Self-Defense Carry for Smaller Women

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

Self-Defense Carry for Smaller Women

Post by kennethsime »

Hi everyone,

Have successfully convinced the GF to carry pepper spray and cell phone on runs etc. Next step: a knife!

She likes the looks of (and idea behind) the Matriarch & Lil Matriarch, and am planning on getting her the latter (my stretch is much too big by her standards, the dragonfly is ok), she says she'll try a delica-sized knife.

Is there anything else I should be looking at? Would she be better off with a plain FFG Delica (def wins the lightweight contest)?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

The Lil Matriarch has the same size handle as the Delica. Actually when the first pictures of the Lil Matriarch came out everyone was pointing out the handle was a Delica.
C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

A Tasman or Lil Matriarch would be a nice sidearm for your lady. That said, anyone who chooses this path should have the "kill or be killed" mindset. You can't set a knife to stun.

C2 Taser, Fox Pepper Spray, Muay Thai classes...all better options for most folks as primary defense methods. That said, at 2ish ounces it never hurts having a knife on you.
spyderedge

Post by spyderedge »

PERSIAN!
lol jk

Had to say it...
My :spyder: Endura 4 FFG Plain, Black in VG-10 had been my faithful EDC companion since 9/26/2012
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

kennethsime wrote:Is there anything else I should be looking at?
If she likes fittness & running then looking at martial arts training may be wise. First learn how to use & keep a hold on the weapon.
Couple that with situational awareness & company while running together in a safe place then a knife may not even be needed if she is uncomfortable with one.
It is one thing to carry a knife & quite another to drive it into the rib cage of an attacker.
O.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Lil Matriarch was the first thing that came to mind.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

O,just,O wrote:If she likes fittness & running then looking at martial arts training may be wise. First learn how to use & keep a hold on the weapon.
Couple that with situational awareness & company while running together in a safe place then a knife may not even be needed if she is uncomfortable with one.
It is one thing to carry a knife & quite another to drive it into the rib cage of an attacker.
O.
I think these are obviously the most important points made so far. I don't mean to give the impression of thinking "knife = safety" by any means, and both of us know there are many other factors at play.

Thanks for the advise, I think I'll be going with the Lil Matriarch. Just wish it was an FFG.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Size isn't that important. I've told this story a bunch of times here but i'll tell it again because it's awesome.

I'm at the local knife shop, hanging out talking with the owner, fondling random Spydies. There's a few regulars in there and we're all BS'ing. In walks this 20something girl, looking about as out of place as i would walking into Victoria's Secret. She eventually makes her way to the Spyderco counter where i'm standing and is sort of listening in on our conversation. This was back when the Para 2 was just out and hard to find (which seemed to have never really changed). I asked the owner if he had gotten any in and she butts in and says "no they're on back order from Spyderco, you should buy one of these in the meantime" and pulls out a Military from her purse and snaps that thing open as well as any dude would have. We fell in love and have 5 kids.

Ok so that last sentence is BS but the rest was all true lol. The important thing is that a person trains with and is comfortable using a knife, regardless of the size. This girl was maybe 120lbs and 5' 5'' or so.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ed Schempp

Post by Ed Schempp »

I met quite a few ladies in martial arts-self defense classes that worked in dialysis. I designed the balance as a high concealable light weight knife that could be deployed for self defense. He knife has a very secure grip for retention. Check out Albo Kali Silat website for small knife techniques...Take Care...Ed
arjay18

Post by arjay18 »

Get her some training first and then a weapon. You wouldn't want to give the perp another weapon do you?
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

As a former women's self defense instructor, I can only suggest you get her training and then a knife, or you're just buying her attacker a weapon. Also, if you can find a SPOT, they're probably the best thing for what you're looking for. Unless she's got built forearms, you want something like a Swick that can't be stripped from her hand or knocked free easily.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Donut

Post by Donut »

I think the Delica will be a slightly better fit for self defense than the Lil Matriarch and it will take up less pocket space.

I agree with the training, that is a must.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
BAL

Post by BAL »

ok, I know that getting self defense training is a GREAT idea.
However, if the choice is
1. No knife, waiting for self defense training
2. Knife, No self defense training at this point in time.

Go for No. 2

I am not in any way putting down the importance of training. I have showed the
wife and boy what to do in different situations and we shoot regularly. However,
situations that happen don't wait for a training class to begin or to fit into your
busy schedule.

Just because a person doesn't have a defense training certificate on the wall,
doesn't mean that they can't pull that knife out of their purse (or pocket) and
cut the arm of the SOB that is trying to steal their purse or worse.

You don't have to use your self defense tool, but you have it if you need it.
thelock

Post by thelock »

I would not suggest the S shaped blade, those are for people who have a certain amount of special training in my opinion. I would say, the Lava if you can find one and the balance is a nice knife as well, I am looking to pick one up, but I just heard that spyderco is coming up with a bigger version, so I will wait a little longer.
:spyder: Paramilitary 2
:spyder: Bob Lum Tanto Sprint
:spyder: Anso Zulu
:spyder: Szabo Folder
:spyder: Delica ZDP-189
:spyder: SS Kiwi
:spyder: SS Bug set
APS

Post by APS »

You can get a Delica trainer to go along with your Delica. Probably a great idea to practice consistent "deployment" of the knife with the trainer, particularly for someone who hasn't been playing with Spydies for years like us. After 20 years with Spydercos I still flub a presentation occasionally.
Adam
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The reverse s is designed to cut like crazy and not snag. Doc's tests show the original Matriarch to be extremely impressive as well as the Merlin (the previous Tasman). You get amazing ballistic performance due to the geometry very much like a wharnie. I would expect it to outshine the similar Delica or Endura models.

2" defense blades are fighting mechanics from day 1. Best case you are fighting to surpass the 2" penetration/slash depth while a 3"+ blade can more easily reach vitals. I have a Wharnie Lava and still think a Delica would out perform it ballistics wise. A Tasman would destroy it and a Yojimbo2...scary.

Weapon and technique take a back seat to tenacity. If you have all three and a somewhat fair fight the odds are in your favor. Since that's now how most predator/prey relationships tend to work I would stack as many odds in her favor as possible.

No offense to anyone here but often women's defense is taught from an unrealistic perspective. Just for example and I'm NOT the epitome of male perfection ( :p ) I am 7" taller, 70 pounds heavier, and likely twice or three times stronger (upper body) than my wife. That doesn't take into account limb reach either. The would be like me defending myself from an agitated preemptive attacking 6'7", 300 pound, 500lbs benchpressing monster. Also, with 10 times my testosterone and the pain threshold of a gorilla.

Avoidance, tools, training, tenacity, luck. That's the formula. Luckily random attacks are quite statistically rare.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Blerv wrote:Avoidance, tools, training, tenacity, luck. That's the formula. Luckily random attacks are quite statistically rare.
And RUN like the wind. Knives are for when you're backed into a corner, if at all possible you should flee. Especially if you're female. I'm not the guy you want to go toe to toe with but unless I've got the family in tow I will flee rather than stand my ground and roll the dice on a knife fight.

But as to the specific situation... if I wanted to assault a female jogger I'd just pop out from some brush and hit her from behind. I think that's pretty common and it's hard to defend against short of a jogging partner.
All God's critters have knives.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Exactly. Avoiding/escaping something is the best way to minimize risk.

The people who are willing to attack in broad daylight amongst witnesses are few and far between. There are plenty of safe places to jog at any time of the day/night. The worst attack I have ever heard occurred in Central Park at about 3am; it was a lady's fitness routine. I wouldn't jog through Central Park at 3am with an Uzi.
thelock

Post by thelock »

Blerv wrote:The reverse s is designed to cut like crazy and not snag.

Sooner or later I will get the Civillian and I want to test it, fast slashes on a thick old leather jacket, everything on video, just in case the knife breaks, I have the proof for spyderco warranty :D
:spyder: Paramilitary 2
:spyder: Bob Lum Tanto Sprint
:spyder: Anso Zulu
:spyder: Szabo Folder
:spyder: Delica ZDP-189
:spyder: SS Kiwi
:spyder: SS Bug set
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

The situation Is this if a random attack happens broad daylight the chances are your facing somebody either high on crack etc , a psychopath or somebody suffering serious delusions and mental health problems.
In that situation most men and those with training whom haven't been in an actual situation will find unless they deliver a lethal blow the assailant will inflict injury.
Carrying a knife like the matriarch will cause your average mugger etc to think twice and maybe run but disarming techniques and learning methods to stun and run would IMO be the first steps.