yojimbo or para 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
iyn

yojimbo or para 2?

Post by iyn »

Debating on which knife to get the yojimo or para 2. I started carrying a 2nd folder, one for edc (dragonfly) and one for defense (stretch). I like the 3-1/2" size and looking at the yojimbo or para 2. need advice.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well, if you're looking for a self defense knife, this seems like a no brainer. Go with the one designed by a self defense guru, for self defense use. Yojimbo 2.

The Para 2 is a better all around general purpose knife though, so if you want something that can do everything, get the Para 2. If you REALLY only plan on using it for SD, and/or you understand how and where a wharncliffe blade is best suited, then get the Yo 2.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
tautisg1

Post by tautisg1 »

Para 2 = EDC
Yojimbo = Self Defence
Para 2 will be better for everyday use and will also function in Self Defence, just not as well as the Yojimbo 2. The Yojimbo is made for SD and is not as good as the para 2 for normal cutting tasks, however if you want to cut carpet, then the yo 2 is your best bet. Pretty much what Evil D said. I say go for Para 2. Much more versatile knife.
Mud Shrimp Moe

Post by Mud Shrimp Moe »

I own both and agree the Para 2 is somewhat better for EDC. The size and weight difference between the two knives isn't enough to notice. And I do think the Yojimbo2 has fine functionality for EDC. However, it looks pretty aggressive to pull out at the office. Of course, so does the Para2, depending upon where you work.

I enjoy both very much, but find the Para2 to be a bit better for EDC. And, frankly, at my level of training, the self-defense differences between the Para2 and Yojimbo2 probably aren't material either.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mud Shrimp Moe wrote:I own both and agree the Para 2 is somewhat better for EDC. The size and weight difference between the two knives isn't enough to notice. And I do think the Yojimbo2 has fine functionality for EDC. However, it looks pretty aggressive to pull out at the office. Of course, so does the Para2, depending upon where you work.

I enjoy both very much, but find the Para2 to be a bit better for EDC. And, frankly, at my level of training, the self-defense differences between the Para2 and Yojimbo2 probably aren't material either.
I look at that the complete opposite...my lack of training is what makes a better tool for the job even more important. Mike Janich could probably kill you with a butter knife before you knew he was even attacking you..i'm not that good, so having the right tool for that situation is even more important because i can't rely on skill to fill in the gaps. A $2,000 pool cue won't make you a hustler overnight, but it sure won't hurt your shot either.
~David
broadarrow1

Post by broadarrow1 »

As others have said, Yojimbo 2 all the way for self defense.

Yojimbo is the Japanese word for bodyguard.
- broadarrow1
Mystro

Post by Mystro »

I am not sure the Yojimbo2 isn't just as good for EDC??? I am a hardcore PM2 guy but I have been carrying my new Y2 and I think I like it better for EDC. It's very utilitarian and much like a utility knife and I think it cuts better. Both have very pointy tips that make them handy. I will self defence any knife I am carrying so that doesn't matter for me. I use my knives in and out of the woods as a tool. I think it's a toss up. I really think both knives are so exceptional, you need both.
Does that help??????? :D
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

I don't really "like" the sharp/pointy Yojimbo2 profile, but then, self-defense knives are not my thing. That thing scares the heck out of me. I'm sure it's a great design for its intended purpose. However, I prefer the Para 2 for casual EDC/slicing and own a few of them in various blade-steels. For defense, I carry a Glock or Walther.
Sonny
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Blade profile of the Yo2 beats Para2 substantially. That's still a very small part of the defense pie though.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Blerv wrote:Blade profile of the Yo2 beats Para2 substantially. That's still a very small part of the defense pie though.
I agree. The partially occluded hole of the Yo2 makes it less than the para 2 for me, if I absolutely had to use it for SD. I've tried to be fast with the Yo2 and almost cut myself several times when my thumb tried to push on the edge. I also don't like inertial openings for SD. I'd take a less ideal blade shape that opens more reliably for me over an ideal blade shape that I might have difficulty getting open and locked "stressful" events.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Exactly Chuck. A reason why for me the Stretch and Superhawk are ideal. Really anything that fits the person's hand the best. I'd prob zip tie the Yo2 personally but with I'm sure with some practice it's not needed.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

For me I'd go with the Para....and Yes I'm a SD guy.....The Yojimbo1 if you can find it is a terrific SD knife....From those who have bought a Yo2, well, Chuck is not the first nor the only person who thinks the Yo2 is lacking in the SD department...I don't have one, and will not get one either. If I needed a good EDC with SD in mind...FWIW I'd choose the Para.......Doc :)
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Mud Shrimp Moe

Post by Mud Shrimp Moe »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I agree. The partially occluded hole of the Yo2 makes it less than the para 2 for me, if I absolutely had to use it for SD. I've tried to be fast with the Yo2 and almost cut myself several times when my thumb tried to push on the edge. I also don't like inertial openings for SD. I'd take a less ideal blade shape that opens more reliably for me over an ideal blade shape that I might have difficulty getting open and locked "stressful" events.

I had the same issues opening the Yojimbo2 at first. However, with repetition I've overcome them and can now open it every time.

Of course, in a real SD situation nerves and adrenaline might affect my performance.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I just got my Yo2 a couple days ago and also noticed it was more difficult to open quickly than I expected. I'm sure with practice it would be fine. I'm not too concerned about it for my uses.
:bug-red-white
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It seems a great wave candidate.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Blerv wrote:It seems a great wave candidate.
This Yo2 has been Charlie Miked.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Eh, that totally ruins thumb positioning unless you try to get it past that hook, which i can't imagine is comfortable. This knife does nothing for me in saber grip.
~David
Mystro

Post by Mystro »

With in 2 minutes of getting my Y2, I could open and close it as good as my PM2. I am hyper critical and my Y2 came absolutely friggen perfect and smooth as butter. I Spydie drop it all the time and flick it out faster than my PM2 because the blade is heavier... It certainly has better handle to blade ratio than the PM2. Here are some pics to push you over the edge.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Evil D wrote:Eh, that totally ruins thumb positioning unless you try to get it past that hook, which i can't imagine is comfortable. This knife does nothing for me in saber grip.
Yea but a number of people hammer grip their knives. I understand the design and it definitely works for Mike's methodology but grips are a polarized world. Some trainers would scold you for ever putting your thumb on the spine or against a thumb ramp.

Comfort has to come # 1 though so it's all personal preference.
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

I have (had) 4 Para2's with different steel & G10 configurations. I just lost my favorite Para2 (digicam/satin S30V) to the ocean last week while on a night job. I was seriously depressed for a good couple days because of the loss. I get attached to different knives for different reasons. Anyway , then I got an email from a retail knife site I go on regularly telling me that the Yo2 I pre-ordered is finally in stock. But instead of buying it , I declined and I opted instead for a new Para2 with (yup) digicam/satin S30V.

The Yo2 seems nice. But I'm just all about the Para2 these days. And when (if) my obsession for the Para2 subsides , there will be plenty of time for the Yo2 and other Spydies. But it's not right now.

Para2 for Life !!!