Shootout: M390 vs S90V CF Military's Edge retention on 5/8" Manila rope

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ankerson

Shootout: M390 vs S90V CF Military's Edge retention on 5/8" Manila rope

Post by Ankerson »

Been wanting to do this for awhile, a direct straight edge retention comparison between these two steels. They are very close in performance, closer than some would believe. Both knives are CF Sprint run Military's sharpened to 400 grit Congress Moldmaster finish at 15 degrees per side. This leaves IMO the optimal edge finish for maximum edge retention and cutting efficiency.

The Test:

Slicing 5/8" Manila rope checking every 20 cuts for down force and cutting was continued until 20 LBS was reached. Starting force was 11 LBS for both knives and after 20 cuts both knives were at 14 LBS.

The Steels:

M390

C - 1.9%
Mo - 1.0%
Si - .70%
W - .60%
Cr - 20%
Mn - .30%
V - 4.0%

CPM S90V

C - 2.30%
Mo - 1.0%
Cr - 14.0%
V - 9.0%

M390

Cut aggressive with the edge finish and took some edge damage as expected as all steels have, it was still sharp enough to slice printer paper after testing.

CPM S90V

Very Aggressive with the edge finish and as with M390 it took some edge damage, but slightly less. Sharp enough to slice printer paper after testing.

Knives together.

Results:

Both knives performed extremely well as expected with S90V over M390 in the end by 21% or 460 to 380 cuts.

Very close as I expected it to be, under normal use most wouldn't be able to tell them apart depending on actual use unless they were pushed to the limit of edge retention. In that case the added Vanadium content of S90V at 9% over M390 at 4% would take over.
sal

Post by sal »

Nicely done Jim.

Those vanadium carbides do help with longevity.

It's a fun game to watch foundry's race, jump higher and run faster so we can improve the "edge".

sal
xavierdoc

Post by xavierdoc »

21% is not insignificant. Not sure how big a difference would have to be for a user to detect in real world conditions, more than that, I agree.
UKPK G10, UKPK Ti, Para 2CF&20CP, Stretch CF, Stretch CF conv, Manix2 M4,Endura Wave, Endura ZDP189, Pacific Salt, Captain, Gunting S30v, P'Kal, Gayle Bradley,Atlantic Salt, Spyderhawk, Crossbill, Wings slipit
Mules: CTSBD1, Super Blue, S90V, VG10, S35VN, Cos-3, M390 Fixed: Bushcraft, Warrior
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

sal wrote:Nicely done Jim.

Those vanadium carbides do help with longevity.

It's a run game to watch foundries race, jump higher and run faster so we can improve the "edge".

sal
sal

Hi Sal,

Thanks. :)

It's been a long time coming and I wanted to use Military's to do it to give both the best chance at high performance and to keep the variables down. :)

Turned out as expected when they are pushed to their limit. :spyder:
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

xavierdoc wrote:21% is not insignificant. Not sure how big a difference would have to be for a user to detect in real world conditions, more than that, I agree.
You are correct, it's pretty close though, not like the 400% + differences I have seen in testing. :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The question is, how different are the two from a sharpening standpoint? How much work does it take to reprofile the two? I came to this conclusion that for me these higher end steels are a bit of a waste since i don't mind touching up my edge everyday (i'm a sucker for that fresh off the stone edge) so if i could get this close to S90V performance and spend less time working on the bevels to keep them there, then i'd be very interested.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Nice Jim.

I've been waiting for you to run these two head to head. About as I'd expect, but good to see.

Thanks for doing it.

Ken
玉鋼
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Evil D wrote:The question is, how different are the two from a sharpening standpoint? How much work does it take to reprofile the two? I came to this conclusion that for me these higher end steels are a bit of a waste since i don't mind touching up my edge everyday (i'm a sucker for that fresh off the stone edge) so if i could get this close to S90V performance and spend less time working on the bevels to keep them there, then i'd be very interested.
A lot will depend on what you are sharpening with, but in general say in reprofiling or repairing S90V is noticeably harder to work with.

Basic sharpening, neither is too bad with M390 being easier.

That's depending on what one is using as I said.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

kbuzbee wrote:Nice Jim.

I've been waiting for you to run these two head to head. About as I'd expect, but good to see.

Thanks for doing it.

Ken
Thanks, results are as expected really due to alloy content, both are excellent steels that will cut for a very long time.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm using an Edge Pro with the standard stones it came with. I was concerned about 20CP but i found it to be quite easy to reprofile with the 120 stone, but it does seem to require a bit more attention at the very edge to get it as sharp as S30V.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Evil D wrote:I'm using an Edge Pro with the standard stones it came with. I was concerned about 20CP but i found it to be quite easy to reprofile with the 120 stone, but it does seem to require a bit more attention at the very edge to get it as sharp as S30V.
You will be fine with either, M390 will take less time to get screaming sharp than S90V (20CP).

M390 will take a blow your mind edge...
SteelSnob

Post by SteelSnob »

VERY cool. I love the M390 Millie, and wish I had an S90V one also. I will say that M390/20CV is still my favorite steel to date. Thanks Jim! :)
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Very nice write up! Thank you for taking the time to put it all together and present it here. :)
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

SteelSnob wrote:VERY cool. I love the M390 Millie, and wish I had an S90V one also. I will say that M390/20CV is still my favorite steel to date. Thanks Jim! :)
Excellent steels all of them. :)
ChapmanPreferred wrote:Very nice write up! Thank you for taking the time to put it all together and present it here. :)
Thanks. :)
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Thanks for that test Jim. 21% is a lot...but like you said, not a lot compared to 400%. Have you done the same test, head to head, with a S30V Military?

Hmm, I think that it is time for a 20CV Military.
On the hunt for...
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Thanks for the test, it must have been tough on the arm... :)

I like both, but prefer M390 for its easier sharpening. Its also a little bit tougher than S90v at the same hardness, with better corrosion resistance, so IMHO its a slightly better all rounder.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Jurisprudence

Post by Jurisprudence »

Interesting. Thanks, Jim. The 21% gives some perspective on the categories in your review on BF. If I recall correctly, one S90v knife came in a category lower than M390 and another s90v, due to a minor difference in RC. Prior to this post, I had not wrapped my head around how important RC and how much variation in edge retention that may result. Thanks again.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Thanks for that test Jim. 21% is a lot...but like you said, not a lot compared to 400%. Have you done the same test, head to head, with a S30V Military?

Hmm, I think that it is time for a 20CV Military.
Have 2 here in S30V, haven't planned on it, I could do one between S30V and XHP. :)
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Jurisprudence wrote:Interesting. Thanks, Jim. The 21% gives some perspective on the categories in your review on BF. If I recall correctly, one S90v knife came in a category lower than M390 and another s90v, due to a minor difference in RC. Prior to this post, I had not wrapped my head around how important RC and how much variation in edge retention that may result. Thanks again.
Not sure of the hardness on the M390 knife, the S90V knife is at 60 HRC.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Very nice work. Thanks for the testing, Jim.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!