Evil D's Evil EDC Diary

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Evil D's Evil EDC Diary

Post by Evil D »

That's right. It's EDC testing time. What's that mean? It means I'm going to carry one knife "from sharp to dull" and keep a picture record of everything I cut throughout the life of the edge. I'll use the current knife for EVERYTHING I can cut, including any food prep in the kitchen, unless of course I need to cut a watermelon in half ;)

Why? Because I have nothing better to do with myself lol. I plan to do a series of these "tests" for nothing more than entertainment value, while at the same time maybe giving some real world evaluation to different knives and steels. Obviously, some steels and edges are going to last longer than others, so some EDC periods may be shorter than others.

Also, I'm not always able to pull out my phone and take a pic of what I cut, so I'll simply try to keep record of what and how much I cut when I can't take a pic. Also, keep in mind that I'll be using a cell phone, so the pics may not be calander quality ;) I also plan to detail how each knife is sharpened before the period begins, and I'll be testing the life of the edge at the end of each day by slicing various materials to test resistance (such as can it still push cut phone book paper, etc). Depending on how this thread is received, I may even revisit different knives with different edge finishes and give them another round of EDC'ing to see how the results differ.

Lastly, I'll provide some kind of review of the overall knife and how it performs during the testing period. So...here we go!

CTS-20CP Para 2:

The knife I'm starting out with is my CTS-20CP Para 2. This knife is simply superb. It is in a constant battle with my M4 Manix 2 and Yojimbo 2 for pocket time, but lately it has won the battle so it gets the first EDC period. It has a 20 degrees inclusive bevel with a so-so polish job, which then has what I like to call an "Edge Pro convex" at the edge. What this means is, When I put on my initial micro bevel, I then go back over it at a slightly higher degree and make a couple passes, then raise the degree again and make a couple passes, so on and so on until I get the final degree where I want it. This edge in particular Is 36 degrees at the apex. This convexing was done with a 16k grit Shapton glass stone. It can be seen clearly in pics because it's much more polished than the rest of the bevel.

What's the point of all that? Well, I've found that when you take a bevel down to 10 degrees per side, giving it a ~30 degree micro bevel is such an extreme increase in angle difference that it instantly burrs the edge no matter what I do, so the "convexing" of the edge is a way to sort of sneak up on the final edge angle, and the resulting edge seems to be much more chip resistant and durable, while at the same time staying really thin and slicing aggressively.

Mods:

This knife only has one simple mod done to it. The infamous "Paramilitary pinky bump" has been smoothed out as low as it can go before hitting the liners (in fact I went too far and you can actually see the liner through the G10 because it's so thin). Other than that this baby is all stock...it's hard to improve perfection :D

The EDC Period:

03-28-13

Started today by cutting up some cardboard at work. Wasn't able to get a pic, but I made about a dozen or so ~2 feet cuts through average size corrugated. This really didn't have any effect on the edge at all, it still easily popped hair off my arm.

Lunch time, trying to have an apple with some peanut butter, but I can't reach my plastic spoon into the container, soooo...

Then cut up my apple...

Again, very little perceivable difference in sharpness. Still shaves easily, still slices phone book paper quite easily but will only push cut once the cut has been started, or in other words if I stab a page and pull straight down it will push clean through.

Today also happens to be my girlfriend's birthday, so I had a few leftover gifts to get wrapped. This is also a great test of sharpness since gift wrap paper is pretty thin stuff and rips easy. It sailed clean through every cut.

(the blade isn't that badly scratched, a lot of that is just smudges on the blade)

So far so good, pretty light day of use. Some days at work I do a LOT of cardboard cutting, other days I never even pull my knife out. I also carry a standard razor blade style box knife for opening boxes because I don't like pulling the knife out around strangers, so a lot of my random use goes to that little knife, but it's mostly just cutting tape which has little effect on an edge anyway.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Cool stuff, D. I'll keep checking on your thread.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Holland

Post by Holland »

creative thread evil, looking forward to more journal entries :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

You beat me to it Evil :) I was also thinking of doing a thread like this.

Nothing more entertaining than reading about how a good knife is used. Look forward to your updates.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

Evil D wrote:I'll use the current knife for EVERYTHING I can cut, including any food prep in the kitchen, unless of course I need to cut a watermelon in half ;)
If you EDC a Rock Salt/Schempp Rock, you can do that too!
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Thanks for sharing this! I'm wondering when the Valotton gets its turn. :)
BAL

Post by BAL »

I can't wait for the sequel.
Attachments
images.jpg
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Interesting idea of the thread. I like it.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Great thread idea Evil :) . Looking forward to it.

@BAL: lol!
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Looking forward to future posts :) A sharp edge is a beautiful thing, especially when you make it yourself :D
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Kev83

Post by Kev83 »

Nice! I love to see real world applications!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well, today was one of those days where I spent most of my day in the office and/or supervising, so I only got to use my knife to cut up my apple again for lunch. :(
~David
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Evil D wrote:Well, today was one of those days where I spent most of my day in the office and/or supervising, so I only got to use my knife to cut up my apple again for lunch. :(
Great thread David. :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Great thread David. :D
I know it's riveting ain't it? LOL
~David
Holland

Post by Holland »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Great thread David. :D
hahaha
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Cool idea.

I'm curious. Does girlfriend know you do things like this and if so, does pretend not to know you when you are in public? :) Sorry, just kidding.

Jack
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Evil D wrote:I know it's riveting ain't it? LOL
Seriously, I'm looking forward to more results on your 20CP para. I love that steel and that knife.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Seriously, I'm looking forward to more results on your 20CP para. I love that steel and that knife.
When it comes down to it this steel will hold a working edge just about forever. I've found the only reason I sharpen it is because I enjoy the high end sharpness of a fresh edge.
~David
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Evil D wrote:When it comes down to it this steel will hold a working edge just about forever. I've found the only reason I sharpen it is because I enjoy the high end sharpness of a fresh edge.
I'm with you there. :D
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Evil D wrote:Well, today was one of those days where I spent most of my day in the office and/or supervising, so I only got to use my knife to cut up my apple again for lunch. :(
Just curious. Do you have anything else for lunch Evil? Aside from an apple I mean.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.