Photos: Long Term Impressions of the Military in CPM S30V.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ankerson

Photos: Long Term Impressions of the Military in CPM S30V.

Post by Ankerson »

This is my work EDC and has been for the most part everyday except for the times I was testing other knives or carrying other knives. I have carried and used this knife more than all others combined.

You can see the wear and user marks in the G10 and the pocket clip above.

As you can see the blade is still centered just like it was when I 1st got it..

Wear marks on the blade and HRC testing marks, tested to 60 HRC.

Other side of the blade...

And finally the lockup, it's still excellent with zero blade blade play.

This knife has been used and dropped a number of times over the years, I never babied it at all, I just used it at work to cut various things that needed cutting. Mostly cardboard, plastic shrink wrap, plastic ties, zip ties and assorted other things like plastic coverings. It's held an edge respectively well as S30V should and all that is generally needed is to touch it up on a strop once a week or so. If you notice the blade isn't worn out because I haven't had to take the stones to it more than a few times to refresh the edge.

There haven't been any issues with chipping out with S30V on this knife. So maintaining with a stop has been the norm as was said above.

Overall impressions have been excellent as the Military has a 4" blade with a lot of belly, distal taper and flat ground blade so it cuts very well for what I use it for. One can get a lot of leverage on that blade due to the long handle for harder cutting tasks. It's comfortable to use also and it carries very flat in the pocket so I don't notice it's there until I need it.

This is MY Military, there are many like it, but this one is mine and if someone sees me at work this knife will be the one that is in my pocket.
Donut

Post by Donut »

That's a nice looking knife, Jim. Thanks for the review.

It's not every day you see a long term review.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Holland

Post by Holland »

Thanks for the review! love seeing a well loved spydie
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Thanks guys. :)

Figured it was time to do it as it's been my work knife for a long time now and it's the 1st knife I grab before heading out the door.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Very nice. Thanks for sharing. How's the detent holding up?
- best wishes, Jazz.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Ankerson wrote:Thanks guys. :)

Figured it was time to do it as it's been my work knife for a long time now and it's the 1st knife I grab before heading out the door.
It's kind of crazy that this particular knife is your go-to work knife. Your extensive steel review thread on BF shows the incredible range of knives you have available to you as well as steel types.

Do you think there is sentimental attachment or familiarity that brings this knife ahead of your other Millies?
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

A millie was my first Spydie. It still is my favorite knife today. You almost can appreciate a millie unless you cut a lot of material with it. That's when it shines.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

D1omedes wrote:It's kind of crazy that this particular knife is your go-to work knife. Your extensive steel review thread on BF shows the incredible range of knives you have available to you as well as steel types.

Do you think there is sentimental attachment or familiarity that brings this knife ahead of your other Millies?

I like the Military a lot, and I like the way S30V just works for me at work. :)
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

Great review. My go-to knife is my CF M390 Millie. It feels great in the hand and it just plain works great.
Wanted: Superhawk - Found!
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Is there going to be a Millie M390 sprint run this year?
Kev83

Post by Kev83 »

Great straightforward long term review! Gotta love a Millie!
Donut

Post by Donut »

Philo Beddoe wrote:Is there going to be a Millie M390 sprint run this year?
I haven't heard anything, but there was a dealer exclusive of that last year.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Jim,

Any particular reason to test HRC at that spot? I personally can't bring myself to look at it day in day out, but that's just me. ;)
Roundabout136

Post by Roundabout136 »

I considered doing a rockwell hardness test to my PM2, I had access to one in the materials engineering lab at school. Should have done it.

Very cool pics, considering getting a military soon.
DLC PM2, FFG Delica, Wave, ESEE 4, Izula
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

anagarika wrote:Jim,

Any particular reason to test HRC at that spot? I personally can't bring myself to look at it day in day out, but that's just me. ;)

Don't notice them being there after awhile.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Donut wrote:I haven't heard anything, but there was a dealer exclusive of that last year.
Yeah, I've seen those sell for big money..more than I want to spend. I think a Millie sprint run in Cruwear is coming out sometime this year..I don't know diddly abour Cruwear but I might have to pick up one..at the end of the day though S30V is a fine steel..I've seen cutting test where S30V came very close to kicking S90V to the curb.

Anybody know anything about Cruwear?
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Donut wrote:I haven't heard anything, but there was a dealer exclusive of that last year.
Yeah, I've seen those sell for big money..more than I want to spend. I think a Millie sprint run in Cruwear is coming out sometime this year..I don't know diddly abour Cruwear but I might have to pick up one..at the end of the day though S30V is a fine steel..I've seen cutting test where S30V came very close to kicking S90V to the curb.

Anybody know anything about Cruwear?
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

wquiles wrote:Great review. My go-to knife is my CF M390 Millie. It feels great in the hand and it just plain works great.
Yes. At the end of the day a knife is more than just the steel and more than just the complete blade. The Military brings a whole lot of different excellences together.
JV3

Post by JV3 »

thanks for the long term use update!
chuck_roxas45 wrote:A millie was my first Spydie. It still is my favorite knife today. You almost can appreciate a millie unless you cut a lot of material with it. That's when it shines.
same here, my first spyderco is the orange military...i sometimes feel/looks too big but when i use it it just somehow shrinks and it's just the perfect size for me.
Humint

Post by Humint »

The Military, in my book, is absolutely the most perfect folding knife ever made. This is coming from someone who has owned over 50+ folding knives, including Sebenzas, Striders, and customs.