ...

Gordon
greenewk

Post by greenewk »

Yes, it's a tough call. It is a very interesting and attractive design, and the gray G-10 does seem to really work for it. This one is a tough call -- glad it won't be out for a while!

Maybe I just need JD Spydo to come in here and sell me on it.
BAL

Post by BAL »

To me gaj999, studs would make it worse on this design, they could be felt
on the closed blade. Of course I hate studs anyway. Once I thoughtthat they
were ok unitl I found the spyderhole, and now I can't carry anything else.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

BAL wrote:To me gaj999, studs would make it worse on this design, they could be felt
on the closed blade. Of course I hate studs anyway. Once I thoughtthat they
were ok unitl I found the spyderhole, and now I can't carry anything else.
So make it a nail nick. And don't tell me you can't open those with one hand if you really have to. If you can't, it means that you haven't spent nearly enough time playing with your knives. ;)

I'm fairly open minded about the matter. I've seen(and own) good designs with studs, nicks, and holes. And I've seen bad designs with all three. It all depends on what you're trying to do. If you're trying to make a two-bladed knife that's friendly to the user's hand in use, let's just say that the hole is not optimal. I know why it's there and why it will always be there, but I don't have to like it. I'm an engineer and always prefer an elegant solution to an artificially constrained one.

Gordon
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

If it doesn't have a hole, it doesn't feel like a Spyderco.

The holes on my mini version were fine. No issues at all.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

BAL

Post by BAL »

I have opened plenty of knives with a stud and plenty with the spyderhole. Any knife
now that I own with a stud is relegated to the bottom of a tool box.
greenewk

Post by greenewk »

I don't have any qualms with the Spyderhole. I haven't had a Dyad in hand yet, but based on the video with Eric it seems comfortable enough with the way they designed it, as well as very smooth to open.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

BAL wrote:I have opened plenty of knives with a stud and plenty with the spyderhole. Any knife
now that I own with a stud is relegated to the bottom of a tool box.
In the mid-1990s, other companies knew how to make knives with thumb-studs that were comfortable. Now all they seem to make are blister-raisers and thumb-rippers. No clue why!

I'll mainly stick with my Spydercos for now too.

BAL

Post by BAL »

Monocrom wrote:In the mid-1990s, other companies knew how to make knives with thumb-studs that were comfortable. Now all they seem to make are blister-raisers and thumb-rippers. No clue why!

I'll mainly stick with my Spydercos for now too.
$$
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

BAL wrote:$$
I have a hard time believing it's THAT much more expensive making a comfortable thumb-stud as opposed to a crappy one.

BAL

Post by BAL »

Monocrom wrote:I have a hard time believing it's THAT much more expensive making a comfortable thumb-stud as opposed to a crappy one.
Actually I will agree with that, but then again I think the same thing with other products.
Why did they put this cheap little cap on top or flimsy handle, why does this weed eater
have such a thin little pullstring, why do these expensive shoes have a poor insert etc etc.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Looking forward to this. My uses for a Dyad fall into the work bag, car, or secondary knife in my winter jacket. None of these uses require heavy use (as I usually have something more suitable for the occassion in my pocket) so the lack of comfort with the dyad doesn't cause any issues.

Havine both blades makes for a great utility knife. Grey G10 and the clip are just icing on the cake.