Knives for noobs.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Buck Knives I Like

Knives for noobs.

Post by Buck Knives I Like »

Ok so I'm new to the knife scene as some of you know, what spyderco knives out currently would you consider a must have for any new but serious spyderco knife collector. While I understand the goal is to pretty much obtain them all or as many as possible, or at least that is my goal. I'd like to know the knives that take priority in your mind when it comes to collecting not using.
cckw

Post by cckw »

Buy any/all of the sprint models. The worst of them still gain something in value over time. One just came out, the Goddard, I'm sure there are still plenty in stock at low prices.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Buy what speaks to you. What I have learned from my years collection Spydercos and contributing on this forum, buy what you think is beautiful or interesting or brings you joy. That is what will bring you happiness in the end when you look back on your collection. Also I would suggest avoiding the models I like / want / need I don't want you spilling into my territory. ;)
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Buck Knives I Like

xceptnl wrote:Buy what speaks to you. What I have learned from my years collection Spydercos and contributing on this forum, buy what you think is beautiful or interesting or brings you joy. That is what will bring you happiness in the end when you look back on your collection. Also I would suggest avoiding the models I like / want / need I don't want you spilling into my territory. ;)
Name every knife you want so I can put them at the top of the list.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I would suggest getting an Endura/Delica right when you start accumulating. You'll have a good benchmark to compare other spydies to.
Buck Knives I Like

When does anybody think the southard flipper will go out of production and retail stores? I always wanted one just to say I had it, but for that price it's almost close to a small sebenza. :eek:
Kihlo7

Post by Kihlo7 »

**** there are people i know that absolutely cannot believe i have paid 100$ for a pocketknife, even 50 to them seems crazy.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Kihlo7 wrote:**** there are people i know that absolutely cannot believe i have paid 100$ for a pocketknife, even 50 to them seems crazy.
I was one of those people that was blown away when I first started looking at the prices of quality cutlery. Then I wanted a millie and payed the equivalent of $300 for my first one from a local(to me) dealer.
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

IMO without getting into specifics you need to try out one with FRN (preferably linerless, or partial liners), one with g10, and one with stainless steel handles (least important of the three).
Mixed in these you need one with vg10, one with s30v, and one with a more modern "super steel".
Maybe throw full serrations in there on a 3"+ blade (I don't even have this yet)

I prefer the Native FRN over the Delica for the "small yet fully capable" Spyderco. Plus it has better steel. But more people will recommend the Delica. YMMV
On the larger side I am a Military man all the way, it is the quintessential 4 inch working man's knife. An Endura is a phenomenal knife as well, a little less blade and handle, poorer ergonomics for me(but everything has worse ergos than a Millie IMO). Still a huge performer with a cult following.

a fully serrated, H1 Hawkbill is about as "Spyderco" as they come, too.
Alnamvet68

Post by Alnamvet68 »

For knives that are readily available, I would start with the Dragonfly G-10, then jump on a Delica 4 in whatever color and blade configuration floats your inner tube. I believe the Manbug in G-10 will not be manufactured forever, so my guess is one for the collection will be a plus. That's just three, so you can start there pretty quickly.

For the hard to get discontinued models, I would search for a Delica in G-10, then a Wayne Goddard in white micarta would be my next challenge, followed by a Flat Iron, a Rookie...I think we can stop here for now. ;)
GTPowers

Post by GTPowers »

My first was a Manix2. Opened the flood gates of knifedom. The 154CM was good for this newb because it wasn't such a highend steel as to not be forgiving.
-GT
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

I'd say the superleaf is a good one to grab right now - discontinued and going to be gone soon, and it's a big honkin' knife with a compression lock.
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

The Endura 4 was my gateway drug.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

Personally I started collecting Ladybug 3 variations. Now I'm focusing on sprints, exclusives, colaborations and discos.
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

There are some discontinued and discounted models around-and some sprint runs. If any of the specs (length/style/steel/weight) appeals to you take the chance, they won`t be around at this price point forever.

At least this is what I would do if starting to collect knives but I rather admire+use them going for attributes which should aid to bring performance to my needs/preferences.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

I can't help you, I'm not a collector, I'm a user. ;)

Somehow I managed to end up with enough knives to last me until the next millenium. It's easy to do.

Gordon
Ned

Post by Ned »

I just buy anything that appeals to me. I do like hunting for models that are not as readily available like sprint runs, discos. I do have a few safe queens that I pull out and fondle but they don't do any real cutting. I have regular production models that I use and abuse, sharpen.
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Out of the Spyderco's I've bought and used I've decided I like the ones in my signature most. I think the Chaparral and Bradley Folder make a great EDC. Definately get those two as soon as you can and use them. I love the Sage4 but that's just me. I don't think it's one that most people will like as much as the BF. I do think one of the Sage's would be an obvious choice for one to get soon. The Sage1 is truely a wonderful knife but the Chaparral replaced it in my pocket. The Chaparral looks like a Sage1 only a bit smaller. Then the Sage4 can be used as a bit more of a harder use folder than the Sage1. The Sage1 is no slouch though at all. Great knife. The Para2 (at least one) is another obvious choice I guess even though I've never owned one. I held one once and it didn't fit my hand very well. I didn't use it or give it a chance to grow on me since it wasn't mine. Great knife IMO. Maybe my hand is odd shaped. :)
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

You said you were looking for collection purposes only, so I would say look for discontinued, limited runs or both. Anything with carbon fiber, titanium or S90V steel are highly sought after.

You will almost undoubtedly be interested in users at some point, and I recommend these: (pick your size preference)
Endura/Delica (I much prefer the full flat ground blades)
Stretch (I like the CF handles, thinner and stiffer)
Para or full Military
Caly 3/3.5
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

The Delica 4 FFG was my gateway drug, then Dragonfly 2, then it kinda snowballed from there.