The most underappreciated Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dbcad

The most underappreciated Spyderco

Post by dbcad »

We would all have different opions :) I am focusing now on the least expensive and most modest of all Spyderco offerings, the Bug.

First you look at the price, $6, for that you get 3Cr13 with SS scales. It was quite easy to slip into my cart with another more expensive model. The slipit spring is quite strong for it's size and the little knife feels very tight, no play in any direction. It is a Spyderco with an appropriate requisite feel. Despite the modest price and materials these little gems are pure Spyderco :D

I made this little knife sharp enough to pushcut phonebook paper with ease and now it resides in my wallet. I suggested the same for those who were gifted them. It will need sharpening more often than more high end end materials, but with this gem you have to consider the price ;)

I'll leave with a pic of the most underappreciated knife in the Spyderco lineup :)
Attachments
bug.jpg
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

dbcad wrote:We would all have different opions :) I am focusing now on the least expensive and most modest of all Spyderco offerings, the Bug.

First you look at the price, $6, for that you get 3Cr13 with SS scales. It was quite easy to slip into my cart with another more expensive model. The slipit spring is quite strong for it's size and the little knife feels very tight, no play in any direction. It is a Spyderco with an appropriate requisite feel. Despite the modest price and materials these little gems are pure Spyderco :D

I made this little knife sharp enough to pushcut phonebook paper with ease and now it resides in my wallet. I suggested the same for those who were gifted them. It will need sharpening more often than more high end end materials, but with this gem you have to consider the price ;)

I'll leave with a pic of the most underappreciated knife in the Spyderco lineup :)
K390 sprint? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: (jk)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

**** i'd be all over a VG10 version of this knife. Seriously.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

I think the Spyderco Stretch. (Although it is known as a great knife, I think its the ultimate knife)
Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't think the Centofantes get much respect. They're awesome knives. I'd love to see a ZDP/Super Blue sprint of either the 3 or 4.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I don't think the Rookie G10 caught on as it should have. Light, thin, 3" blade, POINTY tip? It was sub $100 too.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Another vote for the Stretch.
C.L.L 97

Post by C.L.L 97 »

razorsharp wrote:K390 sprint? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: (jk)
haha That'd be awesome!
Caden's :spyder:'s-g10 dragonfly, digicamo para2,bug,honeybee,sharpmaker.
Newest :spyder: manix 2 lightweight.
:spyder: top wishlist: junior,D4,E4,,h1 D'fly salt,h1 ladybug salt,g10 manbug,caly3•3.5,all sprint para2's
Have to have= brad southard flipper, gayle bradley:spyder:

"combat knife is actually 10% weapon and 90% tool".~ Al Mar
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I'd like to see another run of the Centofante II without the SecureLock feature. I love the handle and long triangular shaped blade. It's a very handy design, and I don't know that it caught on very well.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

CPMD2 Para. Smoothest, sharpest Spydie I've ever had. They didn't sell out and are still around.

USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Leatherneck wrote:CPMD2 Para. Smoothest, sharpest Spydie I've ever had. They didn't sell out and are still around.
+1 . . . Took the words from my mouth. The Para 2 is all the rage, but it still is not the original with the original super-steel.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Blerv wrote:I don't think the Rookie G10 caught on as it should have. Light, thin, 3" blade, POINTY tip? It was sub $100 too.
+1. Don't know if this is the "most under appreciated" but I think it certainly deserves more praise :)
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

79mm rescue. As a EDC for me, this knife can do everything I need on a day to day basis. They are cheap, and the ergos are one of the best. Except a few threads, I've never heard anything about this knife. I bought the rescue on a overstock special for $34.
jldc

Post by jldc »

Blerv wrote:I don't think the Rookie G10 caught on as it should have. Light, thin, 3" blade, POINTY tip? It was sub $100 too.
I agree. I added an aftermarket deep cary clip and it's nearly perfect.

L
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

IMHO, I would say that one of the all-time most "under-appreciated" Spydies would have to be the Mouse (designed by Tim Wegner). I could just kick myself now for not buying a few more when they were still available. :(
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
paladin

Post by paladin »

the Worker...way overdue for a redux or sprint run, if for no other reason, nostalgia and history demand it.
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
avocadobbq

Post by avocadobbq »

A lot of people appreciate the Bug. It is the cutest Spydie, after all.

My vote goes to the Cat- even though I've just ordered one and haven't handled it yet. It's been plagued by production issues and a lack of jimping that have really put a damper on a great design.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

There are lots of Spyderco's that "model lovers" will feel are unappreciated. Me? I can't fathom how someone can live without a Sage4. I've come to just consider it part of my wardrobe. The GB is right there also but I've come to settle on the Sage4 as my knife that I was looking for 5 or 6 years ago when I decided to get one good quality knife. Of course other people will have their favorites and not be able to understand why I never bought a Dragonfly (which is still on my wish list :) ).

Having said all of that I have to agree that as a whole the Bug may be the least appreciated knife around. Well, it has been unappreciated by me anyway. I got mine when I found this thread and it is about as solid as my other knives. No blade play as stated above, very solid. I attached it to my Fenix LD01 light, replacing my Jester to see how it actually works as an EDC "keychain" type knife. I'm going to use it and see how it does for me.

Jack
PS
Maybe Sal will come out with a CF bug with an M4 blade??? :)
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Evil D wrote:I don't think the Centofantes get much respect. They're awesome knives. I'd love to see a ZDP/Super Blue sprint of either the 3 or 4.
Would love to see the Vesuvius make a come back in SB. To me, this is the most under appreciated knife of all time. Compression lock, baby!

Ken
玉鋼
bh49

Post by bh49 »

IMHO there are many underappreciated Spydercos, just to name few: Adventura, Volpe, Shabaria
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian