Cleaning my CF Caly 3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rnbtexas

Cleaning my CF Caly 3

Post by rnbtexas »

Hi All,

I just purchased two Caly 3s (used). One is a G10 SE version and the other is the CF ZDP 189 version. I know that these are "blushingless" designs. The G-10 SE version seems to open smoother. I have taken the PE blade out and cleaned it and reoiled it. It still seems to be less smooth than the SE version. I have a couple of theories. First it has just been opened and closed more and there is more wear and tear on the surfaces. The other is that I might not be using the proper lube. I am using a higher end bearing oil I got at Sportsmen Warehouse.

Any help with this would be appreciated. It won't keep me from using the knife, I just don't want to damage it.

Also, I did search and just didn't find anything. Feel free to point me at prior posts if I just missed. it

Best
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

From your description I don't really 'see' the problem. But since you live in Denver, I'd suggest driving over to Golden and have the factory or SFO check it out for you. It's also a great opportunity to check out a new unused one for comparison and get some new spydies. IIRC it's about a 30min drive.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram