A traditional Japanese ethnic ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bladekeeper

A traditional Japanese ethnic ?

Post by Bladekeeper »

Been finding myself drawn to Tanto,s and kwaiken recently and would love the ethnic series to make a traditional model of either.
We have the lum but that IMO is a western take and a western mold , anybody like to see a cord wrapped spyderco Tanto/kwaiken.
Rider675

Post by Rider675 »

I had a similar thought recently after seeing CRKT's new line. I would love to see something lighter weight with better ergonomics and steel. They do have an attractive blade shape, or a reverse tanto like the bm940 would do as well.
Boberama

Post by Boberama »

One thing I don't like about a lot of those cord-wrapped tantos is the lack of any form of guard...
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

The wrap on the Kumo was very good for grip retention. I thought it needed a guard too, but in my utility cutting chores (including kitchen duty) and limited testing (piercing stacks of thick cardboard) the cord wrap proved to be effective.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mr Blonde wrote:The wrap on the Kumo was very good for grip retention. I thought it needed a guard too, but in my utility cutting chores (including kitchen duty) and limited testing (piercing stacks of thick cardboard) the cord wrap proved to be effective.
I think I would have liked the KUMO with a Micarta handle similar to the one on the Street Beat model. And yes I do also think that guards would have improved the KUMO from several standpoints. But no I didn't like the corded handle of the KUMO at all which is why I traded mine away.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Rider675 wrote:I had a similar thought recently after seeing CRKT's new line. I would love to see something lighter weight with better ergonomics and steel. They do have an attractive blade shape, or a reverse tanto like the bm940 would do as well.
Yeah I looked at the Crkt models the hissatu etc although I know from owning some Crkt that I wouldn't want to pay a higher end price for their goods.
If anybody wants an example not that you'd need convincing look at what spyderco achieve with 8crMOV and compare it to Crkt.
The latter doesn't stack up at all I know Paul Chen hanwei over sees designs that are put out to Crkt but the end product from his end to theirs doesn't meet anywhere near the middle.

I know James .... I forget does the Crkt but its overseen by Paul Chen I think , a spyderco kwaiken mmmm yes please.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

I'm currently working on a design to submit to Spyderco in this category. Im in love with this segment of knives, but I feel that Spyderco hasn't explored it enough.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Dodge wrote:I'm currently working on a design to submit to Spyderco in this category. Im in love with this segment of knives, but I feel that Spyderco hasn't explored it enough.
Be interesting to see any chance of a clue ? By pm maybe a kwaiken , a tanto or something else .
I couldn't hold back the urge, I just commissioned a custom kwaiken today .
Ray skin cord wrap , should be a few months at least but I had to :D .
Keep trying if it doesn't work don't give up , although there are a lot of collaborations coming through right now .
A serrata from stu Ackerman , a P.I.T.S so keep the faith.
Any links to previous designs ?.
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

I think a Japanese Ethnic Spyderco folder would be just what the doctor ordered. Maybe something like a Higonokami? That would be very sweet!
To the OP, i like the Japanese tanto/kwaiken style as well. I'm not a fan of the Western/American Tanto though.

JD
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

hmm......how about forgetting traditional tsuka and focusing on a more traditional Japanse blade: I mean fusing the best of two worlds. Experienced japanse forgery-craftmanship in a modern package. Check for example those ZDP Rockstead knives with those mirror-polished tanto-kissaki! Modern grip with a Japanese styled and quality blade. I really had it with those 'japanese-looking' copies made in a steel that not suit the appeal of the knife or sword....Feel me? Osu!
Tom
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

toomzz wrote:hmm......how about forgetting traditional tsuka and focusing on a more traditional Japanse blade: I mean fusing the best of two worlds. Experienced japanse forgery-craftmanship in a modern package. Check for example those ZDP Rockstead knives with those mirror-polished tanto-kissaki! Modern grip with a Japanese styled and quality blade. I really had it with those 'japanese-looking' copies made in a steel that not suit the appeal of the knife or sword....Feel me? Osu!
Not quite sure what you mean ...you'd prefer a traditional steel or a modern one ?.
I thought the same although my lack of knowledge prevents me knowing what is possible.
Eg some ss steels can they produce the hamons with the martensite spine and softer edge ?.
Forgive any incorrect terms , I'd like kwaiken in RWL .
Owning a RWL-34 blade I know the slicing power of this steel is second to none.
Wether modern steels could be forged to give the traditional blade look idk.
The handles in the sense of ray skin & cord give the kwaiken/tanto and katana their identity IMO.
Give them a modern handle without the same look and they lose their identity , I am not sure what you meant though so correct anything I've misinterpreted .
coffeeman

Post by coffeeman »

I too have been drawn to the Japanese style knives of late. I have a full drawer in my Gershner-like cabinet. Most are Customs and have not really broken the bank. I have Kwaiken by Folts, a Kwaiken by Burnley along with his folder, a couple by Serge. Plus 3 or 4 more customs. I had a couple of lapse of judgment and sold my original Lum fixed blade, never had the Kumo. CRKT is developing quite a few models and I am waiting for Spyderco to release one that will surpass other production models. With the Blade Show in 64 days, I have time to develop some conversation with Sal, Ed and Michael and see what might be. Just look at the MBC knives M. Janich has developed, looks like a Kiridashi cutting edge to me. If enough Forumites bring up the idea, it could happen quicker than we might think. Maybe if I keep my Spyderco EDC with a Kwaiken, the energy will make a shift in the universe and they bring out a surprise for us all. Hey, I can hope! :cool:
Special thanks to Bill W. for all of his inspiration and guidance.

Do you know Bill ?

One :spyder: for all and all :spyder: forum one!
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

A kiridashi wouldn't be my choice as IMO a kiri is a small cutting tool as you know rather than a blade/knife.
A kwaiken would be of realistic size rather than the likes of the hissatu that C,R,K,T have done.
Of course IMO a spyderco would surpass this in any guise.
For me as kumo - spider translated has been done the u - ebu meaning web would be a great name.
Incorporating maybe the diamond wrap hilt maybe cut from G10 as cord probably would be problematic on production scale.
Keep your kwaiken and hope the energy works :D .
Any chance you could pm me a link to your customs I'd be very interested.
Regards B.k