Suggestions for forcing patina?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
d.2.the.p

Suggestions for forcing patina?

Post by d.2.the.p »

I'm awaiting delivery of the SB Caly 3, and after seeing some pictures of others' work, I think I want to force a patina on the blade. I've seen a number of different methods employed here in the forums, so I'm looking for ideas as to what avenue I should go down. For instance, should I remove the blade and submerge it in white vinegar for 30 minutes, or should I leave the blade in the handle and just jab the blade into an onion and leave it there overnight? I know there's a ton of different ways to do this, so I'm open to any and all suggestions. Pics will always help in the decision making process. Thanks!
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I'm gonna anodize mine, but white vinegar or even lemon juice work. The main thing is to use plastic tape to cover the tang that goes around the pin.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

If you want an even patina, immersing in vinegar would be one option. I myself prefer a natural patina developed with slicing apples. :)

MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

I've found cutting up cooked meat like a medium rare steak to leave a nice pattern. Hot vinegar works quickly, and any variety of pattern of etch can be applied with unlimited possibilities up to an even full black (dark) etch.

I think when mine comes I'm gonna let regular use create a patina and keep it dry of water to prevent rusting.

My GB Air had some rust form on it so I gave it the hot vinegar etch and the blade kinda looks like it's DLC coated.
Blade and Flame

Post by Blade and Flame »

MachSchnell wrote:My GB Air had some rust form on it so I gave it the hot vinegar etch and the blade kinda looks like it's DLC coated.
That sounds great, do you have photos?
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

玉鋼
Holland

Post by Holland »

ive always stabbed into onions myself, and then used mustard to add designs if i want to...

However, if this is your first sb knife, i would highly suggest using it in the kitchen for a bit and enjoy the way the steel patinas naturally; it a fun process. you will see a change in the colour of the steel within seconds of making your first cut into fruit
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Red onions put a patina on my VG-10 blades in minutes. Amazed what it would do with carbon
Holland

Post by Holland »

.357 mag wrote:Red onions put a patina on my VG-10 blades in minutes. Amazed what it would do with carbon
patina on a vg10 blade????
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

kbuzbee wrote:Image
That's basically how mine came out. :cool:
phaust

Post by phaust »

Ferric Chloride (PCB etchant) will get it the darkest. Radio Shack sells it.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

This happened with about 5 seconds of cutting into a strawberry. I applied Tuf-Glide to the pivot area before, and that part of the blade still shows no patina at all.

:bug-red-white
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Citrus acid , limes , oranges , lemons etc as stated mustard overnight can be a quick way but in the case of more fluid application eg juice, make sure you apply oil after or it will rust.
I have a firestorm Damascus from a custom maker the Damascus is HHH he has the same blade and had a lovely blue patina come up cutting raw fish.
I don't know if its the same in the USA but we have onion vinegar is this what you refer too as 'white vinegar ?.
The higher the acidic content the more even and pronounced effect is achieved .
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Holland wrote:patina on a vg10 blade????
Heavy stain anyway... :)
Clip

Post by Clip »

I've just cut numerous apples and watched it darken over time. Like gbelleh, I applied TufGlide with the same results.

This was after an apple or two, now the rest of the blade is the dark color behind the edge (tang still clean):
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

MachSchnell wrote:
My GB Air had some rust form on it so I gave it the hot vinegar etch and the blade kinda looks like it's DLC coated.
So you just heat up the vinegar and drop the blade in? Or am I missing something? How long did it take?
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
araneae

Post by araneae »

I use mustard. You can use it to make patterns. Heat speeds up the chemical reaction. I am looking forward to my super blue Caly, should be here tomorrow. I am still debating whether to force a patina or let it happen on its own.

[ATTACH]21369[/ATTACH]
Attachments
knives393.jpg
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

I don't know why I am so nervous and apprehensive about doing this. I think it's because I can't "undo" it if I don't like how it turns out. I think the ones pictured in this thread look beautiful but there is no guarantee mine will turn out that way.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Jay_Ev wrote:I don't know why I am so nervous and apprehensive about doing this. I think it's because I can't "undo" it if I don't like how it turns out. I think the ones pictured in this thread look beautiful but there is no guarantee mine will turn out that way.
I have "reset" the patina on my GB by using metal polish. In my experience, it will quickly remove the patina from the steel. I also use metal polish to take of the patina on the bevel of my SB Caly 3.5 when I want shiny bevels again. :D
Clip

Post by Clip »

I'm loving the initial rainbow of patina that happens after the first cuts. I think I'll try to Tuf Glide it to try and seal it in.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris