FrogLube vs. Nano Oil

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
paisa777

FrogLube vs. Nano Oil

Post by paisa777 »

So I'm looking to buy my first lubricant and have narrowed it down to these two. All of the reviews I've read on Froglube has been for guns. I was wondering if anybody has used it on their knives and what their experience is. If you use your knife for food prep, do you get the supposed minty taste? :p
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

paisa777 wrote:So I'm looking to buy my first lubricant and have narrowed it down to these two. All of the reviews I've read on Froglube has been for guns. I was wondering if anybody has used it on their knives and what their experience is. If you use your knife for food prep, do you get the supposed minty taste? :p
As of this particular time I haven't gotten to try either one of them>> although I've heard good about both of them. I've had such good luck with Militec for overall folding knife lubrication. And I'm using the dry lube put out by Sentry Solutions called "BP 2000" on more models here lately. But I think I still like the Militec the best.

After all the years I've been going to Gun & Knife shows I've yet to find anything that can surpass the luck I've had with Militec. Militec also has a synthetic grease that is great as well. It's light enough and slick enough to use on high quality fishing reels.

With all the talk about "nanotechnology" and the new high tech products I got a feeling that we will see many lubrications we have now become obsolete. I would like to find samples of both these new products and give them a try. Because lubrication is so important to prevent tool failure and in a survival situation it would be of utmost importance.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Josh623

Post by Josh623 »

I have the 10 weight nanolube that I have been playing around with in my knives... After a couple of months I can say that there is no noticeable difference between this lube and other light weight oils imho.
Revival

Post by Revival »

The reason it works so well for firearms its that as it heats up while shooting, the froglube lubricates the gun and makes the slide slick. Problem is its expensive. Is it worth the price? A lot of people who use it on their firearms would say yes for sure. That being said, I dont think it is worth using on a knife.

I use Weapon Shield on all of my firearms and plan on using it on my knives. It works great on my firearms and wouldnt use anything else. Its a CLP so it should do everything i need it to do.

I am curious about this Nano Oil. Been hearing about it but I dont know too much about it yet. Curious to know the feedback from the people that have tried it.
ChaoticMayhem65

Post by ChaoticMayhem65 »

Josh623 wrote:I have the 10 weight nanolube that I have been playing around with in my knives... After a couple of months I can say that there is no noticeable difference between this lube and other light weight oils imho.
I have the 10 weight nano oil also and im not very impressed after reading all the spectacular reviews. Doesn't seem like anything special to me that i cant get on any of the way cheaper oils. Although i do love its needle tip applicator.
cckw

Post by cckw »

there are a hundred good options. I use slip 2000. I have their knife lube, but normally don't bother to look for it and just use the gun lube. But these lube brands are not much different from each other in the end. Only thing is if cutting food things you want to consider whats in it. Slip 2000 is one of the good ones on that but still at least a dozen other options. Just get something and move on to buying more knives.

Here is something some people might like to look over http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_7/502758_.html
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I started using Nano-Oil late last year and have been happy with it. It doesn't seem to be a "game changer", but it is a great general purpose knife lube - as good or better than the other options on the market.

Having said that, I've got five or six different knife lubes in my workbench. All of them have been used at one point or another and they all seem to do the trick. I wouldn't sweat the decision - just pick one of the top-shelf products on the market and see if it meets your needs.

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

I use nano-oil. i love the stuff. I have used it on items around the house that no other lube could beat. Those were of course non-knife related, but it increased by faith in nano-oil ten fold. I tend to gauge a lube by how often i need to reapply it. So far nano-oil has been the best for me. I use the 5wt to get into the pivot and the 85wt for areas like the ball detent and liner-lock face.

JD
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

I've been using Frog Lube because I already have it for my guns, and because it's non-toxic.

It works just fine like many lubes (toxic and otherwise) and since one drop on a pivot is more than enough for months, expense doesn't really come into the equation. The bottle I have would be a lifetime supply if I only used it for knives.
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

I hate to say it, but I use Benchmade's Blue Lube. It's the best I've found and it's pretty cheap. Sometimes I feel a little odd using their lube when I don't use any of their knives, but I get by.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
paisa777

Post by paisa777 »

donutsrule wrote:I've been using Frog Lube because I already have it for my guns, and because it's non-toxic.

It works just fine like many lubes (toxic and otherwise) and since one drop on a pivot is more than enough for months, expense doesn't really come into the equation. The bottle I have would be a lifetime supply if I only used it for knives.
So do you basically use the liquid for the pivot and the paste for the blade itself or just liquid throughout?
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

I've just put a drop as close to the pivot as I can get it without disassembly, work it in and let it flush out any lint or whatever, wipe off excess with cloth as it appears, and then go on my way. The excess on the cloth did a nice job removing light tape residue (?) goop on the blade last night.

If I ever had one apart, I might heat the blade and use the paste just for fun, but haven't really had any problems with the liquid.
45noalive

Post by 45noalive »

I have also been a long time user of froglube. I love it. I use it on all my guns and usually when I get a new knife I give the blade some warmth with a heat gun and let the froglube paste melt itself into the steel. I like to do this to help against rust, it smells good, and plus it cant hurt. For those of you that don't know its a bio-based substance so its ok to eat. That makes me feel good if I need my knife for food prep.
jordan
Life's too short to carry crappy knives.

C54 Calypso Brown G-10| SuperLeaf G-10| Stretch & Dragonfly ZDP-189| Delica 4 Brown FRN | Assist Orange FRN | Manix2 Blue FRCP | Caly 3 SuperBlue
dano

Post by dano »

I dont fall for the supposed miracle qualities of nano lube...For folders with bronze bushings, i use whatever i have on hand, which is, currently, BM blue lube. I dont lube folders with nylon/nylotron washers.
ChaoticMayhem65

Post by ChaoticMayhem65 »

dano wrote:I dont fall for the supposed miracle qualities of nano lube...For folders with bronze bushings, i use whatever i have on hand, which is, currently, BM blue lube. I dont lube folders with nylon/nylotron washers.
I don't know about nano lube but like i said previously, i use nano oil and am not impressed. To me its just an overpriced oil.
makarios

Post by makarios »

Interesting discussion; I'm brand new to this forum, so hello everyone. I have been using frog lube for a long time and it works for me, just like someone else said, I heat up the blades under a lamp and then melt the grease on them, let them cool off and wipe off; it stays there; same as the pivots but I use the oil. After using this stuff on my guns I stopped using all other lubricants. I haven't used Millitec but I read some good reviews on it, the nano-oil is a new one for me, I guess I should get out more often. Thanks to the post originator for bringing it up, I am thankful to be able to read all of the opinions shared; now I know I'm not tripping about the frog lube.
Nano-Oil

Post by Nano-Oil »

JudasD wrote:I use nano-oil. i love the stuff. I have used it on items around the house that no other lube could beat. Those were of course non-knife related, but it increased by faith in nano-oil ten fold. I tend to gauge a lube by how often i need to reapply it. So far nano-oil has been the best for me. I use the 5wt to get into the pivot and the 85wt for areas like the ball detent and liner-lock face.

JD
If you want to reach the pivot without removing the pivot screw,
- just back off the screw slightly to let capillary action move the lubricant of your choice to the right place.
- wait for 30 seconds after applying,
- tap the blade or handle on your hand or on a soft material, this will pump / speed the reach to pivot.
- wait about 10 minutes before re torquing the pivot to allow capillary action to enter the pivot,
- wipe off excess and / or blow compressed air if you have it.
- over torque to a stiff opening & closing,
- then back off screw 1/32 turn or less at a time then test opening / closing until you find the sweet spot.
If the lubricant works as described,
you should end up with a blade / handle totally solid while still opening & closing smoothly.
Christian StClaire
TomH

Post by TomH »

Although I've got other oils already, I too picked up some Frog Lube because it's non-toxic.
donutsrule wrote:I've been using Frog Lube because I already have it for my guns, and because it's non-toxic.