spyderco manix2 xl vs spyderco around 100

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
seraphim87

spyderco manix2 xl vs spyderco around 100

Post by seraphim87 »

i want to purchase the manix2 xl i like the look but sometimes i hear or see videos about the cage ball lock failing so it kind of scares me and my towns blade length for carrying is 3 inches so i dont know if they will count this as a deadly weapon instead of a edc so im trying to see if there are any knives preferable under 110 like the sage i thought was nice but i want something as big if not bigger than my tenacious and ive had a kershaw skyline with vg10 and it broke with little use so im kind of afraid of vg10 i like s30v though it looks tough so are there any knives with a strong steel tough blade and around 100 like the manix 2 xl and did they fix the ball lock yet? the video i saw was actually very recent he said he flipped it open and the lock fell apart :eek: they sent him the lock in the mail but i was hoping for a liner back or something thanks ^_^ :)
ricechrispy

Post by ricechrispy »

The Native 5 can be had for just over $100. It is an excellent knife and would be legal for you to carry based on that 3" blade length limit.
In chronological order:
Paramilitary 2, BD30P Manix 2, Delica 4, M390 Mule, XHP Military, Dragonfly 2, Woodcraft Mule, ZDP-189 Manbug, Cruwear Mule, Superleaf, Forum Native 5, Manix 2 XL, Endura 4
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

seraphim87 wrote:i want to purchase the manix2 xl i like the look but sometimes i hear or see videos about the cage ball lock failing so it kind of scares me and my towns blade length for carrying is 3 inches so i dont know if they will count this as a deadly weapon instead of a edc so im trying to see if there are any knives preferable under 110 like the sage i thought was nice but i want something as big if not bigger than my tenacious and ive had a kershaw skyline with vg10 and it broke with little use so im kind of afraid of vg10 i like s30v though it looks tough so are there any knives with a strong steel tough blade and around 100 like the manix 2 xl and did they fix the ball lock yet? the video i saw was actually very recent he said he flipped it open and the lock fell apart :eek: they sent him the lock in the mail but i was hoping for a liner back or something thanks ^_^ :)
What video are you referring to? Sending a replacement lock in the mail is NOT what Spyderco would do. The ball bearing lock is extremely strong. There was a possible issue that was reported a few years back (and was the subject of heated debate whether the knife was abused or used improperly, but it's hard to draw conclusions based on a single video), but Spyderco subsequently modified the lock to avoid any similar failures. This redesign was prior to the XL being released, so it wouldn't have the "flaw" of the initial design. While it is possible that a defective one slipped through QC, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Manix 2 or XL (I own a Manix 2 and don't worry about it). If it makes you feel any better, I've seen videos of a Ferrari's engine catch on fire, but I highly doubt that is a widespread problem either and wouldn't stop me from owning one (the price tag on the other hand... :D ).

If your town has a 3" limit, it would probably be best to follow the law and carry a knife that is legal. Of course, many of the laws have provisions for carrying of larger blades (for work, religious reasons, lawful recreational activities, etc), but only you know the situation in which you are carrying so it's difficult for any of us to give good advice on the subject other than the very simple: follow the law.

I'm not quite sure what you are asking for in a knife. You say you want a Manix XL or other knife bigger than your Tenacious (3.4"), but then you mention the 3" limit and not wanting to carry something that would be considered a weapon. If the 3" limit is important, the Sage is a great knife that meets your requirements. On the cheaper side, the Delica is extremely popular while the Native 5 ricechrispy mentioned is right at the top end of your budget and is an excellent knife as well. If you're looking for something bigger than 3", the Para 2 is one of Spyderco's best sellers for a reason and, if you can find it, is within your budget. While the Para 2 slices well, if you want a beefier blade, look for a hollow-ground Manix 2 or try to pick up one of the recently discontinued Superleafs.

Don't be thrown off by VG-10 either, as Spyderco has one of the best heat-treats and pretty much any situation that would break Spyderco's VG-10 would also cause the same blade in S30V to break as well. I can't think of a situation where the VG-10 blade would break, unless you are using it in place of the proper tool, like an ax or pry-bar. In that situation, you can't really fault the steel. ;)
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
seraphim87

Post by seraphim87 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU_Wd00jf-Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESC858OfTgY

these two videos he has a manix i think though but i just dont want to buy a manix 2 xl if it isnt going to be a good tough knife i got a tenacious i just wanted to replace my tenacious with a more well build knife a few i had my site on were manix 2, manix 2 xl, sage but it was too small for me, para was too expensive, kershaw junkyard dog 2.2, and kershaw blur s30v, and also i did read my state 3 inch limit but i dont know what exactly their "3 inches" is and i thought about the sage and stuff but it seemed alittle small like 2 or so cutting edge i want something as big as the tenacious but under 3.5 cutting edge so i can atleast have a good arguement in court (if it comes to that) cause the laws do mention a 3 inch but it doesnt exactly say 3.00 inches so it can be argued these knifes are still in the 3 inch limit lol hopefully :D but those knives seem nice i might look into the caly 3 if it isnt too expensive, but i might just settle for a becker bk2
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Ahhh, international problem. Makes sense to ship parts in that instance! Thanks for sharing the videos and I'm glad to see his cage issue resolved. The broken cage is not normal (just like a Ferrari catching on fire isn't normal), but perhaps a non-ball lock would put your mind at ease. The Caly3 is a fantastic knife as well.

I'm no lawyer, so you can take this with a grain of salt, but size limits tends to restrict overall blade length, regardless of cutting edge length. Just my two cents.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com