Done buying knives for a while

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Evil D wrote:I like to have intimate long term monogamous relationships with my knives, and there are a few on the shelf that haven't been carried in a long time.
I understand exactly what you are saying, David. Between my SBs 3/3.5 M4 Bradley&M2 and Balance, nothing much else gets used. I like owning them, but it's really tempered my desire for much else. We'll see how long that lasts ;)

Good luck, brother.

Ken
玉鋼
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JLS wrote:I did enjoy the one hand opening demonstration on the video. I don't know that he defines "sharp" the same way many of us do if that's an acceptable method of opening.
Yeah...I mean, denim is pretty tough material, but there's no way I would try that with any knife I've sharpened. Even if you didn't cut yourself, I can pretty much guarantee your jeans will get cut.

It's cool though, I don't see this knife as one that will need to be drawn/used/folded/clipped over and over like my EDC gets at work. This one will get pulled out and used for extended periods of time, or not used at all.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

That is quite cool. I kind of want one that's 60% of the size.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Here's another video of the Wild Steer WX. This knife was designed to be used by bow hunters for various reasons. It comes with accessories for cutting wire and removing arrows from trees. I find it pretty awesome that a manufacturer developed a folding knife with the intent of prying arrow heads out of trees, considering the obvious stress it would place on the pivot. I can't wait to get this knife in my hands. I'll probably be the first person in the world to make a dedicated English language video review on it LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2NSHNb3 ... ature=plcp
~David
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Well, I couldn't help it. No new knives but I saw an Edge Pro Apex for a great deal on BF and took the plunge. Can't wait to start putting sweet edges on my :spyder: 's. :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

D1omedes wrote:Well, I couldn't help it. No new knives but I saw an Edge Pro Apex for a great deal on BF and took the plunge. Can't wait to start putting sweet edges on my :spyder: 's. :D

Now you've gone and done it. I hope you're ready to lose hours of sleep obsessing over polished bevels. I have bags under my eyes to prove it, not to mention a pretty expensive shipment of Shapton glass stones coming in the mail for it any day now.
~David
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Evil D wrote:How many of you have said this? LOL. Well, with the latest purchase of my M4 Manix 2, I really feel like I'll be carrying that knife for a good long time. I've also amassed a fairly high stack of Spyderco boxes, which is something that (believe it or not) I don't like doing because I like to have intimate long term monogamous relationships with my knives, and there are a few on the shelf that haven't been carried in a long time.

Today I also ordered a bunch of Shapton glass stones and a few Atoma diamond plates for reprofiling on my Edge Pro, so I should have sharpening under control for a good long while too.
On top of all that, I pulled the trigger on a knife that I've never seen in person or held, that I have zero feedback on except for one video on You Tube. That knife is the Wild Steer WX Folder. If you don't know about this knife, you NEED to watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOYlgsYhmDE

It's not a Spydie, it lacks a thumb hole, **** it lacks any form of one handed opening. It's all metal (except the funky paracord fins), and it doesn't really look to be all that comfortable to use, but the brutal punishment that guy puts this knife through sealed the deal for me, and that's exactly what I plan on doing with it...I'm buying this knife just for morbid destructive abusive curiosity. It'll probably only get carried around the house or hiking/camping, but I couldn't help myself. What I don't need is another awesome Spyderco knife to compete with the already awesome collection I have, so this is something different enough to feel justified. I've always loved the engineering side of a folder, and this knife is chocked full of engineering.

Despite all that, there are still a few knives I feel the need to purchase this year....the Domino, a Junior, the S90V Manix 2/Yojimbo 2, just to name a few.
Have you gotten the shapton glass or how do you like the stones? I have some and like them much. What grits did you get? Do you have any DMT stones to compare the Atomas to? I have DMT and heard the Atomas are better. I've been afraid to buy one thinking I'll want to replac all the DMT, :eek: which work great IMO.

I like the Shapton glass stones enough to make a holder so I can use the Shaptons (or any stone on a EP type blank) for free-hand touchups also. This thing really comes in handy. It will hold stones as short as 4" long like the DMT Aligner stones if glued to a 4.25" blank.