Schempp Tuff clone is out, not yet marked as SPYDERCO

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.

Schempp Tuff clone is out, not yet marked as SPYDERCO

Post by 224477 »

9cr18mov steel
G10 with liner
titanium framelock

marketed as "steelclaw" already available in a certain russian online shop.

These may later pop up marked as genuine spyderco product, so watch out what you are buying.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
BAL

Post by BAL »

Now THAT makes me mad.
endgame

Post by endgame »

Looks exactly like it man! Atleast it doesn't say spyderco on it
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I haven't even had a chance to acquire the real one yet. Bah.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Pomelly

Post by Pomelly »

It seems to me that these clones are made by the same persons or industry, nobody can't do something? A legal action or something like this? Something to scare them...are becoming always more unrecognizable!!!
Invective

Post by Invective »

endgame wrote:Looks exactly like it man! Atleast it doesn't say spyderco on it
Only difference I can see is the clone doesn't have the forward most dimple on the G-10 part of the choil

Other than that, yeah they got the machining and everything just right. this is scary stuff :/
Polar L

Post by Polar L »

Missing tip down option
Kev83

Post by Kev83 »

Wow.. Eerily close.. TOO CLOSE if you ask me!
TBob

Post by TBob »

Pomelly wrote:It seems to me that these clones are made by the same persons or industry, nobody can't do something? A legal action or something like this? Something to scare them...are becoming always more unrecognizable!!!
Most likely Chinese. They are infamous for copying whatever they think that they can sell. They are beyond the reach of Western law and the local Chinese officials can easily be bought. Just like drugs, as long as there is a market for their junk and they can make easy money, this stuff will continue. The fault is every bit as much with the buyers as the copiers and sellers.

BTW, I doubt very much that the knife has an iotum of Ti in it. It's probably some kind of cheap steel or base metal finished to look like Ti.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
Freman

Post by Freman »

Since I've handled Chinese framelocks advertised as titanium, yes they do make titanium framelocks. Strong, light, non-magnetic. It's either titanium, or really well heat treated aluminium alloy, and it'd probably be cheaper to make them out of titanium.

As of 2011 China was the largest producer of titanium in the world. They don't have easy access to powder steels, so if it's claimed to be (unless it's a $200 folder, in which case they have the profit margin to import it) it's probably 9Cr18MoV, but they do have easy access to titanium. I would have to get the Tuff clone to check, which I don't really want to do, but I wouldn't see any reason for them to report falsely something so easy to check.
dialex

Post by dialex »

Gosh, I'm speechless!!! :mad:
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Of course, they could have taken a picture of the real tough and photo shopped the
Spyderco labels off. Who knows what you would end up getting once it was received.