How tough is the Carbon fiber?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ghost

How tough is the Carbon fiber?

Post by Ghost »

Greetings. I tend to use my knives to remove bottle caps. I know that FRN and G10 gets a bit scuffed from this. What about carbon fiber? Or the Titanium for that matter? Will bottle caps leave little marks in a CF handled or Ti-handled knife? :)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It should be about as tough but is still "misuse" and could result in snapping a chunk of CF off or deep scratches. Ti would be stronger but still scratch up.

Ever consider a small multitool? A Gerber Shard on the keychain would cost like $3 and works great.
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Yeps CF will chip and Ti will scratch. I would also advise to get a small keychain bottle opener/tool. Or use a Swiss Army Knife as backup, even smallest have caplifters :)
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I would agree with Blerv and IG - you can certainly make a knife with CF scales work for removing bottlecaps, but you are wasting a good tool on a task for which it was not intended.
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

It's just that the knife is always at my pocket, and thus more accessable than having to get the proper tool out on an SAK. Though I guess I'll get an ordinary bottle opener then :)
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Ghost wrote:It's just that the knife is always at my pocket, and thus more accessable than having to get the proper tool out on an SAK. Though I guess I'll get an ordinary bottle opener then :)
Your teeth are always in your mouth. Some folks use theirs to remove bottle caps. Why don't you do that? No need to fish a knife out of your pocket. ;)

Gordon
Koen Z

Post by Koen Z »

Use the spine of the closed knife; easy and no scratching on the knife.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

If your knife has full liners, I don't see why you couldn't use the edge as a bottle opener if you don't want to scratch the spine (spine method is probably best).
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Another option is to only consume beverages that have twist-type caps...
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Why not just stab the blade through the cap then pry it off? :rolleyes:
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Use a steel handled knife.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

JNewell wrote:Why not just stab the blade through the cap then pry it off? :rolleyes:
That works too. Or use blade to saw through the upper part of the bottle neck, just below the cap.
IceCold

Post by IceCold »

Carbon fiber ANYTHING is Bad

Why? because of the years the resin used to fuse the carbon fiber sheets dries out. That make carbon fiber prone to breaking cracking and weakening.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

IceCold, do you have data on this or a source backed by data? I understand there are different methods of making carbon fiber materials and that the method of manufacture can make a big difference.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Get a waved endura or delica...those waves work fine for bottle opening...
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

IceCold wrote:Carbon fiber ANYTHING is Bad

Why? because of the years the resin used to fuse the carbon fiber sheets dries out. That make carbon fiber prone to breaking cracking and weakening.
Eh? I haven't seen this in anything carbon that I have ever owned. On my bike, I have or currently have carbon handlebars, carbon crankarms, carbon wheels/spokes, and carbon forks. Carbon fiber is used to make racing car bodies, shoe soles for cycling, racing wheels...well, the list is too long to note here. Not all of these items are meant to last forever, but I don't know what you mean when you speak of rate of supposed decay and weakening with regard to resin. And if the resin does dry out, as you say, wouldn't simply keeping it moist ensure that it lasts forever?

When you say "...of the years..." (assuming you mean "over the years), how many years are you talking about? I've got CF handlebars on both of my bikes that are still going strong after 13 years with no signs of any trouble. Are you coming with personal experience, hard data or referring to hearsay?

I've seen firsthand CF failures (again on bike stuff) and every instance that I saw resulted from direct trauma (i.e. a crash or accident) or improper installation, not to rule out possible manufacturing defect. I haven't yet seen cases of resin dehydration causing failure. If you know of any, can you share these? Thanks -
Chipped Karambit

Post by Chipped Karambit »

Do what I do, Hold the blade in a closed position, place the edge of the cap in the spyderhole, rip open. No problem at all
Tally-ho

Post by Tally-ho »

Several alternatives:

1- HOWTO: Open A Beer Bottle With A Piece Of Paper
[video=youtube;qrXmDiYHUY0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrXmDiYHUY0[/video]

2- Ring Bottle Opener

3- key bottle opener

etc...
| C10PGRE + C10FPK390 Endura 4 | C28GPFG Dragonfly | C36TIP Military | C41GP5 Native 5 | C54GPBN Calypso | C65CFP Lum Chinese | C81GPDBL2 PM2 | C90GFPD Strectch | C94TIP UK Penknife | C101PGY2 + C101PBORE2 Manix 2 | C113GPGY Caly 3 | C123TIP Sage 2 | C126GPFG Rock Lobster | C135GP Perrin PPT | C144CFPE Caly 3.5 | C163PBK Pingo | C164GPBN Nilakka || MT16P MT17P MT18P Mule Team |
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

The motor industry is and has started to use titanium infused carbon fibre as its lighter and doesn't shatter at breaking point.
Wether under the usage of knife at breaking points I'm not sure but this is the latest upgrade as seen in the new model that replaces the zonda .
Ot but still relates to the op.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Resin is supposed to dry/cure, right? Excessive UV can damage and fade anything. Especially poor quality stuff. Look at most modded Honda's :p