Help me choose forum.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
unseenone

Help me choose forum.

Post by unseenone »

I've been wanting to pull the trigger on another spydie but hate to choose one because I want them all... As of now the choices are either manix 2, caly 3.5, or sage 1.. Help me choose forum by telling me which one I should buy and why? Thanks to all.

:spyder: Native, persistence, ukpk
angusW

Post by angusW »

Just save time and shipping expense and get all three :)

What are you using your knives for? Do you mind carrying a larger knife? Have you handled any of the above three and if not is there a knife store near you to try them out or a friend who has any of those? I have my reasons why I carry a Manix 2 more often than my Sage 1 but you may not agree. I also find my choices for knives change over time. The Sage 1 was one of my first Spyderco's and I never really liked it but just yesterday I was trying out a bunch of my knives and found I rather enjoyed the Sage 1. I haven't carried it in two years but it's in my pocket right now. A couple friends/colleagues have asked me what knives they should get. I don't tell them, I let them hold the knife so they can decide on their own.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
bh49

Post by bh49 »

angusW wrote:Just save time and shipping expense and get all three :) .
Don't. Do not buy all three at once. If you buy them separate, the shipping will cost you about $15 more (but you can get them from dealers with free shipping as well) and "new knife high" will last three times longer :) :D
Out of three you mentioned I would take Caly3.5 any day, any time. IMHO Caly3/3.5 are among the best production EDCs ever produced. All three knives have fantastic ergos, but Manix2 takes too much room in the pocket also I prefer full flat grind. Caly3.5 and Sage are compatible in pocket space, but Caly3.5 has a blade 1/2" inch longer plus a thinner grind, which would make it slice better. Also I found Caly family more esthetically pleasing, but this is subjective.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
chukar8

Post by chukar8 »

The Manix is rock solid IMO. And I like the jimping also.
kbrouwer

Post by kbrouwer »

If you want ONE go with the Manix 2. Make sure you get the improved one with CPMS30V
:spyder: :spyder: Kirk Brouwer :spyder: :spyder:
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Difficult choice I would say, all are great knives. For me it would be between the Caly 3.5 and the Sage 1. The Caly is very nice EDC knife with a nice 3.5 blade, like BH said. But on the other hand I like the Walker liner lock over the midlock on the Caly. A liner lock Caly had been perfect :) But with the existing knives I would go for the Caly 3.5
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Going with what you have already, I would get the manix. It's a bigger knife than the ones you have.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Manix.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
Holland

Post by Holland »

id go with the caly, great folder for edc. i had a manix but i sold it because i prefer ffg blades
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
unseenone

Post by unseenone »

Just to let you know forum I will be getting a FFG blade of any of these 3. It seems that the caly 3.5 is winning so far. I'll check this post often and keep score. Thanks to all.

:spyder: Native, Persistence, Ukpk
Thinking about: Manix2, Caly3.5, Sage1
clunk

Post by clunk »

I have a Caly 3.5 in carbon fiber with ZDP, and I've carried it every day for a few months now. I'd say go for the Caly 3.5 because it's a great EDC and feels really good in hand. When you get it in hand, you'll notice that the blade length is almost that of an Endura4 but is less bulky. Plus the wire clip makes it a pocket ghost so people don't know you're carrying a blade.

+1 for Caly 3.5
angusW

Post by angusW »

bh49 wrote:Don't. Do not buy all three at once. If you buy them separate, the shipping will cost you about $15 more (but you can get them from dealers with free shipping as well) and "new knife high" will last three times longer :) :D
Agreed that getting more than one knife at once does not allow as much alone time with just one knife :) Spreading out the purchases is the way to go.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
unseenone

Post by unseenone »

Hey AngusW,

I did like you said and went down to the local knife store and handle all three knives. The Caly 3.5 was light and thin with a good edge and it looks just like my UKPK. Based on looks I couldn't help wondering if I was going to snap that blade. The Sage 1 felt awesome and looked good in my hand just like the Caly 3.5 but with a shorter blade. What can i say, I love liner locks for one handed operation. The Manix 2 was a handsome knife itself and the XL was a beast. The locking system wasn't to bad and it was new to me. I've read about it and was different once I had it in my hand trying it out. I might try out the Manix 2 with CTS-BD30P. Does anybody in the forum have anything to add, please feel free to respond.

Thanks again.
Comeuppance

Post by Comeuppance »

I have a Manix2 and a Manix2 XL, both in S30V, and they're fantastic. Big chunky user knives, just waiting to wreck something. After a lot of use, both knives still have rock-solid lockup, they're stupid easy to sharpen back to a fine edge (thanks to S30V's grain structure), and they're very comfortable in hand.

Basically, if you want something light, go with a Caly. If you want something big, go with a Manix. You could halve the difference and get the new lightweight manix. If price isn't as much of an issue, get the ZDP-189 Caly 3.5.
Retail warrior and hand-sharpener with a perpetually shaved left arm.
My modest collection: Digicam Black PM2, Endura4 Wave, Manix2 XL, Black Tenacious