New spyderco addict, what should I get next?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
longun

New spyderco addict, what should I get next?

Post by longun »

I am new to Spyderco knives. I currently have a Delica 4 and a Tenacious. I also have an Endura 4 ordered and on the way. I think that covers the back lock and liner lock knives. I would like to try a ball bearing lock next. Followed by a compression lock, and a Chris Reeve style lock.
For right now I'm looking for advice on a ball bearing and compression lock knives.
My problem is, I don't know which knives have which type of locks. Does anyone know where Spyderco's are listed by locks?
And any thoughts on which knife to buy next?
Invective

Post by Invective »

http://spydercosource.com/ would probably be your best bet. It has a column on the right that separates the knives based on length, designer, features, handle material, type of lock, where it is made, steel type, and application of knife so looking under lock should work for you.

http://spydercosource.com/category/ballbearing-lock/
http://spydercosource.com/category/lock ... sion-lock/

Here are the two subsections you were interested in and welcome to the forums!
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Welcome to the forum!
There are four current knives with comp locks:
Junior
Para Military 2
Yojimbo 2 (very hard to get at the moment)
Superleaf

There are three with BBL's:
P'kal
Manix 2
Manix XL

Hope that helps.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Longun,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

sal
Mud Shrimp Moe

Post by Mud Shrimp Moe »

If you like the size of the Tenacious, then I suggest you get a Manix 2 and a Paramilitary 2. These two models are almost universally admired as sure bets.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Don't try to choose between them, it's impossible. I've been looking at both for a long time and I still haven't made up my mind :rolleyes:
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Welcome Longun :) Enjoy the forum.

Get what you like, can afford, and use. A coworker let me have a pretty used Tenacious to sharpen. It was sharpened, adjusted, used and generally looked after for several days. I'm pretty sure he'll be very happy to see it tomorrow ;)

Learn, decide what's best for you, then show it off and enjoy :D
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Coulro

Post by Coulro »

The quintessential para 2 or the new super seller yo 2 if you're looking for a compression lock. For BB you should be able to find an orange dodo around relatively easily, a opportunity that won't be around forever.
longun

Post by longun »

Thank you guys for your advice and info. And the spydercosource web site is another place to me to drool over. I've been leaning toward the Manix 2 for a BB lock. Still unsure which compression lock I might end up with.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Welcome to the Forum, longun. :)

Just my two pennies:

For a compression lock, I'd highly recommend the Yojimbo II. Although they are presently tough to find, I've heard rumors that there are more on the way soon. You will not be disappointed with this knife.

Secondly, for a ball-bearing lock, I would personally recommend you look at the Poliwog. Yes, the 'Wog has been unfortunately discontinued, but you can still find them at fairly reasonable prices if you shop around online. It's a great little blade and is certainly unique in its own right.

Good luck and hope to see you around!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

Manbug, fantastic pocket knife.