Has anyone here used their Civilian in self defense?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
KardinalSyn

Has anyone here used their Civilian in self defense?

Post by KardinalSyn »

I am looking at the Civilian again. It's one of those knives that I like a lot but due to its specific nature of use, and the fact that I won't be able to use it for everyday tasks, one that I have kept off buying.

My question is whether anyone here has used their Civilian knife in self defense? No need to go into details if you don't want to. However, I would like to know how it's use was viewed by your peers and law enforcement if applicable.

This question is meant for civilians only.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I don't think you're going to get much feedback. Most civil cases of knife defense are pretty traumatic and long legal ordeals. Most non-court oriented uses won't be disclosed of (by smart people). Most who do admit to using knives are liars who don't know the legal issues they could face. Bragging about bar fighting is dumb but common, people who knife eachother typicially end up in prison or eventually dead.

Dragging a 4" reverse s blade across someone is going to be brutal. As for effective use depends on ability to deploy, use, and have favorable effects via shock and hydraulics. This all assumes deadly force is warranted because you won't get a wrist slap in court if not.

I don't know. I think conceptually and effectively its an amazing tool. When put into the context of a very grey world? That's another question. It was basically designed to keep our police officers safe so it seems to be a good choice all things considered.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I would agree with Blerv, but for a different reason, on the lack of responses. I would venture to say that incidents of people defending themselves with knives in general these days are rare. Narrowing that down further to one particular model that is only made by one company, and even then, not in large quantities (i.e. in the tens or hundreds of thousands), makes the odds even more extreme.

I have been curious about this topic as well. I have asked the question before about any knife on either this or Bladeforums, and did not get a first-hand response from anyone that I can remember. I did get several "I know a guy who knows a guy..." type of responses.
jnichols2

Post by jnichols2 »

I have never used my Civilian for SD, but I can tell you something. I didn't realize just how lethal looking it is until I actually held it in my hand. Pictures just don't convey the message.

You don't want a prosecutor passing your Civilian around a jury unless you can be 100% sure you were in the right. It would also help to have a good story as to why you were carrying it.

With that said, if you want it for your collection, it is a very interesting piece. Or if you will carry it only for the time it's needed to save your life, it should be very effective. Some folks say it's no good for SD because it can't stab. It's not meant to. As a slasher it can inflict massive and traumatic wounds that will disuade just about anybody. But then, be prepared to justify it's use.

Remember; if you are carrying a weapon like the Civilian it will be hard to portray yourself as a victim. If SD is really your goal, I see you have a Manix XL and a Military. Either would look better in court.
Ladybug, Delica x 2, Endura x 2, Military Black, Manix 2 XL, Civilian, Harpy, Caly 3.5 CF ZDP-189, Sage 1
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

I have a Civi and the Matriarch and wouldn't dare taking them with me, if I show it to somebody most of the times they move back a couple of meters, and this is the same reaction you will get in Europe from a LEO. You will not be able to explain in court that you carry this just in case you get attacked. The cuts this knife makes are so extensive, you can easily end up being sewed for excessive violence.

My advice: take get a look at the training video from Michael Jannich on the Civi. First thing he say in one of the videos is not to use this knife without having had the proper training. Because this knife cuts in two planes with every cut you can end up hurting yourself more then the attacker. This knife although called the Civilian is in the first place destined for use by a trained professional in life or death situations.
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

EDIT*** Youtube Movie Delete because of a Copyright violation****

dennisap

Post by dennisap »

Actually that's James Keating :cool: Keating and Janich know each other though.
Yojimbo 2
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

IMO, as a civilian, if you willingly get near anyone that would attack after one look at a Spyderco Civilian, you need a gun, backup and perhaps a mental examination.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

dennisap wrote:Actually that's James Keating :cool: Keating and Janich know each other though.
My mistake!! Thanks for correcting!

mikeh99

Post by mikeh99 »

Boy, I would hate to meet him in an adversary situation!
Mike
jnichols2

Post by jnichols2 »

Pinetreebbs wrote:IMO, as a civilian, if you willingly get near anyone that would attack after one look at a Spyderco Civilian, you need a gun, backup and perhaps a mental examination.
If I pulled a Civilian on someone and he didn't at least back up -- I'd run like h**l.
Ladybug, Delica x 2, Endura x 2, Military Black, Manix 2 XL, Civilian, Harpy, Caly 3.5 CF ZDP-189, Sage 1
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

jnichols2 wrote:If I pulled a Civilian on someone and he didn't at least back up -- I'd run like h**l.
Exactly! :eek:
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
Norman

Post by Norman »

Have you considered a tazer?

Knives are deadly no doubt. But I would not count on slashes from a little knife to immediately stop someone. Tazers can and do stop people immediately. They are less lethal to boot.

Here is my own ranking of weapon "stopping" power. Lower rank does not mean it is an inferior weapon. It is only for the immediate stopping effect.
#1- 10 gauge shotgun, buck shot
#2- 12 gauge shotgun, buck shot
#3- Long and carbine rifles
#4- A tie between high powered tazers small hand guns. The gun is better and more reliable but a tazer can sometimes have a more immediate effect than a single shot from a small gun.
#5- Large knives
#6- Small knives.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I don't think anyone would want to be on wrong end of a Civilian :eek: If contact is made it could get very messy very quickly :eek:

As I remember the Civilian was designed as a defense weapon for african women to protect themselves against rape. Certainly a lethal weapon if used with passion :eek: :eek:
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I don't know if you would be any better in court with 4" normal blades, especially named "Manix XL" or "Military". :)

If things get bad and you use a knife or gun for defense you are in for a ride. It's better than a pine box but don't scrimp on an attorney or expect a handshake from the mayor. I do agree there are better ways to defend yourself in normal situations. Still, if you're being cornered in a sterotypical 1980's action movie by a gang in an alley then a knife or gun can change things up.

It's pretty scary to think about. I'm going to go hit my punching bag for a while :) .
dennisap

Post by dennisap »

IG-88 wrote:My mistake!! Thanks for correcting!
No worries :)

As for the Civilian, the thread topic made me say OUCH! Serrated knives make their presence felt! Then it has the hook shape.

Many here probably know Hannibal Lecter bought a Civilian in the novel Hannibal.
Yojimbo 2
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

dennisap wrote:No worries :)

As for the Civilian, the thread topic made me say OUCH! Serrated knives make their presence felt! Then it has the hook shape.

Many here probably know Hannibal Lecter bought a Civilian in the novel Hannibal.
Wasn't it a harpy?
JD Spydo

Be careful and wise

Post by JD Spydo »

Blerv wrote:I don't think you're going to get much feedback. Most civil cases of knife defense are pretty traumatic and long legal ordeals. Most non-court oriented uses won't be disclosed of (by smart people). Most who do admit to using knives are liars who don't know the legal issues they could face. Bragging about bar fighting is dumb but common, people who knife eachother typicially end up in prison or eventually dead.

Dragging a 4" reverse s blade across someone is going to be brutal. As for effective use depends on ability to deploy, use, and have favorable effects via shock and hydraulics. This all assumes deadly force is warranted because you won't get a wrist slap in court if not.

I don't know. I think conceptually and effectively its an amazing tool. When put into the context of a very grey world? That's another question. It was basically designed to keep our police officers safe so it seems to be a good choice all things considered.
I completely agree with BLERV on this one. He said it all very succinctly>> but if you ever had to use a blade for actual self defense and actually and truly cut or hurt someone with the blade you better only chat with your attorney about it. And absolutely insist on talking to your attorney before telling the police anything.

Because you could be totally 100% in the right and if you say something that could be misconstrued it could costs you a lot of time and trouble and a jail sentence that you don't deserve. I do carry for SD where I'm living now but I pray to GOD almost daily that I won't have to use it. It truly would be my last resort and I would advise you to have the same strategy.

Hey I'm all for the 2nd Amendment and no one believes in the USA Constitution more than I do. But this current legal environment we live under can be a bureaucratic nightmare that could wreck you financially even if you are 100% in the right if you're not extremely careful about what you say and also don't advertise that you carry for self defense because in this day and age your best friend might turn out to be a "judasgoat".
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

You know, the knife laws in many, many places specifically call out as illegal any knife designed for MBC. So you're committing a crime just carrying it. Not a good way to start if you do end up in court. That's why I don't even buy that kind of blade. The Yo2 is calling me because it looks like it would make a great EDC, but I'm not pulling the trigger because it's advertised as a knife for MBC and I don't need the potential headache. Bummer.

Gordon
Pharmagator

Post by Pharmagator »

I used my Civilian in self-defense - I am pretty sure my right hand though it was defending me from my left hand... and my right hand stopped the assumed 'attack' very quickly... I had to go get a band-aid very quickly as well...
:spyder: My motto: Live and don't learn... :spyder: