Modified PINGO in its final incarnation - UPDATE.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

Excellent work. I love it!
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

That is a really beautiful mix of organic and inorganic lines. Very nice work.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

sal wrote:hey Scout,

Great final result and a very interesting adventure watching your tutorial. We are honored and humbled that such skilled persons would take the time and extend the efffort to create such art with our products.

Are you going to offer your mods to others?

sal
Sal, thank you very much. It means a lot comming from you.

Not all manaufacurers would take kindly to anybody messing with their design let alone take the time to comment on it.

I'm very grateful to you for even bothering with making DK legal knives. I've been wanting a Spyderco for years.

This modification was made purely because it was fun and because we could. When I say 'we,' its really my friend who is the guy with the know-how to do this. I merely pushed him to do it and hovered over him, while we worked at it..., but then he is easy to get to go along with such projects, as we both find it fun to experiment with new materials for knives etc.

As this was done in our spare time, I cant see us making the scales as a production item.

But never say never; we can now easily make a mould and make some more, should we want to. In other words; we have no plans for it, but theoretically, we could do it.

I would like to try to make the 'SpyderWeb' design, which I have mentioned before.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

tonydahose wrote:i like it, good job.
Holland wrote:incredible job! that takes the cake for nicest pingo ive seen
KardinalSyn wrote:I like it. Wish that you would post more pics with a few close ups.
SpyderNut wrote:Nicely done! :) I too would love to see some close-up pics when you get the time.
Bladekeeper wrote:Reading your initial thread and the process I wondered how long before requests were made for mods can I ask a question ?.
Request for mods started right after I posted my first thread on the Pingo and the changes we made.
I know the project was done with a friend so cost may not have come into it but considering the time and process is the modification more expensive than the knife itself.
Cost was not a consideration/factor at all, as you hint at. This was merely two friends chatting and going over a project before going ahead, so the planning fase was several hours alone. The project took weeks as there was a lot of experimenting done. This was the first time either of us made knife scales from nanocyl and honeycomb. There was a lot of 'firsts' involved.
Not that it takes anything away and its relative as its customised so if you decided to sell it I'd expect people would be willing to pay for a unique piece.
I have no plans to sell this one as its mine and I've wanted a Spyderco for a long time, ever since I had to get rid of my last Spyderco years ago. I actually liked the Pingo even before we started modding it. We made this just because we could, not because the Pingo really needs it or beause we wanted to start selling Pingo kits.
Just something that crossed my mind , and would there be a way of reducing the costs I mean its pretty advanced stuff.
As mentioned, some experimenting was involved. With the knowledge we now have about the material, we know a lot more about the process. For example, the nanycyl blocks were exposed to vacuum prior to being cut into shape. The vacuum phase alone takes several days and may not even be neccesary. We might try making the scales without vacuum the next time, we have a project. That would certainly save man hours. As for other cost cutting, I cant see how thats possible right off the bat; we used 'raw materials' where ever possible and everyting else was hand made, so difficult to cut cost there.
c.joe wrote:Excellent work. I love it!
SolidState wrote:That is a really beautiful mix of organic and inorganic lines. Very nice work.
Thank you all very much for all the positive comments. Its quite overwhelming.

Some asked for more pics, so I just now snapped a few more. Here goes and thanks again:

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Beautiful pics and a terrific mod job. I am impressed!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Well, I'm buying a Pingo. Thanks a lot. :rolleyes: Thanks for more pics. So nice!
- best wishes, Jazz.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Jazz wrote:Well, I'm buying a Pingo. Thanks a lot. :rolleyes: Thanks for more pics. So nice!
:D :D :D

You wont regret it. Its a great knife.

Look forward to your impression of it.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Wow. Just wow. Amazing work, SpyderScout. This Pingo probably means even more to you given that this is truly a "one-of-a-kind" Spydie. Thanks for the added pictures!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Chipped Karambit

Post by Chipped Karambit »

Now that sir, is a beauty. Earns the name Pingo.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

SpyderNut wrote:Wow. Just wow. Amazing work, SpyderScout. This Pingo probably means even more to you given that this is truly a "one-of-a-kind" Spydie. Thanks for the added pictures!
Thank you very much and yes it does. Nice to put ones own stamp on a knife.

Chipped Karambit wrote:Now that sir, is a beauty. Earns the name Pingo.
Thanks

'Before' and 'after' shot:
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I was just thinking you should do a Squeak now, the same.
- best wishes, Jazz.
linuxology

Post by linuxology »

I love this pingo. /drools
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Jazz wrote:I was just thinking you should do a Squeak now, the same.
linuxology wrote:I love this pingo. /drools
Thank you :)

Jazz, I dont have a Squeak - I'm thinking this Mule might be next.

Black and silver should go well with the Suminagashi :p

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Well, just don't forget to show it off when you do it, eh. :cool:
You should throw a pic or two of your Pingo in the "Show your mods" thread.
- best wishes, Jazz.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Jazz wrote:Well, just don't forget to show it off when you do it, eh. :cool:
You should throw a pic or two of your Pingo in the "Show your mods" thread.
I wont forget :cool: :p
Pingo in mods thread - check. Thanks for reminding me.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Thank you sir. :)
- best wishes, Jazz.