Starmate

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
KardinalSyn

Starmate

Post by KardinalSyn »

The Starmate prototype was shown at the 2012 Amsterdam Meet. Any indication as to when it will be launched?

Please also share your thoughts on this folder. I seem to be drawn to the design even though funds don't permitme to purchase one :o
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

The Starmate is an awesome design, definitly one of my all-time faves.
As far as I can recall the Amsterdam meet, the sprint prototype has some pros and cons referring to the original:

+ stronger lock-insert
+ off-side liner
+ 4-way clip
+ G-10 has more grip
- not made in Golden
- steel is VG-10, not CPM-440V
- no Terzuola-emblem
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and beautiful knives. The rest I just squandered."
Slightly modified, R.I.P. George Best.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Bring it!
See my signature.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

I like the design. I don't get the name or what led to this folders creation. Does anyone know?
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

KardinalSyn wrote:The Starmate prototype was shown at the 2012 Amsterdam Meet. Any indication as to when it will be launched?

Please also share your thoughts on this folder. I seem to be drawn to the design even though funds don't permitme to purchase one :o
Ah Kardinal, where do I begin...

As I have mentioned many times in the past, the original C55GPS Starmate remains one of my all-time favorite Spyderco designs in terms of superior ergonomics, quality, balance, and functionality. First and foremost, great commendation must be given to the Starmate’s designer, Mr. Bob Terzuola. One can readily see that a great deal of thought and consideration went into this design. Although designed as a utilitarian tactical blade, the Starmate seems to have an almost artistic flow starting from the tip of the blade to the distal end of the handle, reminiscent of a custom folder. When grasped firmly, the Starmate literally feels like a natural extension of one’s hand. The blade is hollow ground in CPM-440V steel and features a slight top swedge on either side of the blade, thereby increasing penetration potential while maintaining overall strength at the tip. I have been incredibly impressed with the 60/40 combination edge (PlainEdge and SpyderEdge) and have found this configuration to be especially useful for every-day type uses. (On a side note, I would personally love to see more Spyderco knives offered in this configuration :) ). The oversized opening hole on the blade allows for quick deployment, even when wearing thick gloves. The Michael Walker Liner-Lock engages the blade crisply and offers no play whatsoever. The weight of the 3 ¾” blade also allows the Starmate to be “flicked” open with minimal effort. The knife is positioned for clip-down carry. Finally, I have always been amazed at the relative lightness of the Starmate. Despite an overall length of 8 11/16th, the Starmate weighs a mere 4.25 oz, making it a pleasure to carry as an EDC knife. If I recall correctly, the Starmate was produced from about 1998 to 2001. For those who are considering purchasing the upcoming new generation Starmate, I would very highly encourage you to put this knife on your “must have” list. You will not regret the decision.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Thanks for the reply SpyderNut. The StarMate is on the list but only time will tell if I can buy it. there is something about the design that I like. Can't explain it.
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

MarcusH wrote: - steel is VG-10, not CPM-440V
Ultimately this is a moot point but if it were made in Golden I don't think we'd be getting 440V steel this time around. My guess would be S35VN.
~ Nate
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Wonder why there is not much info on this model amongst the other members. Was this on display at any other shows after Amsterdam?
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

jujigatame wrote:Ultimately this is a moot point but if it were made in Golden I don't think we'd be getting 440V steel this time around. My guess would be S35VN.
IIRC it is going to be a Japanese made knife with VG-10...I think that M390 or M4 would be a much better choice.
On the hunt for...
MCM

Post by MCM »

KardinalSyn wrote:Wonder why there is not much info on this model amongst the other members. Was this on display at any other shows after Amsterdam?
I don't recall seeing it at the Shot show or Blade this year.
Maybe I just missed it?

I really like the knife, but could live without the 4 xtra tip down carry clip holes.

I plan to pick one up when there available.

Also, I didn't know (or forgot) this was a Sprint run? Is that a fact?
If it is, I would guess a large run or 1200. Anyone know the details?
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

KardinalSyn wrote:Thanks for the reply SpyderNut. The StarMate is on the list but only time will tell if I can buy it. there is something about the design that I like. Can't explain it.
No problem. :) FWIW, I couldn't agree more: there IS something about this design that is very attractive. Just be advised that if you have an opportunity to hold one, it may very well end up going home with you... ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Howe Knife Shop will have the new Starmate Sprint in Stock 11/01/12 :)

Saw a preorder at GP Knives as well!

So if you are looking for one it's the moment :)
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

Saw them at KW also. FYI.

Ouch what a price tag. :eek:
Not sure I can jump at that price. Looks like a cool blade though. Go get em.
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

It is a stunning knife and been on my wish list for a while but I'm not sure I understand the pricing of it. Comparing it to a Large Chinese : both VG10, made in Japan. Both liner locks, similar size (Starmate 0.5 oz heavier so there is possibly more material), both G10 on stainless liners and collaboration models. Substantial difference in price. Whilst I cannot expect them to be same price I wasn't expecting this kind of variance. Blade shape and grind isn't making that kind of difference.

I really like what I have seen of the Starmate but this one I am going to have to touch and feel to justify the fairly significant extra value / utility / cool / collect-ability over a Lum or a Military (admittedly the Military is on a high volume / low margin price structure). By the time I have paid international shipping, tax and all that good stuff I am not far off the price of some of the local handmade knives with say N690 and G10 scales.

I'm just a simple guy sitting in my hut in Africa so I'm sure someone will explain my flawed logic to me.

Out of interest I sorted one of the on line dealers' Spydercos by price, stripped out the sprint runs, pre-orders and multiples of the same model (ie only had a fluted Ti Millie and not the Ti Millie in the list as well) - 11 of the most expensive 20 are 2012 releases. No comment, just an observation.

I probably will break down at some stage and get a Starmate but it won't be this morning.
tap78

Post by tap78 »

~180$ for G10 and a piece of VG10? hmm... not for me...
My spyder:'s: Military Camo, Paramilitary 2 CTS-XHP Orange, Paramilitary 2 CTS-204P Green, Endura 4 ZDP-189 ComboEdge BRG, Endura 4 ZDP-189 FFG BRG, Manix 2 Lightweight Blue, Caly 3 G-10, Salt 1 Yellow SE C88SYL, Ulize, Manix I C95, Manix 2 XL S90v CF, Delica 4 CE Black C11PCBBK, Manix 2 154CM, Military All Black C36GPBK, Stretch SE C90SBK Black FRN, Caly3 CF ZDP-189/420J2, Sage 3 BoltLock CF, Gayle Bradley C134CFP, Squarehead C193TIP, Pacific Salt Yellow SE C91SYL, Pacific Salt Black C91PBK, Ladybug 3 Salt LYL3, Stretch CF ZDP-189 C90CF, Lum Large Chinese Folder C143G, Perrin Street Bowie FB04PBB, Mantra Titanium C202TI, Farid K-2 Titanium C185TI, Para 3 C223GPGYCW Para 3 Cruwear
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

A strategy is to wait a few months to give some time for the price to settle down, and then maybe grab one on discount.

Is this a limited production run? If so you'll have to rethink the above. :)
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Is this a regular production model?
:bug-red-white
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

As far as I know it's a sprint
Sht

Post by Sht »

I waiting to see it in person but 180 is fine by me if it works.
Gayle Bradley
Bob lum tanto sprint
Milie camo
Para2 camo
Manix2 moonglow
Tasman salt
Tenacious (the whole lineup)
Kiwi SS

Knives at all times
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Production