Sharpening coworkers knives, seeing more spyderco pocket clips

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dbcad

Sharpening coworkers knives, seeing more spyderco pocket clips

Post by dbcad »

There is a correlation :) out of the half dozen non Spydercos I've sharpened for folks at work I now see some Spyderco taking the place of the knives I sharpened :D Taking time to talk a bit about materials and build with the folks I've sharpened for might have helped ;)

If you aren't comfortable sharpening, taking the time to read, listen, learn, experience and accomplish is well worth the effort :)

Take the time and effort to sharpen a coworkers or friends knife :) I offer any time I experience a dull edge: You'll learn more than you think ;)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
JLS

Post by JLS »

Another approach I have is to give them a loaner knife that allows them to experience Spyderco. If I take a knife from someone to sharpen, I hate to see them without one, so I will lend either a modified Spyderco Ambitious (shortened blade for Chicago) or a Byrd Cara Cara 2. When I tell people they could have the Ambitious under $35 and the Byrd under $25, eyebrows get raised. It's led to a few sales just like that.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Though I can sharpen quite well, I hate doing it, so I never offer anymore. If I knew any knife people I might. Funny thing though - when I do see any pocket clip I get excited and think, "yah, that guy's cool", unless they look like a punk-*** (sorry, but it's true).
- best wishes, Jazz.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I was on a cold call sales call and the customer is using my biggest competitor. Mid conversation I glanced down and see the familiar "doctor scrubs green" FRN peeking out of his pocket. Me, "Nice Spyderco". Him, "How did you know? You into knives?" He pulls out a well used green Endura, I pull out my Caly 3.5 and that my friends is raport.
thog94

Post by thog94 »

I've converted 2 and hopefully a 3rd is on his way. They were impressed how sharp i could get a knife and never knew that a SpyderEdge could be done. I took a bur out of one of the serrations and they were completely impressed. After doing a couple of filet knives it turned into folders. The discussion turned into Spydies and the steel that the use. One of the guys picked up a serrated Salt and the other one picked up a Dragonfly Salt. The 3rd guy says that there are way to many cool looking Spydies and he can't choose. I lent him my Delica which was close to the Gerber that he had, he's liking it and thinking about a combo edge.

Now my sharpener is like a cool new tool that they like to use. Sometimes I think the just go out and cut a bunch of stuff so the can practice on the sharpener. They love cutting paper with a sharp knife and making confetti.

A few guy think I have an addiction since I own so many, but I'm quick to bring up it's just like a fishing addiction. I equate them to Lays potato chips, can't just have 1! So far we have 4 Spydies in the office and I'd like to see that number grow by a few.
Stop feeding the trolls