What is the best way to clean the Sharpmaker rods?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I use Bon Ami, another non-scratching powder cleanser. A large pencil eraser makes a good shortcut method for lightly cleaning the rod off while you are using it.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

araneae wrote:I use Bon Ami, another non-scratching powder cleanser. A large pencil eraser makes a good shortcut method for lightly cleaning the rod off while you are using it.
The "Eraser" does seem to remove impregnated metal in the stones but the problem I've had with using erasers is that the stones just don't seem to have a really good "bite" to them after using the eraser to clean them. The Bar Keeper's Friend really gets those stones squeaky clean down to the bare ceramic with no residue left at all.

And I've tried 3 different types of erasers too. I'm right now experimenting with some other "soaking" methods that I've been told about. Today I'm experimenting with a very caustic cleaning chemical that I've used on many different jobs called TSP ( tri-sodium phosphate). But I must warn anyone that uses TSP that you MUST and I mean absolutely MUST wear protective, chemical resistant gloves or you will experience serious injury to your hands. I found that out the hard way many years ago.

But TSP has some great cleaning properties to it. I'm also playing with a couple of different oven cleaners too>> I'll let you all know if I have any luck with them. Cleaning abrasive stones is a hard work job and I don't think there is any way around it to my knowledge. Like I said if anyone can come up with a better method of cleaning abrasive stones other than Bar Keeper's Friend I'm open to try anything to see if I can improve.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!