Spyderco Knives vs Dangerous Animal Attacks!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Spyderco Knives vs Dangerous Animal Attacks!

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

First of all, I do NOT advocate someone intentionally endangering themselves in order to test any of this. That being said, I would like your feedback:

In having to fight, hand to hand, the following known wild and deadly animals, what particular Spyderco knife would you consider would be best in fending off such critters?

1 Bears (Polar, Brown Bear/Grizzly/Black Bear/Any)

2 Large carnivorous cats (lions, tigers, mountain lions, leopards, lynx, any)

3 Sharks (Great White, Bull, Tiger, Blue, Mako, Any)

4 Alligators/Crocodiles

5 Snakes (any, from anacondas and pythons to rattlers and sea snakes)

6 Wolves, coyotes, or even wild dogs (canines)

What would be best? Enduras? Matriarchs, Hawkbill ones like Tasman Salt, or fixed blades like the Jump Master or Aqua Salt? Feel free to name any of the Spyderco knives that you think would give the best liklihood of survival.

SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Something else: Please share the various tactics and methods, in using said knives, would be most effective in fighting off wild beasts.

Example: Say I'm in the back country and I'm charged by a full grown grizzly, and all I have on me is a Pacific Salt folder. Would I make a loud "rarrrr" noise at him and try to go for the bear's throat, or the legs, or what? That sort of thing. Like with sharks I heard you would want to go for the gills and eyes and nose.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I'd take an AK-47...
Holland

Post by Holland »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I'd take an AK-47...
i think a 10 or 12 gauge would be more effective for the bears and cats,

how bout a ballistic knife?

or a flamethrower vs the land animals would make for an easy fight
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

True dat.

With the exceptions or mid-size cat or snakes any creature above that decides its not going to kill you and run away, your chances are slim.

There is always a story of success and often it's a series of lucky dice rolls. Humans are slow, weak, and clumsy. We didn't get to the top of the food chain via melee prowess.
Invective

Post by Invective »

Well, from what I've seen on the forums here, a SE Endura has worked well in the past against snakes.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... ight=snake
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

they say if you smear enough bacon grease on your knife ( or handgun) you might be able to throw it to the Grizzly and make your getaway while he's sniffing it. I'm not sure if yelling "raaarrrr!!" is going to help or make the bear laugh. It did me. :)

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
BAL

Post by BAL »

When I am testing a knife against a wild animal such as a bear, I never look
directly into their eyes. Try to deflect their anger by changing the subject. Ask
to see their knife collection. Tell a joke. If he starts to laugh, then you have
already begun to win the fight. A little humor goes a long way, especially with
a mad bear.

Slowly, try to work your hand down to your Yojimbo or Military. If he is watching
your hand, then act like your are simple scratching yourself. A bear will mimick
your actions and might begin to scratch himself as well. Any diversion is to your
benefit.

Talk about sports. Say "How bout them Cowboys". Try to get yourself out of there
by doing this. Yawn slowly and say "Hey, look at the time, I really should be going.
You take care of yourself bear." Then slowly try to move away.

If the bear begin to move toward you with angry motions and growls, do this. It is
very important.Quickly call your wife on your cell phone. Tell her that you love her
and the kids. Tell her that your grey suit is your favorite before hanging up. Then
slowly bend down moving your lips closer to your backside. You will soon be
kissing it goodbye.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

None of the above. Bring a friend that's not as fast as you. Trip them to if you wish.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If I had no other choice but to use a knife, I'd go with:

1. Warrior
2. Warrior
3. Warrior
4. Warrior
5. Warrior
6. Warrior

But I much prefer dispatching attacks from a distance when possible.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Naw, brother... SW500! You'll make a lot of little holes. I'll make 5 BIG ones ;)

Barring that, I'm with BAL on this. BOAKYAG!

Ken
玉鋼
acer

Post by acer »

Bal. I like the sense of humour, STILL LAUGHING.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

.357 mag wrote:None of the above. Bring a friend that's not as fast as you. Trip them to if you wish.
:)

I'm thinking of getting a Temp 2 for wilderness protection, however slim it is. Better than nothing.

- best wishes, Jazz.
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

I think BAL's scenario is right. You have to be smarter than the average bear. Though my money is still on the bear.
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

I'd crap myself and run like **** until the critter eventually ran me down and ate me. Bal takes the prize for this one. :D

Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
araneae

Post by araneae »

BAL wrote:When I am testing a knife against a wild animal such as a bear, I never look
directly into their eyes. Try to deflect their anger by changing the subject. Ask
to see their knife collection. Tell a joke. If he starts to laugh, then you have
already begun to win the fight. A little humor goes a long way, especially with
a mad bear.

Slowly, try to work your hand down to your Yojimbo or Military. If he is watching
your hand, then act like your are simple scratching yourself. A bear will mimick
your actions and might begin to scratch himself as well. Any diversion is to your
benefit.

Talk about sports. Say "How bout them Cowboys". Try to get yourself out of there
by doing this. Yawn slowly and say "Hey, look at the time, I really should be going.
You take care of yourself bear." Then slowly try to move away.

If the bear begin to move toward you with angry motions and growls, do this. It is
very important.Quickly call your wife on your cell phone. Tell her that you love her
and the kids. Tell her that your grey suit is your favorite before hanging up. Then
slowly bend down moving your lips closer to your backside. You will soon be
kissing it goodbye.
:D Good answer.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
deep6

Post by deep6 »

Best defense against a bear is another bear, hopefully a bigger one.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Now that I have Bear, my 18 lb. Pekingese, I no longer worry about such things. He sincerely believes himself to be the living incarnation of the mythical Foo Dog.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
chukar8

Post by chukar8 »

No knife in the world is awesome enough for me to tangle with a bear, or a big Tom cat, or a wolf! 12 Ga with OO buck backed up by a slug or two.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

.357 mag wrote:None of the above. Bring a friend that's not as fast as you. Trip them to if you wish.
Maybe the question should be, "What Spyderco would give my friend the confidence to distract...I mean defend...me from a grizzly bear?"