Classic Spyderco Spotlight: C48 Tim Wegner

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mr Blonde

Classic Spyderco Spotlight: C48 Tim Wegner

Post by Mr Blonde »

After photographing my new Caly 3 damascus/cf sprint with my vintage Calypso Jr. knives, I decided to carry those old spydies to see what they were like today. This is in turn, inspired me to take a new look at some other vintage spydies in my collection. How would they stack up to today’s spydies? Last weekend, I dusted off my old large C48 Tim Wegner.

I think I got this knife back in 2001 or so. The Wegner was quite popular on the forums back then and the custom versions made by Phil Boguszewski were selling really well. I even read that this Wegner design was the ‘official’ tactical folder of the Gunsite institute. I was still into ‘tactical folders’ back then. Needless to say, I was sold and had to have one.

The Wegner didn’t turn out to be one of my favorite folders and I never carried it much. The handle design didn’t work for me, I disliked the knife’s weight and the opening hole was too small for me. I did like the curved blade and handle design. I even got the Ocelot later on which solved most of my ‘problems’ with the C48.

After cleaning and oiling the large Wegner, I found that the knife still works great. The action is smooth and lock-up is still excellent. The Wegner rode in my pocket all weekend and did all the cutting chores I could find.

The C48’s curved hollow ground blade is a great slicer for most small kitchen chores. It cut up onions, peppers, meat and potatoes like a champ. I could even get a little ‘rocking’ action with that curved blade. The Wegner’s blade is pretty thick all the way to the tip. Especially when you compare it to a full flat ground slicer like the Military, but in practical use this didn’t bother me. The hollow grind is very well done. The thick blade and tip inspired enough confidence to subject the blade to some twisting and turning when I had to ‘dismantle’ thick plastic packaging materials. It didn’t affect lockup or cause blade play. After three days of cutting paper, envelopes, fruit, meat, veggies, cardboard, plastic packaging etc… the knife got a little dull. There was still a good working edge, but the Wegner definitely couldn’t shave anymore. Sharpening was easy on the 40 degree setting of the Sharpmaker; one advantage of a ‘medium performance’ steel like ATS-34 (years ago ATS-34 was considered a high performance stainless though).

I found that the weight of the large Wegner didn’t bother me as much this time. In the years since the Wegner came out, I must have gotten used to carrying heavier spydies like the Chinook, Manix, PPT and the Lionspy. The texture of the G10 is really smooth. Back then, Spyderco didn’t use that extra glass-filled G10 they use now. It almost seems as smooth as non-patterned FRN.

The small opening hole still bothered me a bit, especially for a folder in this size. I had a few instances where I wanted to draw and open the knife and ‘misfired’. The grip still doesn’t quite match with my hand. I have the same problem with the Endura, that knife too doesn’t ‘click’ with my hand. I still don’t quite understand the full steel spacer. It adds lots of weight and I don’t quite get the functional need for this spacer in an otherwise refined design.

I realize that a future sprint run is extremely unlikely, as Wegner/Bladetech has launched its own line of production knives. The large “C48 design” is still prominent in their catalog. I love what they did with the design. To refine the C48, I too would suggest an ambidextrous lock, 4-way clip option and less weight. Oh wait; did I just describe a Stretch 2? The Stretch is very similar to the Wegner, but with better ergos, less weight and you can even get one in ZDP-189. The blade and tip won’t be as thick as on the Wegner though. I definitely recommend getting at least one folder with a sturdy tip in your ‘arsenal’. Spyderco makes some excellent folders in this category; the Techno and Lionspy come to mind. Those blades are probably even sturdier than the blade on the C48, while offering the same or better cutting performance.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
J D Wijbenga

Post by J D Wijbenga »

informative review Wouter! I remember handling this knife when it was on the marked and it did not fit my hands very well either. Does look nice though, and I like the blade shape.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Very nice review and pics, Wouter. I really like my large Wegner. It fits the hand any way you hold it. I sharpened the hole on mine, and that helped a lot with the smallness - they were way too slippery in the old days. Yes, that G10 is quite slippery. I wish a sprint or update was possible. One of Spyderco's best. Mine would be: high flat grind, skeletonized liners, back lock, tip up-left or right clip, VG10 or something else cool, and a larger hole.

- best wishes, Jazz.
JLS

Post by JLS »

Mr Blonde wrote:The handle design didn’t work for me, I disliked the knife’s weight and the opening hole was too small for me. I did like the curved blade and handle design.
That about sums up my memory of the Wenger as well. I've had two of the full size and one of the C49 Wenger Jr's and they were way too heavy for what they offered and the holes were too small for me personally. It probably didn't help that I had a Military and Calypso Jr in the same time frame and they just fit my needs so much better than the Wengers with a whole lot less weight in both cases.

I do still like the blade shape, but my preference there is filled by the Stretch as well. They were, and still are, wonderful knives, but different strokes and all that...
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
msierant

Post by msierant »

hello mr blond,
that wegner of yours has always been one of my all time favorites. fits the hand great, nice weight, solid lock-up and the right length for me. honestly a tough call between that and my military's. i do like the tip-down carry option that it lacks. otherwise a winner. that's a nice example you have there. don't see many even at the shows. best regards.
mike
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

JLS wrote:...It probably didn't help that I had a Military and Calypso Jr in the same time frame and they just fit my needs so much better than the Wengers with a whole lot less weight in both cases...
That is a bit eerie, I had the exact same knives and feelings at the time too! I'm still curious why the design team chose for that full steel spacer.
I hang on to the Wegner for sentimental reasons.
tobii3

Post by tobii3 »

Carried mine in Saudi and Iraq back in '98-'99. Absolutely loved everything about it.
JD Spydo

C-48 WEGNER >> A super classic

Post by JD Spydo »

The C-48 Wegner model is one of a unique group. Not only is it out of the Golden Era Of Spyders (1998 to 2003) but it's also out of a very small group of Spyders that was made with ATS-34 blade steel. In the Collector Corner those are getting harder to find each passing day.

The Wegner is a great Hunter/Folder and just a great design all the way around. There was also a little brother and that was the model C-49 Wegner Junior which was the same design but on a smaller scale.

There is something very special about these older Spyders.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Manix Guy 2

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

Hi Wouter ! Glad to see a reiew of this type , please keep it up ! The Wenger was a hunting folder I wanted but was a righty liner so passed on a nice design . I had the Ocelot for awhile loved the design but never cared for the paw cut outs so sold it to a happy buyer . The Stretch II finally met my needs . Regards MG2
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Manix Guy 2 wrote:Hi Wouter ! Glad to see a reiew of this type , please keep it up ! The Wenger was a hunting folder I wanted but was a righty liner so passed on a nice design . I had the Ocelot for awhile loved the design but never cared for the paw cut outs so sold it to a happy buyer . The Stretch II finally met my needs . Regards MG2
If they would revamp the OCELOT like you say Manix Guy and get rid of the "paw print punch outs" which was extremely detrimental to that knife in my opinion for what it's intended uses were for. Every guy I know that had one of those Ocelots love it but they all said that you couldn't get that knife not to be stinking something horrible after field dressing an animal or fish with it>> because of those "paw print punch out cavities" they would trap all of the blood and guts of the animals and fish that you were cleaning. There was just no way to keep that knife sanitary short of running it through an automatic dishwasher which I would never do to any knife period for obvious reasons. I know paw print cavities made the knife have a unique and curious look to it but it did nothing but annoy and agravate it's owners>> that's the main reason I got rid of both of mine ( PE & CE) and went to the Impala model.

If they would reintroduce the OCELOT with either a completely solid polished Micarta handle similar to the Streetbeat or an upscale solid G-10 handle that knife would go like gangbusters to the outdoor hunting and fishing crowd.

All 3 of those Wegner designed Spyders were great blades. It would be a Sprint run that would sell out in less than 2 weeks if done right IMO.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

I have been looking for this jewel for a long time,maybe some day.Nice review Mr Blonde,and thanks for the nice flashback.
Holland

Post by Holland »

nice pictures, wish i got in the game sooner
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Wouter, thanks for the terrific pictures and excellent review. The C48 still remains one of my all-time favorite “yester-year” Spyderco models. (Oh, if only I had a chance to re-live the mid-90’s through mid-2000’s…how different my collection would be!). It turns out that I liked the C48 so well that I actually went out and purchased the diminutive Wegner Mouse model too. Great knives!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

Thanks, as always Wouter, for your insights. I've always wanted a C49, the smaller version of the Wegner, but just haven't been able to find one. One time I thought I snagged one on eBay but the seller sent me the larger version thinking he had the junior. Oh well...One of these days I think a C49 will be my hiking/outdoor folder of choice, but right now that role is filled by the G-10 Delica, the Caly Jr., and the Para 1, all of which function superbly.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Thanks guys, I had a lot of fun to put aside the new stuff for a little while, and revisit a spydie from 'yester-year'.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I want one! Have for a very long time, it was in my list of wants in my signature for ages.

I think that it is one of the best looking spydercos and there will be a day I can find and buy one! I love the blade shape, and the handle as long as it is large enough for my hand, looks comfortable to me. Maybe it won't be...but I'm willing to take that chance, and I love the steel back spacer.
On the hunt for...
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

Great pics! I remember passing on this one because it wasn't tactical enough in appearance! :D
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I agree about the Ocelot. Very nice knife but... those prints, and the blade was too thick - maybe a FFG?

- best wishes, Jazz.
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

I did not buy one of these back when they were readily available. A bit later I ran across one in a shop for some astronomical amount $$, and once again passed, but it was one of the smoothest knives I have opened. I finally snuck up on one on the 'bay a little while back and really like it. I pull it out and use it from time to time. Great knife. Shown here with my EDC E4 G-10

Attachments
Wegner 013 (Medium).jpg
Wegner 005 (Medium).jpg
Wegner 008 (Medium).jpg
Wegner 011 (Medium).jpg
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I am not really bothered by some heft in a knife, and I love the big solid steel backspacer. Looks like this size and mass it would make a good impact if I needed to bang on something. And that size shown above the E4 makes it look like a real hulk of a knife. Will have to keep my eyes peeled when I have the $$$ handy.Thanks all for your input and Wouter for initial post and pics!
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!