Knife For Her

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Stugots-II

Knife For Her

Post by Stugots-II »

So she finally wants a knife only there is a slight catch. I was going to get her one on my own but then she clued me in on what she'd really like. She likes natural things like wood big time but also likes the stainless steel models. I was looking at the SpyFox for the best of both worlds.

So the question for you guys is, what is out there for a smaller knife with wood or SS. I love Spyderco and don't really want to get anything else. I just don't think there are too many models out there.
vinito

Post by vinito »

The ladybug seems like a good choice and is offered with SS handles.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Maybe a kiwi? s/s or stag, it is a slipjoint though.

A leafstorm? You could tell her the Ti is s/s and it has natural G10 ;)

Techno? What's your budget?
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

My wife carries a pink FRN Jester on her keychain and likes it a lot. I carry a micarta one. If you watch eBay SS Jesters come up pretty regularly, generally not insanely priced. Another Jester option is the new readily available (for now) sprint version which has gray G-10 handles with SS bolsters. The G-10 gives either gender a better grip and the SS bolsters just look classy.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Knifewing wrote: Another Jester option is the new readily available (for now) sprint version which has gray G-10 handles with SS bolsters. The G-10 gives either gender a better grip and the SS bolsters just look classy.
Mine doesn't have S/S bolsters?! Just grey G10, think you are thinking of the manbug?
My Girlfriend was using my jester for a while but out grew it quick, now she has a FFG D4.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Kiwis and Kopas are awesome but harder to find. A Microdyad might be cool but again close to $100 if that matters.

A Cricket or Balance might be nice. Not natural materials but SS makes for a thin classy tool. Or a Ladybug tattoo perhaps.
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Blerv wrote:Kiwis and Kopas are awesome but harder to find. A Microdyad might be cool but again close to $100 if that matters.

A Cricket or Balance might be nice. Not natural materials but SS makes for a thin classy tool. Or a Ladybug tattoo perhaps.
My thoughts exactly, Cricket, Balance, or perhaps the Stainless Dragonfly Tattoo?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

As I understand it, the Spyfox is made by Fox (the same company that made the Volpe) with Spyderco's permission, so if you wife likes it, I'd see no reason not to get it for her. Otherwise, if she likes SS, she might like the Dragonfly Tattoo, or one of the other SS models that have been mentioned.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Stacked wood Kopa. Smaller knife, wood and stainless. Price might be the only issue but if you buy her a relatively expensive knife it helps justify your further purchases.

http://www.warriorsandwonders.com/Spyde ... Run_of_600
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I would recommend the Lava, but you would have to find it on the secondary market as it has been discontinued. They are readily found on E-bay and such.

FYI - my wife has a Ladybug Salt on her keychain and a G-10 Dragonfly in her purse.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Blerv wrote:Kiwis and Kopas are awesome but harder to find. A Microdyad might be cool but again close to $100 if that matters.

+1
I would certainly go with Kopa, if you can afford. Lately prices on e-bay kind of crazy, still if you can be patient always a chance to get a good deal. Micro-Dyad is a nice option. I saw black purl quite often on the bay way under $100, but ergos are not there. Ladybug Tatoo is nice.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Mud Shrimp Moe

Post by Mud Shrimp Moe »

I love the Cricket. I'm not a woman, but for either gender who wants a small, non-aggressive, kind of funky blade with high functionality for its size it's a good choice. I like the stainless model because of the frame lock.
Stugots-II

Post by Stugots-II »

Thanks for all the input guys, the sad part is I have many of the models mentioned above. I have no Kopas but they sure do look nice and offer something she may like. Though after talking with her even more today she likes more of the wood than a combo but would take a SS if not wood. So I just might have to make some wood scales again and give it the touch of something even more special. I just wish Spyderco had some more offerings with some natural mediums like wood.

I do think I will show her the engraved dragonfly some more and push that until I get something more suitable. She did like using my ZDP-189 D-Fly but that is FRN of course. Bring on the wood, what can I say she likes natural things and I don't blame her.
akaAK wrote:Stacked wood Kopa. Smaller knife, wood and stainless. Price might be the only issue but if you buy her a relatively expensive knife it helps justify your further purchases.

http://www.warriorsandwonders.com/Spyde ... Run_of_600
I like that, justifying future purchases, lucky for me she doesn't make a huge deal over my one vise at the moment. She knew I had a problem when I met her...lol
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

If she's set on wood, Santa Fe Stoneworks does some really neat wood marquetry designs, so you might consider contacting them and inquiring as to whether they could make you something, and what it would cost. Here are a few examples:

Earthing Police:

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Earthling Kiwi:

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Eagle Police:

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Eagle Kiwi:

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Marsh Scene Dragonfly:

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Paul
MsbS

Post by MsbS »

Sage 4 has rather nice wooden handles. It might be too large for your missus' liking though, I fear.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Something with carbon fiber might work as well. It's not wood, but it is visually interesting. Glass fiber, too.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

Why do most men seem to assume that most women will automatically want a pink, or small weapon? LOL
MsbS

Post by MsbS »

enduraguy wrote:Why do most men seem to assume that most women will automatically want a pink, or small weapon? LOL
Ummm... Because of that (bold added by me)?
Stugots-II wrote: what is out there for a smaller knife with wood or SS
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

enduraguy wrote:Why do most men seem to assume that most women will automatically want a pink, or small weapon? LOL
Why do some people assume anyone who wants a knife wants it as a weapon?
Paul
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

Sorry about the mistake above re my comment on confusing the Manbug and the G-10 Jester. Thanks for correcting it. I have both and like them a lot, although I still give the Jester the edge. Re the comment above about pink knives for women...I can only say that my wife chose that Jester color, so it would have been, shall we say, unwise, to refuse :) . Re the size comment...she also carries a blue FFG Delica in her purse. She decided to stop carrying her red sprint Persian because of local 3" limit carry laws.