How do you decide on a new knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mahmer09

How do you decide on a new knife?

Post by Mahmer09 »

I have just recently started collecting knives. I thought I would get a real light weight EDC and got a delica 4. I wanted a smoother upgrade and got a Sage I. I wanted something a little beefer and got a Manix 2. I have a PM2 under the tree and currently covet a Military. At that point I should be good right? I have it all covered. But something tells me I will just hit the repeat button? How do you fill out your collection? Need? Lock type? Blade size? Does it ever end? Am I in trouble?
Mahmer09

Post by Mahmer09 »

Plus why do my friends and wife say they all look the same? And why do they ask why I need more than one knife? Lol
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I shop catagorically. It helps to justify a need when one does not really exist :p

"I'm low on 3 inch bladed gents folders!"
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I don't pick the knife, the knife calls to me. ;)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Blerv wrote:I shop catagorically. It helps to justify a need when one does not really exist :p

"I'm low on 3 inch bladed gents folders!"
That's funny Blake, I am always low on sub 5 inch folders and sub 18 inch fixed blades. Unfortunately, they all seem to speak to me some days.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I don't pick the knife, the knife calls to me. ;)
That's how I work.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I shop based on bank and/or credit card balance...
On the hunt for...
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I don't pick the knife, the knife calls to me. ;)
DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I shop based on bank and/or credit card balance...
Yep, kinda hard to hear the call when there's no money in the bank. :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It usually starts with a simple impulse based on liking a design. After that I decide if I really need it and whether it's something I'll actually use or if I'm just infatuated. Then I try to get a chance to handle it if I can before buying. Sometimes all that happens at one time at the knife shop when I come across a new knife. I've bought a couple based off hype alone with varying success.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

When I feel I'd like something and have the money.

The Stretch was because I wanted a good-sized EDC and had some xmas money last year. The D'fly was when I wanted something a bit smaller to go along. Next up: Delica, I think. Want something to trade off with the Stretch. We'll see how the checking account sits after the holiday hubub.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

You don't choose them, they choose you.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BAL

Post by BAL »

It never ends my friend, never.

You can check out any time you like,
but you can never leave.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Lately, my parameters for purchasing new Spyderco releases have been that it must have a midlock, 50/50 choil, and a stainless steel blade not over 3mm thick. As far as older models go, it's reached the point where the only things I'm really hunting are versions of the Q and Spyderkey that I don't already have.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I don't collect knives. I get knives that I will (or hope) to use. I have bought 30 or so in the past 5 or 6 years but only in search of knives to use that I really like. So, I figure what I want to use, get one or two, try then keep, sell or trade. I've been doing that and now have a set of 6 or 7 knives that I use depending on what I'm going to be doing. Working in yard or on carpentry project = Sage4 or Gayle Bradley (along with a beater of course). If I'm going somewhere fancy and dress up (Wal Mart :) ) I'll carry the Chaparral. I just got a Dragonfly2 to have a smaller knife like the Chaparral that I won't mind laying on the ground or loaning to a friend as much as the Chaparral. Also have a couple of Manbugs that I always have one in a pocket or in a kydex sheath on a cord around my neck.

So, using the knives is how I decide. Collecting however is a completely different deal. Sounds like you are fully covered. Well, except for the smaller knife category. Spyderco's little guys are very well built and sturdy IMO. They cut and perform far better than I would think a knife that size would.
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

My friend, you are in deep doo-doo, trust me. I started a year and a half ago, and it does not stop. Sounds like you're diving in even faster and deeper than i did.

There are a lot of knives I like, but I try to spend money on models I can actually use. I am lusting after the Southard Flipper, for example, but I really have no use for it---it's too beefy for me to edc and I'm not using a $200 plus knife in the yard---and therefore I can't justify the expense.

So those are my two categories: practical EDC, which means it has be pretty discrete, and a work-around-the-house/yard knife, which can go a little bigger.

Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Living on the other side of the world from you lot, well most of you anyway, I first see a photo, then something clicks.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

KardinalSyn wrote:Living on the other side of the world from you lot, well most of you anyway, I first see a photo, then something clicks.
Sri Lanka? Wow, I never noticed that before. KardinalSyn, you are one exotic dude! :rolleyes:

Tod

P.S. Any chance of snow for Christmas where you are?
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
Holland

Post by Holland »

No collection is complete without a dragonfly 2! love that little knife
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Uke

Post by Uke »

Once a knife gets its hooks in me I seem to have little choice! I occasionally try to limit myself to a specific category...say slipjoints as I can use them more often (living in the UK) but then I find myself later that day frantically jabbing the 'BUY' button on a 3.5 inch locking folder I've fallen in love with! :D
pdptrow

Post by pdptrow »

Mahmer09,
Looks like you hit all the Spyderco bread and butter or tried and true pick knives, what about the Salts, ethnic series, collaborations, ec., welcome, they are all good.
Like pringles, bet you can't get just one. :D
Paul
:spyder: Sage1, Stretch II CE-sold, S35VN Mule,Manix 2 CTS-XHP, Delica BRG ZDP-189 PE, Manix 2 CPM M4, Para 2 CTS-20CP :), M390 Mule, #Southard Flipper, Left Hand Millie, Para 2 204P :D, Delica Super blue
It is a mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle