Re-issue the Bushcraft Blank?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
phillipsted

Re-issue the Bushcraft Blank?

Post by phillipsted »

Sal - I'd really like to build a Bushcraft blade for myself, and unfortunately I missed the original issue of the O1 Bushcraft Blanks. They very rarely come up for sale any more.

I've tinkered with a Fallkniven bushcraft blank, but it isn't the same as a Spydie! :cool:

Would you consider taking a small number of Bushcraft blades out of the production runs and offering them as Blanks through SFO? Just curious.

TedP
rycen

Post by rycen »

We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
Holland

Post by Holland »

-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I missed that other BF thread over the holidays! Thanks, rycen.

It may be a limited market, but it wouldn't cost Spyderco a lot to keep a few Bushcraft blanks at the SFO for aficionados, would it?...

TedP
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

I agree with the BF post that there is a small market. Production Skandi ground full tang blanks are made by very few makers (Enzo and Mora).
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
angusW

Post by angusW »

I kick myself for not getting in on the blanks when they were available. I would love to try putting a handle on a Bushcraft.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

I'm in the same boat. I missed out on the Bushcraft blanks too. I was able to get a Woodcraft blank before they were gone though.
:spyder:
Dan
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Call me a nob sorry noob :D but what is the difference between the bushcraft blank and woodcraft blank I got one recently in s30v are they one and the same just in different steel ?
And if they are hold out Ted I'm in the uk which makes rare spydies even harder to get no eBay , and mine was bnib cheaper than original , or is it the 01 you must have ? .
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I would get one!
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Bladekeeper wrote:Call me a nob sorry noob :D but what is the difference between the bushcraft blank and woodcraft blank I got one recently in s30v are they one and the same just in different steel ?
And if they are hold out Ted I'm in the uk which makes rare spydies even harder to get no eBay , and mine was bnib cheaper than original , or is it the 01 you must have ? .
They are different. Not only is the steel different, but so is the handle shape and blade grind.

Bushcraft blank - http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=471

Woodcraft blank - http://spydercosource.com/2010/08/spyde ... raft-fb27/
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

Pockets wrote:I agree with the BF post that there is a small market. Production Skandi ground full tang blanks are made by very few makers (Enzo and Mora).
I don't think Mora's are full tang, only partial. :confused:

But there also is the Bark River Knive's - Bushcrafter in CPM-3V at around $225
And the Dan Koster Knives - Bushcraft in CPM-3V for around $230
Blind Horse Knives makes a Bushcraft in O-1 for around $140

These might be considered customs even though they can be readily found for purchase.
(And since they are customs maybe just the blanks could be purchased:confused :)

If you like Survivorman, Helle makes a knife endorsed by Les Stroud called the Temagami for around $160 (it's not full tang construction though.)

That was a little off the main topic, but I wouldn't mind seeing future Spyderco Bushcraft blanks reintroduced. G-10 is great and extremely resistant to the elements, stable, and tough. Drawbacks are that G-10 is heavy, cold to the touch (when cold) and slippery when wet (because they're polished.)
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Kosters knives are excellent, especially in 3V.

Blind horse knives are not only a great deal but they really wring some performance out of that O-1. I really like mine and trust it for things like wood carving hardwoods, etc. . Great stuff!

BRK has people who love them, and some who hate them. Me? I have always felt I got what I paid for. Some edges are pretty thin and make me cringe but I have no bad experiences personally. They also ground the Survive GSO-6 I bought by the start up company. Wickedly sharp. It didn't take long to cut me but I'd hesitate to use it really hard until I thickened it up a bit on the edge. The overall quality seems excellent.

Overall I like my Spyderco the best. Shape, size, heat treat@ final hardness, and of course the ergonomics. It's great to actually use. Not just look good. I have a wood model that was gifted to me, and I was fortunate enough to get a blank. It ( the extra blank) still sits unused in the box with a coat of Renn wax looking as good as it came to me. I love it. :)

I'd like to try a Cruwear model at about rc 62 but to be honest the mule team cruwear does fine for me. It's amazing stuff. I know I repeat that enough to sound like a parrot but it's true

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Fallkniven also sells some of its full-tang blades without scales. I'm a big fan of the F1 - it isn't as good as the Bushcraft (or the Temp2) for ourdoor use, but it is a good form factor nonetheless. Unfortunately, they are made from a laminated VG-10 and J2 steel - O1, it isn't...

TedP