Native history

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
unseenone

Native history

Post by unseenone »

Can someone explain the spydie native history to me or put a link in so that i may read up on this knife. I bought this native back in 2000 or 2001 when i was a lot younger. It has a FRN handle with GIN-1 steel and a metal clip with US patient engraved on it. It was made in Golden Colorado and I came across it while I was moving into my new home. I'm just trying to figure out the history on this particular knife, I thought I lost it.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Two sources for Native history come to mind. The Spydiewiki page on the C41 Native and this page on my website,
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Paul,

Your website is a great historical resource. Thanx much for the doing that.

sal
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

unseenone wrote:Can someone explain the spydie native history to me or put a link in so that i may read up on this knife. I bought this native back in 2000 or 2001 when i was a lot younger. It has a FRN handle with GIN-1 steel and a metal clip with US patient engraved on it. It was made in Golden Colorado and I came across it while I was moving into my new home. I'm just trying to figure out the history on this particular knife, I thought I lost it.
First of all welcome to the forum. This knife has a history not unlike many others. It was purchased. The owner misplaced it and thought it was lost. They the owner (you) found it. Let me know if I can be of further historical benefit. :) Other than that, I know the Native model is a great knife.

Welcome to the forum. :D
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

unseenone wrote:Can someone explain the spydie native history to me or put a link in so that i may read up on this knife. I bought this native back in 2000 or 2001 when i was a lot younger. It has a FRN handle with GIN-1 steel and a metal clip with US patient engraved on it. It was made in Golden Colorado and I came across it while I was moving into my new home. I'm just trying to figure out the history on this particular knife, I thought I lost it.
First of all welcome to the forum. This knife has a history not unlike many others. It was purchased. The owner misplaced it and thought it was lost. Then the owner (you) found it. Let me know if I can be of further historical benefit. :) Other than that, I know the Native model is a great knife.

DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I would love to get my hands on a 440V Native....I really like the model in general but I have yet to get a 440V one.

Welcome to the forum, good choice in knives!
On the hunt for...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I would love to get my hands on a 440V Native....I really like the model in general but I have yet to get a 440V one.

Welcome to the forum, good choice in knives!
After what I experience with my 440V full SE Native I won't be giving mine up any time soon. I still use it on jobs where I don't want to use any other knife on. I wish I could find me a 440V plain edge to go with it. Because I would use both of them exclusively for roughhouse work. The pure punishment and torture I put my 440V Native through about 3 years ago would have trashed out 95% of all the folders on the open market I'm sure of it. But between that blade and the surprisingly rugged FRN construction I was totally amazed that the knife not only did a job straight out of **** itself but it's still in good shape and still usable. I never experienced any chipping on that blade at all even with the hostile usage I put it through. My 440V Native is here for keeps in my footlocker.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

JD Spydo wrote:After what I experience with my 440V full SE Native I won't be giving mine up any time soon. I still use it on jobs where I don't want to use any other knife on. I wish I could find me a 440V plain edge to go with it. Because I would use both of them exclusively for roughhouse work. The pure punishment and torture I put my 440V Native through about 3 years ago would have trashed out 95% of all the folders on the open market I'm sure of it. But between that blade and the surprisingly rugged FRN construction I was totally amazed that the knife not only did a job straight out of **** itself but it's still in good shape and still usable. I never experienced any chipping on that blade at all even with the hostile usage I put it through. My 440V Native is here for keeps in my footlocker.
You have raved many times about that Native...and that is part of what has pushed me to search one out. I want to get some 440V any way, but the Native in particular is one that I now am actively hunting for. I would prefer PE but your love of the SE one, has made me think that having one really good Se knife would be nice.
I don't blame you for not wanting to get rid of it after all that you have been through with it.
On the hunt for...
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Then you might also like this little video I shot at the SFO, of the display featuring all Native variations and prototypes over the years.

[video=youtube_share;_ENOAxBjwog]http://youtu.be/_ENOAxBjwog?hd=1[/video]
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

sal wrote:Hi Paul,

Your website is a great historical resource. Thanx much for the doing that.

sal
It's a great historical resource, but it needs to grow a little faster :) .
All God's critters have knives.
unseenone

Post by unseenone »

jackknifeh wrote:First of all welcome to the forum. This knife has a history not unlike many others. It was purchased. The owner misplaced it and thought it was lost. Then the owner (you) found it. Let me know if I can be of further historical benefit. :) Other than that, I know the Native model is a great knife.

Thanks jackknifeh I never thought about that way. Thanks everyone who commented.