Smal edc

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
dino

Smal edc

Post by dino »

Hi,

I recently bought a tenacious (and a honeybee for fun). When i received the blade i was incredibly impressed by all the aspects quality, price and sharpness. The reason i chose it is because i need a large blade for cooking. And it is perfect for the job. Full flat grind and 8 cm and sharp. Perfect. BUT i live in a country where blades are looked at as weapons (not by law they are perfectly legal). So Im actually using the honeybee more during the week at the office as its not as threatening. In the weekend and at home its 100% tenacious.

As im going to buy the sharpener ( I can only get a blade sharp but not razor sharp) im soooooooooo tempted to buy another spyderco. Just love the quality, detail etc.

But i dont know what to buy. A byrd Robin 2 (dragonfly)seems perfect as its small and innocent, but the cutting edge is 5cm so not really handy for chopping veg. Like i said i cook allot and hate dull knives. The meadowlark seems better but it is 10cm long just 1cm short of the tenacious so im afraid it will be to big again.

The other problem i have is the choice ss or g10. I really like the g10 on the tenacious but im a sucker for brushed steel. Is the SS handy? I find it difficult to find a good review on SS. What is the difference in use?

So in the end I have 3 questions

can someone post a tenacious, a delica/meadowlark and a dragonfly/robin for a good size comparison?

What is the diff between g10 and ss in use

And do i buy a robin2 and(or) the meadowlark2 or go for the spyderco cousins? the dragon fly or delica. Why?

thank you!

Dino
dino

Post by dino »

[ATTACH]21805[/ATTACH]

ok one question answered

The main one i have left is what is the practical difference between g10 and SS
Attachments
Tenacious_Delica_Dragonfly.jpg
araneae

Post by araneae »

G-10 is grippy, doesn't get cold easily, doesn't really scratch. For those reasons, I prefer G-10.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

araneae wrote:G-10 is grippy, doesn't get cold easily, doesn't really scratch. For those reasons, I prefer G-10.
What he said. I have used my SS Stretch with the Kraton inserts for improvised kitchen duties and still found it slippery. I would suggest the Stretch as an alternative as well. Bigger than the delica with the 50/50 choil like the Dragonfly. If that is a bit larger than what you were looking for, maybe consider the Pingo with it's nice belly and recesed grip.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
dino

Post by dino »

wow thank you for the pingo its a brilliant tip. It wasn't available in the online shop I used but i have found it on amazon. It has an ideal form for what i need t to do. thank you!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

dino wrote:wow thank you for the pingo its a brilliant tip. It wasn't available in the online shop I used but i have found it on amazon. It has an ideal form for what i need t to do. thank you!
I think the FRN is fairly textured, but Cuscadi can really turn it up with some aftermarket G-10

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
dino

Post by dino »

Nice, just looked at the site and the handles are awesome. I finaly got the robin, the pingo isn't available in my shop so i have to look online for a good selling place.

The robin is actually the right size. So as the pingo is the same size its definitely on my wish list.

I also got the sharp maker but I think ill need some praktice to get them razor sharp.
BAL

Post by BAL »

dino wrote:Nice, just looked at the site and the handles are awesome. I finaly got the robin, the pingo isn't available in my shop so i have to look online for a good selling place.

The robin is actually the right size. So as the pingo is the same size its definitely on my wish list.

I also got the sharp maker but I think ill need some praktice to get them razor sharp.
Welcome Dino. It takes a bit of practice and repeat use to get the muscle memory on the Sharpmaker.
At first, I had problems and with time it became easier. You can watch Sal on the DVD and just do
the same thing. Congrats.