Talk me into a paramilitary 2 ( satin S30V black handle)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
suedeface

Talk me into a paramilitary 2 ( satin S30V black handle)

Post by suedeface »

Just to make this clear from the start, I try not to spend more than about $50 for a knife. I have spent more than that a few times before, but I find that a knife in the $20-$60 range is the best as far as price/value/performance go, (that's why my most carried and used knives are in the delica/salt1/ or endura category.) So far I have been satisfied with these knives.
I recently sold some stuff and have about $100 and I have been seriously considering the paramilitary 2, standard satin blade in S30V, black handles. I'm aware of the sprint runs, and I think they're cool, but I don't really like any handle color but black, and the steel Victorinox uses for their knives is one of my favorites, so I'm sure the S30V will work far beyond what I'm used to. I have also used VG-10 extensively and have been pleased. This will be my first S30V blade by the way.
From what I see, the para 2 , even though slightly out of my comfort range is a great value compared to what other makers are offering, not to mention it's made in the U.S. So, Talk me into a para 2! I most likely will buy one anyway, but any comments you can give me will help seal the deal. What I really want to know is:

How is the S30V? Can it take a fine, razor edge? good corrosion resistance? Is it brittle, or prone to chipping as I have read?

How is the compression lock? It looks interesting, and is it easy to keep clean? How is the longevity compared to a liner lock?

How fragile of a tip does the knife have? Remember, I EDC a FFG delica and haven't had any problems. I don't abuse my knives ( but I do use them well)

How is the hardware? I don't usually take my knives apart, but a pivot adjustment or maybe a clip reversal is commonplace for me.

Could someone PLEASE! post a spine shot of the knife compared to a FFG delica or dragonfly? I've watched so may reviews on youtube, but most people neglect to show a good solid spine shot w/ the tip of the knife included.

THANK YOU for your comments...I love reading about this stuff...
flyingscotsman

Post by flyingscotsman »

I have 2 para 2's and have used both (the dlc blade more) a lot, for outdoors, camping in the wilds and general chores (some relatively hard use -i dont baby it but do respect it). They are perfect. The s30v is a very fine steel and has never chipped once, so dont know where that comes from, just not in my personal experience, and feel that if it did have these probs would have been replaced by Sal some time ago as a steel option. Oh and it sharpens very nicely as well, even on the fly.Compression - solid, perfect for me. Dust, debris yes -its an open frame knife - solution - water, shake dry / air duster.
Precise and beautifully made in Colorado - micro adjustments no problem and screws dont thread in my experience. Zero play up or down side to side and light as the proverbial feather.
In 2 words - buy it, and dont look back. the handle is 4 3/4 long and i would argue will fit any mitt size - its that good. Is there a better 3.5" edc? Answers on a postcard please
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Oh man. I don't know where to start. Yes, you want one. Yes it's worth every penny.
The lock is probably my favorite part.[video=youtube_share;YQMq2HLJ29s]http://youtu.be/YQMq2HLJ29s[/video]
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If you're used to VG10, you won't be missing anything by avoiding sprints. S30V has enough edge holding over VG10 to feel like a decent step up, and it doesn't take much (if any) more to sharpen than VG10. Once you really EDC a Para 2, you'll understand why it costs more than the knives you currently own. You really do get what you pay for.

S30V will chip before it rolls, but it's far from brittle and "chip prone". Also consider that a chipped edge will still cut...a rolled edge will slide across your skin and tickle.

Compression locks are my favorite lock. Longevity compared to a liner lock is IMO far superior, because you have 3 points of contact instead of just 2 with a liner lock.

As for the tip, if you EDC a FFG Delica, you'll be fine. It's been a while since i handled a FFG Delica, but if i recall the tip is thinner than the Para 2's. Just don't use it as a throwing knife and you'll be fine.

Hardware is fantastic. They benefit from the "modern" larger screw construction, as opposed to the older smaller style screws like the Military still uses. They strip less and since they're bigger, they add some structural strength.

I'd post a spine pic, but my Delica is a saber grind. I did just make a video of my new Yojimbo 2, which i did a spine/tip comparison with a Vallotton Sub-Hilt...which won't help you by comparison sakes but the tip of the Yo 2 is just slightly thinner than a Para 2 so it'll give you an idea of what it looks like. I wouldn't at all call it a fragile tip. It'll take anything the Delica/Dragonfly can take and then some. The blade is obviously thicker, so comparably it won't slice as good as a FFG Delica will, but then you gain a lot of strength with that thickness, both in the blade and in the pivot, so it's a trade off. That said, i also wouldn't say the Para 2 is a poor slicer, i've cut miles of cardboard with mine and they sail through it.

Here's the video.
[video=youtube;nJlAWi1FAJw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJlAWi1FAJw[/video]
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

There are hundreds of reviews, posts and vids. A loyal following doesn't mean it's perfect for everyone but rather a large and/or passionate demographic.

As you know yourself far better than we do I trust your decision :) .
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

Don't even think about it. Just get one.

Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
thelock

Post by thelock »

Best utility knife ever!
:spyder: Paramilitary 2
:spyder: Bob Lum Tanto Sprint
:spyder: Anso Zulu
:spyder: Szabo Folder
:spyder: Delica ZDP-189
:spyder: SS Kiwi
:spyder: SS Bug set
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

It sounds like you made up your mind, so just get one.

I am in the minority, but the PM2 just didn't work for me. It's a nice knife, but wasn't for me. I can't really put my finger on what I didn't like about it. Just one of those things. I much prefer the stretch or caly 3.5 to the PM2.
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

It's one of the best ever to come out of Golden. S30V's been tested and proven to be a great steel, it's a good compromise between edge holding, durability, and sharpening ease. Considering every ~$50 dollar knives I own, including other Spydies, the Para 2 is worth the jump in price range. The only other user knife I own and value more are the S90V/20CP versions. :)
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

It's 5AM here and I had poor lighting. Took a spine shot of the Para2 and Dragonfly2 Salt with the Military.

Hope it helps even a little :)
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
deep6

Post by deep6 »

Never payed more than $100.00 for a knife before, my most expensive knife WAS a BM556. If you like knives, you have to check out the PM2. Extreme quality and F/F for the price, well worth it.
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

I have quite a handful of Spydies. Not as much as some of the hard core Spyderco collectors here.... but... quite a few. Let's put it that way: If I would sell all of my Spydies, I could get a decent used car for it.

Since the satin blade black handled Para2 joined the club and went into my RFP, my Spyderco collecting habit slowed down considerably. It even kicked the Carbon ZDP Stretch2 out of my pocket, and that wasn't easy.
Even if you won't like the P2 as much as hundreds of buyers do, you will have a really, really nice knife in your collection that is definitely worth owning. If you are similar to me, it will hurt your future Spydie purchases, because you'll be just fine with what you are already carrying.

Bottom line: get one, you won't regret it. Anyone who likes Spydie knives just HAS to own one eventually. That is: get one. Seriously. Don't like it: sell it easily, it is on backorder most of the time anyway.
cheers

Dennis
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

As you can see , most of the Spyderco community has a love affair with the Para2. Myself included. There's just something about it that makes it a fantastic knife. The sweet S30V blade , skeletonized liners , awesome Compression Lock ... it all just works great together. It's a good weight , a good size and feels great in the hand. There's a reason why the Para2 still continues to sell out fast everywhere. You will be thrilled with it.
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

I own six PM2's in various blade-steels. I really like 'em.
Sonny
SDR

Yep ~ You need one!

Post by SDR »

**Owning a Para 2 has improved my love life by 1000% ~ Hot babes throw themselves at me when I carry my Para 2! I am walking taller and have more confidence since I bought my first Para 2. My boss gave me a 500% raise ~ And I don't even have a job! The sun's rays are always shining down upon me ~ Even on rainy days. The wind is always at my back and the sky is a much bluer shade of blue ~ Even at night. Birds are always singing my favorite song, accompanied by a full orchestra. With a Para 2 in my pocket, I hit the lottery every time I play and my horse always wins when I'm at the track.

All that, plus it's just a great knife! What more do you need to hear? Get one, you won't regret it!
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Any questions?[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

** Slightly embellished to convince the OP he needs one. :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Digicam DLC Paramilitary 2 ~ S30V * Titanium Military ~ S30V * Digicam DLC Military ~ S30V * Brown Paramilitary 2 CPM-S35VN * Orange Paramilitary 2 ~ CTS-XHP * Green Paramilitary 2 ~ CTS-204P * Black Native ~ CPM-S30V *Sharpmaker w/Diamond Rods & Ultra-Fine Stones
Holland

Post by Holland »

best knife for the money hands down
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Nah. Don't get one.

More for me. :)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I usually try to talk myself out of a knife. If that fails it goes into the shopping cart. :)

Talking yourself into a purchase is easy!
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

Blerv wrote:I usually try to talk myself out of a knife. If that fails it goes into the shopping cart. :)

Talking yourself into a purchase is easy!
Haha. Agreed.