What do you do???

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ASmitty

What do you do???

Post by ASmitty »

I've posted these topics in the past and it's been quite some time so I thought I'd ask again. I have an interest in different careers and career fields.

I'll start. I am a C#.NET Application Developer. I currently work in the financial industry for an online bank that has no physical branches. I dabble in some web development, but the bulk of my work involves the development of our back-end systems. We use a service oriented architecture so I develop WCF web services for use by our front-end internet sites and internal intranet tools utilized by our customers and employees respectively. I also work on most of our processing systems that handle processing our daily financial transactions.

I absolutely love being a developer. It truly is my dream job.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
Kev83

Post by Kev83 »

Im in the electrical field. I inspect and repair high voltage underground lines and equipment. Every once in a while I get to dabble in the engineering side of it also. I work in the D.C. And get to work outdoors all year round which is a blessing and also a curse. It's something I enjoy doing and can't complain honestly, and if I did who'd listen right? I'm also a volunteer firefighter and EMT in my community. So basically I'm just the average blue collar dude :) if you actually want to see a little bit of what I do check out this link to a thread I posted. There's several pics there.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... -out-there
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I retired about four years ago. Before that, I was a computer programmer and systems analyst for New York State. Began working in COBOL and CICS against a DB2 database, spent the last ten years working with Oracle Designer and Developer against an Oracle database. Enjoyed the work, hated the politics.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
arnold ziffle

Post by arnold ziffle »

correctional officer at San Quentin for the last 18 years. never laughed so much in a job in my life. as my Brooklyn born connected yard worker tells me every day, " this is a wacky place". it is.
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

Construction and home repair. I have had some customers too. I could right a book about some of the crazies I've done work for.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

Dental assistant here.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Retired CPA. Spent last twenty working years as the CFO for a midwest distributor; was the MIS Director for a road and bridge construction company before that. I've built financial analysis worksheets in Visicalc, Multiplan, Supercalc, Lotus 123, Quattro and Excel; complete Sales Analysis systems in Condor, RBase and Paradox - all ancient history now except for Excel.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm a professional nude rodeo clown.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Network Administrator for the Cleveland Browns. MCSE, MCP+I, Linux+

Been doing IT stuff for 15 years now.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Civil engineer->off shore surveyor->computer support->network design->server technical presales->retired ;)

Ain't it great, Paul?

Ken
玉鋼
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

David Lowry wrote:Network Administrator for the Cleveland Browns. MCSE, MCP+I, Linux+

Been doing IT stuff for 15 years now.
Did we meet at work? I had a server meeting with the Browns 6-7 years ago. Can't recall if I was with IBM or Foresight at the time.

Ken
玉鋼
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Evil D wrote:I'm a professional nude rodeo clown.
Gotta watch out for those horns, bro!

TedP
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I'm a systems engineer for a large systems integrator firm. Been with the same firm for 27 years. I mostly design comms systems, but also some remote video and telemetry systems.

TedP
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

phillipsted wrote:Gotta watch out for those horns, bro!

TedP
Those bulls better watch out for MY horn lol.

Wait...that didn't sound right at all.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I wear many hats. Short answer is Sales Manager and Chief Designer for a small design/manufacture/build firm. We hold a dozen or so patents for proprietary structural steel beams using cold-formed steels. Most of our business is residential design with specialization in suspended concrete deck and garage floors. I have been with the company for almost a decade and have moved up from the lowest designer to the "go-to guy". I wish I had gone thru with my degrees further and pursued my license.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

arnold ziffle wrote:correctional officer at San Quentin for the last 18 years. never laughed so much in a job in my life. as my Brooklyn born connected yard worker tells me every day, " this is a wacky place". it is.
Has it been completely modernised or is the place where the man in black performed still there ?
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Event Rental Business, larger tents, tables, chairs, flooring, china glassware keeps us busy that's for sure. I am a Gemologist so Prior to this business I was a director of operations for a jewellery company traveled the world buying diamonds, coloured stones etc.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Evil D wrote:Those bulls better watch out for MY horn lol.

Wait...that didn't sound right at all.
Lol! :D I'd hate to see your personal injury insurance premiums. :eek:
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

xceptnl wrote:I wish I had gone thru with my degrees further and pursued my license.
Same boat here. I'm perform the function of a project architect, but since I never got the full degree I never got licensed. As a result I can't call myself an architect so they put project manager on my business cards. Been at it a little over 20 years now.
Invective

Post by Invective »

Gonna be showing my age here, but whatever we're all friends here. I'm a student, graduating college this year and still looking for a job once I'm out. I work as a contractor at an LLC but nothing I'd make a career out of. Had to sign an NDA when I joined though so I can't say anything too specific, but pretty much what I do is search eBay, amazon and some other online shops for knockoffs and counterfeits of the company that hired the LLC I work for.