showing off my new mule team #16.

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
JV3

showing off my new mule team #16.

Post by JV3 »

watch out! there's a new sheath maker in town.

this knife is surprisingly comfortable to hold even without scales...the palm swells are awesome.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Nice sheath.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

I want to know how you opened that box without tearing it :D I took great care but ripped every **** mule box I have got .
I wish they would come in the slide format other models do and the worst was the woodcraft blister pack almost impenetrable .
thurin

Post by thurin »

Bladekeeper wrote:I want to know how you opened that box without tearing it :D I took great care but ripped every **** mule box I have got .
I wish they would come in the slide format other models do and the worst was the woodcraft blister pack almost impenetrable .
Mike at the SFO showed me how to use a knife blade to open it without tearing. Slide the blade in with the spine toward the tab and pull that side out. Then do the same on the other side.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Initially I tore a bunch of my Spyderco boxes trying to open them :) . Since I was always eager to get at the contents I didn't take care to slide a dull blade or other object in to slide the tab out.

Good to see you over here JV3! I have quite a few Mules now that are waiting for me to make handles for them.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Like rodloos I use a long knife blade to slide under and lever up. Mine is sharp however.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Holland

Post by Holland »

nice sheath! let me know when you start taking orders :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
JV3

Post by JV3 »

ChapmanPreferred wrote:Nice sheath.
thanks!

Bladekeeper wrote:I want to know how you opened that box without tearing it :D I took great care but ripped every **** mule box I have got .
haha. i've torn other boxes as well, just not this one. i just used my fingernails to pry the side with the tab off.

thurin wrote:Mike at the SFO showed me how to use a knife blade to open it without tearing. Slide the blade in with the spine toward the tab and pull that side out. Then do the same on the other side.
nice tip!

rodloos wrote:Initially I tore a bunch of my Spyderco boxes trying to open them :) . Since I was always eager to get at the contents I didn't take care to slide a dull blade or other object in to slide the tab out.

Good to see you over here JV3! I have quite a few Mules now that are waiting for me to make handles for them.
thanks, man! i finally learned how to use a compass and found my way out of the jungle forum :D

Holland wrote:nice sheath! let me know when you start taking orders :D
thanks! it's going to be a long r&d phase first - lots of pizza needs to be consumed to find out which cardboard is tough enough for mass production :p
JV3

Post by JV3 »

just got the orange g10 handles earlier today:

now, my pair of cts-xhp is complete - i just need to make some kydex sheath for the mule.

i'm really liking the steel so far - been running out of cardboard to cut.
thurin

Post by thurin »

That orange is sharp JV3. I'll need to swap out my thin black for the contoured orange now that they're back in stock (unless they're gone already).

You'll need to remake your sheath now though. I'm expecting to see a new how-to thread. ;)
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

Destroying boxes by hand? :eek:
That`s what I have my knives for: neat little pieces of red cardboard when my Para2 is done. :D
I had to get more than one of those XHPs and I am eagerly awaiting a hard cutting job to see if it pleases me as much as my S30V blades do (corrosion- and edgewise). Maybe I will use some of my very hard dogwood (if translation is correct) for handles.
Have to hurry to see if XHP is to my liking before the Chaparral is upgraded.
JV3

Post by JV3 »

thurin wrote:That orange is sharp JV3. I'll need to swap out my thin black for the contoured orange now that they're back in stock (unless they're gone already).

You'll need to remake your sheath now though. I'm expecting to see a new how-to thread. ;)
hehe, no how-to thread but i've been messing around with my first kydex sheaths this weekend...one thing i learned though is skip the trouble of making a press and elaborate clamping rigs, etc. i just placed the foam between two pieces of wood and stood on it for 3 min and it actually came out just as nice, if not nicer, than the clamping system i rigged up that i saw from all over youtube :D way faster to "clamp" and "un-clamp" too!

...still need trimming - finally, i have an excuse to buy a dremel :p

Commendatore wrote:Destroying boxes by hand? :eek:
That`s what I have my knives for: neat little pieces of red cardboard when my Para2 is done. :D
I had to get more than one of those XHPs and I am eagerly awaiting a hard cutting job to see if it pleases me as much as my S30V blades do (corrosion- and edgewise). Maybe I will use some of my very hard dogwood (if translation is correct) for handles.
Have to hurry to see if XHP is to my liking before the Chaparral is upgraded.
i definitely like the cts-xhp over s30v now but i need to do a more formal cardboard cutting test to really see how long the edge outlasts s30v...i think i've heard of dogwood before so your translation is correct :)