Pacific Salt knives for diving and fishing?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Pacific Salt knives for diving and fishing?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

When it comes to the Pacific Salt, both plain-edge and Spyder-Edge, would you all recommend these for both diving uses, as well as deep sea/salt water fishing? Would the Pacific Salt do well when processing large fish such as tuna, shark, swordfish, and the like, or would you stick with fillet and similiar type fixed blades?
Tank

Post by Tank »

I'm not a fisherman but I am a diver. I prefer a fixed blade dive knife..where I live its cold water so the gloves I wear make it difficult to open a folder.
-John
fuzzydog

Post by fuzzydog »

[ATTACH]21208[/ATTACH]

I love my Pac Salt.....it is a well suited knife for all-round use in saltwater, have cleaned fish with it but a fillet knife will do a much better job if you have a lot to clean.

I take mine when I travel to hunt or fish and it lives in my boat bag....
Attachments
pacsalt.JPG
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

You'd have to clean fish bits out of the locking mechanism...
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

I highly recommend the Pac Salt and the Salt I. For recreational use I don't think I'd have anything else on me. With over 100 dives, all of which were recreational, I haven't needed a knife yet while under water. I knew the Salt in my pocket could get me out of most situations and that gave me comfort. However, back on the boat I have needed the Pac to do things like cut zip ties and line. If I thought I was going to need a knife while underwater , then I too would go with a fixed blade.

As for fishing, I think the Pac makes a great personal knife, one to use on routine chores on a boat like opening Squid, cutting bait, trimming a line, making a sandwich etc. It could also be used to fillet, but I have a dedicated fillet knife I use. It's longer and flexible. For occasional use, a Pac could work for both. In reality I think you probably need both. A fillet knife does not normally make a good chore knife and vice versa. Especially a fillet knife needed for larger fish.

Based on your question, I am assuming you spend time on the water. If that is the case, I don't think you would be disappointed in the Pac Salt. You might look at the Catcherman if you are looking for a fillet knife. Good luck with your hunt.
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stewart Mill
Spyder-fan

Post by Spyder-fan »

I have the Pacific Salt. I was curious if the locking mechanism is made out of H1 Steel like the blade?
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:When it comes to the Pacific Salt, both plain-edge and Spyder-Edge, would you all recommend these for both diving uses, as well as deep sea/salt water fishing? Would the Pacific Salt do well when processing large fish such as tuna, shark, swordfish, and the like, or would you stick with fillet and similiar type fixed blades?
aloha and yes...I tested the PE Pacific a few years back...try searching for the review here. I always had a FB as a primary and a folder for a back up, or vice versa. However, during the review I did of the Pacific PE, it was the only knife I had...

Be safe! :cool:
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
Holland

Post by Holland »

i dont know about diving, but for cleaning fish, i would stick to a fillet knife
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

The entire knife is rustproof, including the locking mechanism.
Spyder-fan

Post by Spyder-fan »

Thanks for clearing that up Pockets. I assumed it was but wanted to confirm since I had heard otherwise from someone on another forum.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

You can never go wrong with the Pacific Salt. While diving without a wetsuit I just keep it right in my board shorts pocket. For cleaning fish it really depends how big the fish is. It can be done but I just prefer a fixed blade for doing it anyways, not to mention the blade is a little thick for filleting. For an all around salt water knife though you can't find a better companion.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I recommend it for an occasional dive, which is what you've described.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Here's an old picture that I just posted again on bladeforums earlier today... I have since sold this one and regret it but have a new Pacific to replace it, of course.
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Freediver wrote:Here's an old picture that I just posted again on bladeforums earlier today... I have since sold this one and regret it but have a new Pacific to replace it, of course.
aloha Freediver,

NICE pic...my Pacific was a 1st Gen...

Dive safe!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
thelastbestplace

Post by thelastbestplace »

I would stick with a fixed blade for processing fish.

I've been using my Pacific Salt quite a bit over the past few years (at least). I'm an avid sea kayaker. Even when I swim in the ocean, I don't take it off. I do get an occasional bit sand in the mechanism but it seems to shrug it off. I consider it an "Ocean EDC" but not a knife I would use when doing heavy duty cutting.

Basically, I love mine. Everytime I get in the ocean with it on, I just shake my head that I can swim with a folder. Can't get over that. :)

Zero rust anywhere on the knife and VERY durable, in some pretty tough environments.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I know of a canadian site with some Aqua Salts sitting around. I just ordered one for myself for my birthday. Either the Pacific or the Aqua make great dive knives.

Also:
Holy Cow! Welcome back Daywalker!!! Long time no see! I can't wait for the Lava sprint. Your design was inspirational to me and my design currently being prototyped. Great to see you back on here.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

I've seen the Aqua Salts on that site, but can't quite justify the purchase :(
salmonkiller

Post by salmonkiller »

Saltwater fisherman here ! I have been using the Pacific Salt on my boat for the past 7 years.I saltwater fish for Salmon, Halibut, stripers, Rockfish,sturgeon, and tuna.I prefer a filet knife with a longer blade to clean the fish as I prefer the blade to able to bend when cleaning fish.The H1 series is great for cutting bait and line and other items on board.I always wash all my tools with soap and water and rinse well after each trip.I have never had any rust on anything made from H1,but I take care of my tools.I sharpen before every trip and the H1 sharpens up fast and easy for me.Pacific Salt has done me well. Ok now I want to go fishing this weekend!
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

DAYWALKER wrote:aloha Freediver,

NICE pic...my Pacific was a 1st Gen...

Dive safe!
Thanks Chad! PS I can't wait for the blue lava sprint.
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Freediver wrote:Thanks Chad! PS I can't wait for the blue lava sprint.
Yo Freediver...sorry to hijack this thread but...did I read that right? :eek: