Bradley Air- Pics!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

sal wrote:Hi Roger,

Thanx much for the pics. Gayle Bradley is an exceptional designer / maker. We tried to do his design justice. A fine gent's folder. Hope you enjoy the piece.

Sorry about the "no pouch", Ken. We thought to begin the design this way. If the demand is large for a pouch, we can add one later, but it does raise the price?

sal
A pouch would have been nice. I had always suggested using the same suede pouch used for the Kiwi, just black instead of brown. And I think that if I get one of these, I will be hunting down something similar to use with the Air, if you made one, or if it came with one, I wouldn't mind dropping a few bucks (maybe $10 for a suede one).

I'd even take a brown one and just re-dye it, if you have some old Kiwi ones around, that would probably do those of us that want a pouch for the Air.
On the hunt for...
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Without a pouch, the Air has no chance of being carried (by me). Still, it will make a great desk knife, and I'm sure I could acquire a pouch if necessary.
:bug-red-white
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:A pouch would have been nice. I had always suggested using the same suede pouch used for the Kiwi, just black instead of brown. And I think that if I get one of these, I will be hunting down something similar to use with the Air, if you made one, or if it came with one, I wouldn't mind dropping a few bucks (maybe $10 for a suede one).

I'd even take a brown one and just re-dye it, if you have some old Kiwi ones around, that would probably do those of us that want a pouch for the Air.
The Kiwi pouch is a fairly close fit on the Kiwi so, based on the listed sizes of both knives, I suspect it would be a tad too small for the Air.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I just got word from Jim Howe that his first shipment as arrived - mine should be on the way shortly. I'm excited!

Personally, I wouldn't use a pouch or sheath for the Air. I like carrying deep in my front left pocket with this category of knife. In fact, almost all my knives that fit in this category have the clip removed before I start using them (e.g., DragonFly, Squeak, Walker CF sprint, Chicago, Ti UKPK).

I'm anxious to start getting some patina on this blade by carrying it in my pocket. I'm not going to TufGlide the blade immediately. After it breaks in, I'm going to disassemble and treat the pivot area (but not the blade itself) to prevent corrosion.

TedP
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Roger, you mentioned the handle thickness as your only possible nit to pick. How thick are we talking about?
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
phaust

Post by phaust »

gbelleh wrote:Without a pouch, the Air has no chance of being carried (by me). Still, it will make a great desk knife, and I'm sure I could acquire a pouch if necessary.
I'd put money on the Chris Reeves Knives pouch fitting it well. They fit the small Mnandi all the way up to the Large Sebenza. They aren't excessively cheap, but they are good quality.

edit: this one:

WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

DJ- it's a hair over 3/8's. Not really thick, but not wafer thin either. Its nice to grip.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Cute knife. I'll be waiting for some spine whacking and baton testing. :cool:
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

WireEdge Roger wrote:DJ- it's a hair over 3/8's. Not really thick, but not wafer thin either. Its nice to grip.
Oh, yeah, that's not that thick. (Although after EDCing the Chaparral for about a year, everything's going to seem a little broad in the beam.)
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

You'll have to use a tiny little baton, Evil...

TedP
Polar L

Post by Polar L »

Thanks for the pics. (Can't wait for mine to arrive)
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

sal wrote:Sorry about the "no pouch", Ken. We thought to begin the design this way. If the demand is large for a pouch, we can add one later, but it does raise the price?
No worries, Sal. I was pretty excited when Gayle initially said it would have a wire clip. Then that couldn't happen but there was talk of a pouch. Dunno if I would have liked that but my experience with knives just sitting in my pocket is they get dirty (lint and such) very quickly.

Mine came today and it's truely a beautiful piece but unless I can figure out a way to carry it I'm just not sure what I'm gonna do with it.

Ken
玉鋼
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

I tend to put my knives in my pocket anyway, so to me the lack of clip and unsightly holes is a good thing. Very nice knife, I see one in my future.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

FLYBYU44 wrote:I tend to put my knives in my pocket anyway, so to me the lack of clip and unsightly holes is a good thing. Very nice knife, I see one in my future.
If that is your mode of carry, you definitely should. It's a truely outstanding piece. You'll be amazed at how light weight it is. You won't even notice it's in your pocket. And that thin blade slices like a demon.

Ken
玉鋼
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

Great photos, thanks. I've been anxiously curious (is that even a term?) about the Air. But I'm wondering how it compares in hand and in use with, say, the CF Kiwi. If it's even better, I'm in...
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

I handled the Air at the SFO and I think that a clip on this knife would have made the knife a bit larger than need be. A pouch a la CRK I think would be a great addition.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Looks lovely ... in a slippie format it would be a great successor to the Bob-T slipit :) I have the Bob-T and the one thing I don't like about it is the concave grind and the shape - the Air is spot on - Wharnie and full-flat :D
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Mine's here

Yeah, I forced it yesterday.

Tried everything I could think of to work a wire clip in there but nothing yet.....

Ken
玉鋼
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Yes, that knife needs a clip. If I were to get one, I would make one from titanium.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

What it needs is to be lefty. This knife checks off nearly every box on my list of knife features I like. Except it's wrong-handed. I like the design so much I'm actually considering violating my stance of absolutely no compromise on the left-handed thing, but I think my principles are going to win out.