Scale etched on knife blade

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Clip

Scale etched on knife blade

Post by Clip »

I'd like to see a ruler or scale combined with a knife blade. I think a utilitarian wharncliffe blade (something sizeable like the Yo2) with a standard scale etched or somehow inscribed on one side and metric on the other would be handy to have in the shop. Or it might be useful etched on the spine of blades like the Military and Paramilitary.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Clip wrote:I'd like to see a ruler or scale combined with a knife blade. I think a utilitarian wharncliffe blade (something sizeable like the Yo2) with a standard scale etched or somehow inscribed on one side and metric on the other would be handy to have in the shop. Or it might be useful etched on the spine of blades like the Military and Paramilitary.
Probably better on the spine than the edge, since markings on the edge side would be too far back to be used accurately after one sharpening.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Jeremy_A_Neel

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

I love this idea! The spine is definitely the right place for a ruler. I have another idea to add onto this: This may require a completely new knife model, as I can't think of any that currently would work for this, but if there was a protractor sort of marked around the pivot (the pivot being the vertex), and a part of the blade and handle being the rays of the angle.
"If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person - they will find an easier way to do it." -Hlade's Law
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

I think that's a great idea, some of my old SAK's have a ruler/fish scaler and the they're pretty useful.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Cool idea! A scale just to measure or when doing whatever fieldwork you do having a scale when you take pictures (geology, paleontology, CSI etc).

On the blade, near the spine; centimeters on one side, inches on the other...
Tom
Clip

Post by Clip »

I always find myself in the shop doing odd things like replacing string trimmer/leaf blower gas lines or guessing at sizes of holes/dowels/steel stock. It'd be nice to just flick a Military out and be able to take a quick, better estimate than I could eyeball.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Which side should inches go on and which side centimeters? :rolleyes:
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I like the idea, including the part of using the knife/pivot to determine angles. Of course this is beginning to get into the multi-tool arena and Spyderco already had two and discontinued them. The discontinue was tragic IMO for customers though because the SpydyRench is a GREAT tool. Also, the ByrdRench. Anyway, almost everyone could use a short ruler from time to time. I know I do. There's one on my multi-tool that I carry often and have been surprised how often the short ruler is handy. Determining angles OTOH delves into the workshop or jobsite arena. I like it though. I have one and having it on a knife that I'd have anyway would reduce the number of individual tools. This is invaluable especially when work requires a tool belt.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I like the idea of a ruler or scale on the spine of a Military, however this is why I carry a Leatherman.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
ricechrispy

Post by ricechrispy »

xceptnl wrote:I like the idea of a ruler or scale on the spine of a Military, however this is why I carry a Leatherman.
Military was the first thing that came to mind for me, too. Straight spine and a long blade.
In chronological order:
Paramilitary 2, BD30P Manix 2, Delica 4, M390 Mule, XHP Military, Dragonfly 2, Woodcraft Mule, ZDP-189 Manbug, Cruwear Mule, Superleaf, Forum Native 5, Manix 2 XL, Endura 4
Donut

Post by Donut »

Pockets wrote:Which side should inches go on and which side centimeters? :rolleyes:
Inches would obviously go on the side that's easier to get to. :p
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Just don't forget that it's a ruler with a razor sharp edge on one side!
:bug-red-white
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Pockets wrote:Which side should inches go on and which side centimeters? :rolleyes:
Either way, it could add a whole new meaning to "measure twice, cut once". :p
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!