New Guy! Spyderco Paramilitary 2 sharpening help!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
CanadaDude

Post by CanadaDude »

So the microbevel/cutting edge is actually a less-acute 40 degree angl,e and you only add it only after first grinding the main bevel to 30 degrees?
So essentially you are sharpening your knife and then "dulling it" a bit by making the final edge less acute so as to maintain a sharp edge?
Cogito

Re: New Guy! Spyderco Paramilitary 2 sharpening help!

Post by Cogito »

I just got my dog tag, and it is ridiculously dull. I'm going to send it to Spyderco for a re profile. What does reprofile even mean? Will they send it back sharp? I can't believe how dull this knife is. Very frustrated.

I did the Sharpie trick and I've been sitting here for an hour on my sharpmaker trying to get to 40 degrees. This is ridiculous.
Last edited by Cogito on Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
farnorthdan

Re: New Guy! Spyderco Paramilitary 2 sharpening help!

Post by farnorthdan »

Re-profiling means change the edge angle, I usually profile my edges at 15 degrees per side or 30 degrees inclusive. I think most spydies come somewhere between 15-18 from the factory, I like to put new blades on my edge pro first thing and re-profile to exactly 15 degrees per side which is easy to do on the EP because its a set system. Sometimes I will take a blade even steeper like say down to 10-12 degrees, that's re profiling.

I believe the dogtag is a chisel grind so only one side of the edge bevel is sharpened, I'm not sure what they are sharpened at though.

I'm sure someone can explain it better which usually seems to be the case. :o
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."