Damascus Stretch Sprint!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Raylas

Damascus Stretch Sprint!

Post by Raylas »

Anybody else pumped for the upcoming Damascus stretch sprint run? I've been up for it since December, having long since reserved one from knife center. I was wondering if anybody else was as excited for this knife as I am? :D
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I'm not at all a fan of the damascus that Spyderco uses...so not going to be buying it, despite the fact that I really do love the Stretch.
Now the SB one on the other hand...that I am hoping I can find a way to get at some point.
On the hunt for...
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Will it have bolsters?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Lo/Rez

Post by Lo/Rez »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I'm not at all a fan of the damascus that Spyderco uses...so not going to be buying it, despite the fact that I really do love the Stretch.
Now the SB one on the other hand...that I am hoping I can find a way to get at some point.
I'm not familiar with the damascus they use. Please explain what is lacking with this steel.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Lo/Rez wrote:I'm not familiar with the damascus they use. Please explain what is lacking with this steel.
Lackluster pattern.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

I must be out of the loop. A Damascus stretch?!?!?!?!? Now I have an excuse to buy one
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

I was excited to see that there was a Nishijin Stretch, but honestly a bit disappointed that it was going to be Damascus. As Jabba said, Spyderco uses a somewhat uninspiring Damascus pattern, and while I really love my Damascus Caly-3, it was a second and I don't see myself paying the (quite high IMO) street price for another Damascus folder from Spyderco.

Now, if I could get myself a second....
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
GTP2K1

Post by GTP2K1 »

Haven't seen the Stretch version (an I really love the stretch) but I gotta agree these tend to fall soft of what I'd imagine. I'd call Spyderco designs modern and the bolsters bone and damascus tend to come out like super fancy old timer knives (I guess thats what they are goin for) rather than pushing the limits of modern materials to a fancy edge. Just not to my taste I suppose and I realize not everything will be.
Endura I (First Spydie)
Tenacious (Work)
Para2, Strech II (EDCs)
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

I think the Blue Nishijin might be my first Stretch, if I can ever afford it. :D
While I haven't seen one in person, I prefer the random swirls of the Spyderco damascus over patterned damascus. From the pictures it also seems like there's much more contrast between the layers than on my Damascus Gyuto.
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
Buck Knives I Like

Post by Buck Knives I Like »

Raylas wrote:Anybody else pumped for the upcoming Damascus stretch sprint run?
No.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'll definitely get them for my collection, because I have every other version of the Stretch, but I don't really find either Nishijin GF or the Japanese damascus Spyderco uses particularly attractive. Might also get one to experiment with. Find someone to re-etch the blade and, if it looks a good bit better with a much less contrasty etch, replace the GF with some good looking wood.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

What do you guys do with all these scales that are left after you replace them all the time? The idea of giving up any sort of fiber for wood is just crazy talk to me :D
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

CarbonFiberNut wrote:What do you guys do with all these scales that are left after you replace them all the time? The idea of giving up any sort of fiber for wood is just crazy talk to me :D
Can't speak for anyone else, but I normally tell whoever is doing the work for me they can keep the original scales if they like. Some have, some haven't. As for the other, consider it yet another example of either "different strokes for different folks" or "there's no accounting for taste". Heck, I had a neighbor a few years back who though his Aztec was the best looking thing on the road. :eek:
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Raylas

Post by Raylas »

What do you guys do with all these scales that are left after you replace them all the time? The idea of giving up any sort of fiber for wood is just crazy talk to me
So THAT'S where all those aftermarket replacements come from! :D
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

I'm pretty pumped up about it. VG-10 is a great steel and Spyderco's damascus looks good to me. The GF handles are also pretty and I assume these will be thin and rigid like the disco'd CF ZDP Stretch.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

Raylas wrote:So THAT'S where all those aftermarket replacements come from! :D
But then what do the guys who buy the old scales as "aftermarket replacements" do with THEIR old scales???? :confused: :confused: :p

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Raylas

Post by Raylas »

^ Those old scales go to a place of not only of sight and sound but of mind, it is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone... :p

I'm sorry, I just had to.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Raylas wrote:^ Those old scales go to a place of not only of sight and sound but of mind, it is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone... :p

I'm sorry, I just had to.
We've had a few show up where I am from as well.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Deacon wrote:Can't speak for anyone else, but I normally tell whoever is doing the work for me they can keep the original scales if they like. Some have, some haven't. As for the other, consider it yet another example of either "different strokes for different folks" or "there's no accounting for taste". Heck, I had a neighbor a few years back who though his Aztec was the best looking thing on the road. :eek:
It's times like this I wish this forum had the little barfing smiley. That has to be one of the ugliest cars ever built.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

I think we're overdue for a prototype photo. I was surprised not to see it at the Amsterdam meet. Anyone got anything?
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple