Double-Edged Knives: Useful for non-combat situations, or, not?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Double-Edged Knives: Useful for non-combat situations, or, not?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I have read about and discussed this with various people over the years. Some survival and outdoors people claim double edged knives and daggers are only useful for combat/fighting purposes, and a true utilitarian knife absolutely must be single-edged, that two parallel edges get in the way of say bushcraft and survival chores. On the other hand, other persons of equal experience stand behind the use of a double edged blade, saying that you have two edges instead of one, and infact a double edged blade can do all the single edged can, and more. And remember: Then there are middle ground versions, such as a single-edged knife with a sharpened false-edge, which some classify as a dagger but I don't think it is technically a dagger.

Anyhow, where do you all stand on this matter? I guess its an old one, like "Stainless vs Carbon" and "Serrated vs Straight Edges"

One double-edged knife I really like is the AG Russell STING bootknife.

Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Twice the edges can give you twice the edge retention. More so in the example of the Warrior being serrated. It makes batoning difficult but not everyone does that in the outdoors.

The problem is a sharpened swedge or full other edge makes it into a dagger and illegal for most places. Arguably the polarizing legality (like switchblades) is far more impactin than the increased effectiveness for martial application.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

It's not exactly scientific, but I have 3. Gerber MK I & MK II both in L6 and a short black chrome plated Loveless. I carried the Loveless offshore for a couple years (mostly because the sheath clipped nicely onto my waistband) and it did fine, but I haven't carried any of them since. Double edged knives are more bother than they are worth, IMO.

Ken
玉鋼
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:I have read about and discussed this with various people over the years. Some survival and outdoors people claim double edged knives and daggers are only useful for combat/fighting purposes, and a true utilitarian knife absolutely must be single-edged, that two parallel edges get in the way of say bushcraft and survival chores. On the other hand, other persons of equal experience stand behind the use of a double edged blade, saying that you have two edges instead of one, and in fact a double edged blade can do all the single edged can
Since you mention bushcraft it's obviously a bad idea to baton with a double edged knife. They are difficult to use in a number of tasks IMO due to not being able to hold onto the blade and push against the spine.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
JRShirley

Post by JRShirley »

I'd like to see all the experts that suggest using a double-edged knife in the woods. Your OP makes it sound like the experts are evenly divided on the topic, which I believe to be nowhere close to true.

John
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

They're good for throwing.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I once thought a double-edged blade might be good as a utility blade, but I got away from that thought because they are illegal in most places.

Since we are in the off-topic forum I can mention another brand. I once wanted a Cold Steel Pentagon as a camping knife because it has the plain edge and the fully-serrated edge. I still think it might be good as a utility knife because you could use the serrated edge for the things it is good for, and the plain edge for finer cutting tasks. If they were legal I might buy one.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

As with just about any blade configuration, there are times when a double edged blade can come in handy and time it will be a disadvantage. I'd never carry one as my only knife, but I can say the same about a hawkbill, a sheepsfoot, and probably several other blade shapes. On the plus side, they allow a totally symmetrical blade which can be esthetically pleasing, give you more sharpened edge, and can provide full length plain and serrated edges without the bulk of a second blade. On the negative, they are illegal in many areas, preclude pressing down on the spine with the palm of your hand or moving your index finger out on the blade for more precise control and, by moving the thickest part of the blade to the center, tend to make them poor slicers compared with a single edged blade of the same dimensions. That said, the hollow ground AG Russell Sting is a beautiful knife and, if nothing else, would make a handsome letter opener.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
girlyMANN

Post by girlyMANN »

"As a rule, double edged knives are thinner, lighter and potentially faster. The thin profile and twin cutting edges allow for effortless penetration. The narrow point will pierce...with the slightest touch.
The edge bevel on a double-edged knife can sometimes be too thick to really bite - wedging into a cut rather than penetrating deeply... The double edged knife has less utilitarian value. It's harder to justify this knife as a tool, ... in the eyes of the law..... It's more dangerous to handle. Twice the edge means twice the danger. Manipulating and using the knife - even sheathing it - must be done with utmost care!" - lynn thompson http://www.coldsteel.com/Riposte-Big.aspx

and that's pretty much it.

except boar hunting knives
with wide double edge
i'ld go with a number #2
http://www.elenhunting.com/Merchant2/gr ... Knives.jpg
if they're legal carry in your area... :-)