The whole spyderco bali thing sucks

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
f15k13

The whole spyderco bali thing sucks

Post by f15k13 »

placeholder until I figure out how to delete thread
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

46Alpha

Post by 46Alpha »

I think he meant the full size SpyderFly, not the SmallFly Blake :)

$250-$500 is too much? For a Bali?

Dear lord, you just don't know do you. Stick with the Kimura, it's a GREAT entry level bali. If you're willing to expand and you want something that flips, look at the MT Tach II. It's right around $250.

Then go look at going rates for BM Gold Class balis, Basilisk, Flavio Ikoma, Balibalistic, Terry Guinn, 29 Knives etc, etc, etc. Good stuff costs good coin.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Ah gotcha. The rest was a bit confusing but I didn't realize that was the small one.
f15k13

Post by f15k13 »

could somebody tell me how to delete threads? I feel I've done nothing but make an *** of myself.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

You can't do it by your own; contact the Administrator TazKristi and it will be done ... :)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
BAL

Post by BAL »

f15k13 wrote:could somebody tell me how to delete threads? I feel I've done nothing but make an *** of myself.
Welcome to the forums. Its all good, I wouldn't worry about it.
Sometimes a thread like this will take on a life of its own.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Don't worry! Sorry for my grumpy demeanor :(
BAL

Post by BAL »

Besides, if you continue to make an *** of yourself (your words, not mine)
then you might just fit in fine.
46Alpha

Post by 46Alpha »

It should be me apologizing. Re-reading my thread I came off like an ***. I am sorry about that. Truly I am. I didn't mean to sound so ***-like, I was more refering that getting into balis (****, even knives in general) can be a pricey hobby.

Again, I came off as a dick, it was not intended and I'm sorry about that.

FYI, I'm not going to edit my first post ONLY because the apology would seem pointless if not seen in context.

f15k13, again, I am sorry. To be somewhat more helpful, I can tell you that with some looking on other forums that allow sales, you can find disco Spyderco Balis for fair prices. I was able to score a lightly used Szabofly for well under what your looking to spend. Just takes some patience and a bit of luck.

Again, sorry. Please don't take my first post as SOP for this forum. I have a bad habit (so says my wife) of talking down to people. Years of LE I guess.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Hey 46Alpha, your last post is one more reason why I like this forum.
It takes a solid person with a good heart to make an apology like that.
Good stuff.
f15k13

Post by f15k13 »

46Alpha wrote:It should be me apologizing. Re-reading my thread I came off like an ***. I am sorry about that. Truly I am. I didn't mean to sound so ***-like, I was more refering that getting into balis (****, even knives in general) can be a pricey hobby.

Again, I came off as a dick, it was not intended and I'm sorry about that.

FYI, I'm not going to edit my first post ONLY because the apology would seem pointless if not seen in context.

f15k13, again, I am sorry. To be somewhat more helpful, I can tell you that with some looking on other forums that allow sales, you can find disco Spyderco Balis for fair prices. I was able to score a lightly used Szabofly for well under what your looking to spend. Just takes some patience and a bit of luck.

Again, sorry. Please don't take my first post as SOP for this forum. I have a bad habit (so says my wife) of talking down to people. Years of LE I guess.
I just don't understand spending that much on my first (well second, but that's a longish story) balisong when I have seen several bali's that people seem to think are great (bm 42, BKimura, Spyderfly family) for less than $200 or so. (of course, i'm probably mistaken, those prices are probably years old)

not to mention, this is for a knife I'll probably never use. if I need a knife to do a task quickly, or defend myself, a spyderco knife or a spring-assisted knife is going to open much faster, more reliably, and more safely than a bali.

how many times have you opened a spyderco knife (as far as I know, most of them open the same way, one-handed, with the spyder-hole) and cut yourself/dropped it/hit something or someone/made some other dangerous mistake? I know you can get really good with a bali, but opening one fast or under stress (I.E. for self defense), you're bound to make a mistake at some time.

clearly however, I know so very little about balisongs, what brands are good, etc.
I am willing to admit that. I am also willing to admit that I know very little about quite a lot of things, and this is why I spend a lot of my time lurking around forums like these. It seems every time I open my mouth, I wish I didn't.

but it seems to me that balisongs are only really good for flipping, and for an actual knife, I'm probably better off spending my money on other spyderco product(s).
dragonram7

Post by dragonram7 »

I played with one last week. It is mt favorite Bali. Smooth.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

As this is a family forum, perhaps the use of foul language in post #10 might be better looked at?
Stuart Ackerman

As this is a family forum, perhaps editing the use of foul language in post #10 might be better looked at?
[ENFORCER]

Post by [ENFORCER] »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:As this is a family forum, perhaps editing the use of foul language in post #10 might be better looked at?
If I make an *** of myself, I'd sure want everyone to know about it.
Plus, that word is also the name of a donkey.
Maybe he was saying he made a donkey of himself?
Stuart Ackerman

'[ENFORCER wrote:]If I make an *** of myself, I'd sure want everyone to know about it.
Plus, that single word is the name of a donkey.
You are refering to semantics, I am refering to swear words...*** is fine in my book...

Not that I am of consequence...
[ENFORCER]

Post by [ENFORCER] »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:You are refering to semantics, I am refering to swear words...*** is fine in my book...

Not that I am of consequence...
As in "dick"?
*EDITED*
The name of some guys back in the 50's?