btw, ordered a native ltwt

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kbrouwer

btw, ordered a native ltwt

Post by kbrouwer »

Partly to distract me from my obsession with finding a Para2 but primarily because I wanted a knife that had a reasonably sized (not too small, not to big) sized blade with good ergos to have for camping and harder use tasks. Essentially a knife I wouldn't feel bad sending to **** and back. I do have one or two others that I wouldn't feel bad about beating on but I wanted a Spyderco.

Look for a first impressions post late tomorrow. To be quite honest, I'm not expecting to be blown away but still, a new knife is a new knife.

especially of the Spyderco variety :)
:spyder: :spyder: Kirk Brouwer :spyder: :spyder:
Holland

Post by Holland »

Nice purchase! be sure to post pictures when you receive it
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

The Native has to be one of my favorite knives ever made, and I mean ever.

Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

After some Delicas and Para2s I wanted to see if the Native is worth it.
It is.
The handle feels very solid, I don`t miss the hump and am not annoyed by the partially covered hole when closed as others have stated.
I have yet to find **** to put this knife through.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Very interested in how you feel about the Native. I consider the Native lightweight in the same category for EDC as a Delica. Meaning, about the same size. Perfect size IMO. I prefer the Native because I like choils. I believe yours will not have liners and will be very light. Also good. I like the tip on the Natives better for piercing than the new delica"drop down" tip. Delica is a great knife of course. There's just a couple things I prefer about the Natives. I haven't examined the Native 5 but I have wondered why it is called a Native. It seems different enough to be called something else. All of the other Natives are closer to the same knife except for PE vs SE, color, etc. Doesn't really matter and I want a Native 5. :) The blade on Native lightweights is a little less NKP friendly but I don't care about that much anymore except in rare situations where I care what people think. I love the blade. When I worked I had to care about customer's opinions. But this was the same as wearing clean clothes, taking a shower every week, etc. :)

One thing that I absolutely hate about the Native lightweights is the jimping. I would rather a shark chew on my thumb than use the Native. :eek: It has been mentioned about sharp liners how hard it is to actually get the edge that sharp during manufacturing. My Native got Dremelled within about two hours of opening the box. :D Then it was perfect. I like big groove rounded jimping. Then again, I have Dremelled most of the jimping on my knives anyway. The Native spine is flat but most Spydercos with the hump provide enough thumb pressure aid even if they were smooth (maybe).

Didn't intend to write a mini-review on the Native. I just get excited about new knives I guess. Even other people's new knives. :) I believe you made about as good a choice as there is in model for a semi-beater (for lack of another phrase) Spyderco. Great knife. I would like to hear what you think about the jimping (as well as other people). I just can't understand the jimping being so different than the other Spydercos.