First Video Review, please criticize. Warning: It's not a Spyderco.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
kennethsime

First Video Review, please criticize. Warning: It's not a Spyderco.

Post by kennethsime »

Hi all,

As some of you know I work in a small cutlery shop and we received some drop-shipped first production Benchmade knives this morning. Well, I couldn't find anything but the original shot show video on this model, so I couldn't resist attempting to be the first one to review it (aside from "that guy" at SHOT).

So tell me what you think! It's obviously quite rough, done in one shot (I don't know much about video editing, don't have any equiptment) but I tried to avoid talking about things I don't know enough about, hit the basics, and include some highlights.

Note: This is not a Spyderco knife (it is in fact one from "the other brand,") but I felt more comfortable with this audience than the BF audience. Also, I don't think I would do the Spydies justice. I hope this ok. It is an unlisted video, but feel free to share it.

The video can be found here.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

Could use a better camera but very well spoken! Good stuff.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Agree with c.joe on both points, your words, details, comparisons and overall
review are great. The only negative is the camera and that can be easily fixed,
well with a stack of coins that is.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Nice knife and nice delivery but IMHO, we really should make a distinction between just reading off the specs and flipping the knife a few time against a review which again IMHO, should be an assessment of how the knife performs in cutting and how well it carries over a certain period. I'd say the usefulness of the video is increased several times over just a impression recorded after taking the knife out of the box.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Nice knife and nice delivery but IMHO, we really should make a distinction between just reading off the specs and flipping the knife a few time against a review which again IMHO, should be an assessment of how the knife performs in cutting and how well it carries over a certain period. I'd say the usefulness of the video is increased several times over just a impression recorded after taking the knife out of the box.
Definitely true. What would you call something along these lines? An unboxing, or maybe a first look?

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

kennethsime wrote:Definitely true. What would you call something along these lines? An unboxing, or maybe a first look?
First impressions maybe?
Chipped Karambit

Post by Chipped Karambit »

Nice video, it is probably best to turn the camera facing a desk or something and only have the focus on the knife. That way you can lay down the knives and compare them in a nonfloating set. That way you can also leave the knife you are comparing it to in the back ground so they can see the whole knife.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Chipped Karambit wrote:Nice video, it is probably best to turn the camera facing a desk or something and only have the focus on the knife. That way you can lay down the knives and compare them in a nonfloating set. That way you can also leave the knife you are comparing it to in the back ground so they can see the whole knife.
It's funny you mention that, this was my first idea. Had a BM placemat on a raised platform angled properly & lined up with the camera. The problem with this setup was that my webcam is actually built in to the screen of my laptop, and S30V is significantly harder than the aluminum laptop case (and therefore takes big chunks out of it when opened up too close. :o After this happened once I decided it wasn't worth it, and just went ahead without the setup, lol.

c.joe

Post by c.joe »

I always like an over the shoulder, almost POV, angle.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Here's and example of what I consider to be a good review. Put it in video and you're gold.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... Heavy)#top
BAL

Post by BAL »

Hey Kennthsime, I think that it's great that you put yourself out there for review and
scruntiny. That's not always easy. Take any criticism in stride and use it however you
feel. Everyone has different opinions on what is a good product review and what is not.

You have to do what YOU are comfortable with, stand by it and be proud of it. You will
improve with time, but you are willing to read and hear what others think. Good job.