What Spyderco do Fire-Fighters prefer?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

What Spyderco do Fire-Fighters prefer?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What Spyderco knives do most professional firefighters prefer to use? I would assume various Rescue and Endura models?

Thank you for your service, to all of the First Responders on the forum!

I have a related question: I did not read yet about this: At what temperature does the FRN of most Spyderco handles start to melt and combust? What is the maximum known safe temperature?

Holland

Post by Holland »

The assist is probably pretty popular for firefighters
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Clip

Post by Clip »

Tony (tonydahose) would be one of the guys to ask about this, good contributor on these forums.

A quick search on Google claims that Spyderco uses a 30% glass-fiber reinforced nylon, but didn't see it substantiated. Here's a link to Nylon 6/6 with 30% GF reinforcement.

http://www.plastic-products.com/spec1.htm
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
clunk

Post by clunk »

I am a volunteer firefighter (wildland), but during a lot of the general work around the station I've used my Endura4, and in the field I used my Paramilitary 2 a lot more. I'm a lot less worried about my Paramilitary 2 G-10 scales melting than my Endura4 FRN scales. I melted my helmet on a fire once, so I'm sure the FRN would have melted if it was in the same position as my helmet.

A friend of mine (also wildland) has a Ti Military and really loves it for general tasks like cutting fiber tape, hose, and fusees.
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... -my-tasman
tonydahose wrote:here ya go, if i were to do it again i would make it shorter, there isn't any reason it needs to be that long. more pics are in the link below the picture.

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... dow&page=2

here is a video of a jumpmaster with the same mod, i keep that knife on the outside of my firecoat.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v680/ ... G_0342.mp4
tonydahose wrote:this was my old firecoat knife. i bought a jumpmaster and gifted this one away to a Lt. so it is still in service :)

"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

tonydahose wrote:OK, here is a completely stolen mod...well not stolen, the gent from whom i copied this from is a fireman up in the Great White North and he let me know his secrets but i gave him my word that i would only do this mod on other firemans knives in my firehouse, so please don't ask any questions about it. thanks! i can pass on his email if you PM me and you can talk to him about it. Anyways here it is, some nice window breaks for 2 of my knives. This carbide is tuffff. it is funny to see you run a file over it and the file gets scratched :eek: . I have wanted one on my jumpmaster for a while, i keep this knife on the outside of my firecoat underneath my flashlight. Most people don't even notice that i have a knife on me, that is if they don't know me :p . since the bit is the same depth as the blade i just made a notch for it to slip thru. I cut some small grooves in the bit to give the epoxy something to grab on to. Between that and being sandwiched between the scales i dont think it is going anywhere. Next time we get to drill on a car i will let everyone know how it worked. As for the salt, well that is the knife from the science experiment that didn't go so well, do a search you will find it :p . I sent it off to spydieland to get sharpened and it is still kicking. i figure i am going to put this in one of my cars, with the H1 i can leave it and just forget about it until i (hopefully will never) need it.

I think Tony knows his stuff :)
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

tonydahose wrote:i haven't done the glow/epoxy treatment yet but here are some pics of my rigging and the old tasman before it went into the dishwasher this morning :) .

the sheath is connected to the light with 4 zipties, electrical tape and one of the straps that came with the sheath. the whole contraption is hooked onto my coat with the keychain ring and some velcro between the tape and band. i needed to make a block because the light tapers and if i ziptied it without it the sheath wouldn't release the knife. if spyderco machined into the butt of the knife a replaceable window breaking pin and orange/yellow scales on the knife it could be marketed to the fire service. anyways here are the pics.

edit: i was cutting the zip ties (i used alot till i got it all figured out, then used some more because i didnt put fresh batteries in the light :o ) with either the jumpmaster or an ATR w/ se edge. the difference between the 2 was remarkable. it was so much easier with the jumpmaster. both are equally sharp but the atr's serrations where much more scallopped/arched..does that make sense? just an observation i thought i would throw out there.

For those that wont follow the link I posted

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Not sure of the exact temps involved but FRN can be melted with a soldering iron and by prolonged contact with the hot burner on an electric stove. OTOH, someone with more money than sense made a YouTube video where they tossed an FRN Spyderco into a fire in their fireplace. It appeared to remain undamaged for a fair amount of time.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

At least 3 to 4 Spyders for my gear

Post by JD Spydo »

If I was a firefighter I would sure have the Assist model with the glassbreaker>> that would be standard equipment for me.

I would also have a stainless handled Rescue model. The Stainless Rescue model was available in the larger C-14 model and the somewhat smaller Rescue model C-45. The Stainless handled Rescue is built like an Army Tank and could sustain just about any punishment you could throw at it.

I would also have one of the Spyderco Hawkbills. Being I have no experience at the art/skill of firefighting I can't really say which Hawkbill would be best suited.

I would have at least 3 to 4 premium Spyder models for my gear if I was in that trade.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
racerx454

Re: What Spyderco do Fire-Fighters prefer?

Post by racerx454 »

Old post, but still relevant.

I'm a firefighter and have carried a Spyderco Assist in my bunker gear for years now. My teammates liked it enough that three of them have also purchased Assists for carry in their bunker gear. The blade shape and size works well, as does the glove-compatible Spydie hole. The H1 steel, as others have mentioned, allows me to leave it in my bunker gear, despite getting wet. I have used the carbide tip for window removal during extrication. I like it more than the Benchmade ERT-1 Rescue tool, which I carried for years. I attached a long lanyard to my Assist so that I can pull the knife from my bunker pock in the dark, with bunker gloves. I also had it engraved so that if/when I drop it at a scene it will stand a better chance of being returned. I have not yet used the whistle, but think it is a good feature to have.

I'd like to commend Spyderco for the OpFocus program. Many of my fellow firefighters own Spydercos now because of that program and, as such, are better equipped to do their job. I won't even mention what they WERE previously carrying... Thank you Sal and team!

-Kevin-
Attachments
Spyderco_Assist_small.jpg
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

I used an Assist when I completed my Fire I&II training. Never got hired and moved on after a few years. But, most of the Firefighters that were running our classes had all random sets of folders. A few of them even said they do not carry knives or multi tools and just grab "the rookies" tools because any folder or multi tool gets the snot beat out of it. That is my only experiences. In my training, the only time I used the assist at all was using the glass breaker when we had a chance to demo cars at a junk yard.

It is a good tool to have, but FF's have most ever angle covered with other tools. But the Assist, H1, would be my preferred knife for the job - hands down.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Welcome to the forum racerx.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, Kevin:
Welcome to the Spyderco.com Forum. We hope you enjoy your time with us. Thank you, for your very kind words and for taking the time to give us feedback. We're honored to be able to do what we do and we appreciate your service! Stay safe!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Racerx,

Welcome to our forum.

sal